Author Topic: TacT is OUT, Lamm is IN  (Read 9163 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
TacT is OUT, Lamm is IN
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 02:50:27 PM »
The EEMM Pre is a component I recommend regularly.  The stock tubes are 'fine' until you start rolling new ones.  Then 'fine' becomes 'unacceptable'. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

jrebman

TacT is OUT, Lamm is IN
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 03:18:53 PM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
The EEMM Pre is a component I recommend regularly.  The stock tubes are 'fine' until you start rolling new ones.  Then 'fine' becomes 'unacceptable'. ;)

Carl,

And this one is modded to take it way beyond the stock unit.  One of the mods allows for the use of the 12fq7 or 6414 in the middle tube position.  The 12fq7 is said to have a sonic signature very much like the 6sn7.  The 6414 is very nice too -- according to Bill, and he says it has a very nice bottom end.  Consider that Quicksilver is the most well-know user of the 12fq7 and Manley, the 6414, and that probably already says a lot.  I have a very nice selection of NOS tubes for it  -- RCA, Raytheon, GE, Mullard, CBS/Hytron, Siemens, Telefunken, Amperex Bugle Boy and Raytheon, Sylvania, Gold Lion/Mullard rectifiers.  Lots of flavors to choose from there.

I also had the gain cut to 9dB instead of the stock 20dB -- the Signature 70s have a gain of 32 dB, and I'd like to have a bit more granularity in the volume adjustment on the preamp.

I'll eventually have to decide on a power cord for it -- of course I'm thinking BSC Silver Ref or Violet, but not sure which would work best.

Now if the damned interconnects would get here I'd be able to listen to the bloody thing :-)  Today, today -- I hope!

-- Jim

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
TacT is OUT, Lamm is IN
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 04:11:51 PM »
You sure you got enough tubes, there?  :lol:  
I'm curious how you like the CBS, Raytheon and the RCA's... all the others are good stuff too but those 3 are special IMO (in my opinion).
I really enjoy listening to music.

jrebman

TacT is OUT, Lamm is IN
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 04:37:21 PM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
You sure you got enough tubes, there?  :lol:  
I'm curious how you like the CBS, Raytheon and the RCA's... all the others are good stuff too but those 3 are special IMO (in my opinion).

Are there ever enough tubes?  Well, maybe there are, and maybe I'm there, but only time and experimentation will tell.

It's all about the synergy of the system as a whole, and I have a feeling that there is a combination or two that I might prefer with Vinyl, one for digital, and so on.

No, I'm not going to get to the level of nervosa wher I'm switching tubes for every different recording, but for different sources -- possibly.

Where's the postman? Where's the postman?! :-)

-- Jim