Author Topic: Alan Maher's Quantum Speaker Cable filters – Kaboom!  (Read 8981 times)

Phil

Alan Maher's Quantum Speaker Cable filters – Kaboom!
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:51:26 PM »
Also posted on AC.  I know many are interested in Alan's stuff.

This is the second “quantum” filter from the mind and hand of Alan Maher I’ve tried.  Since I’m assuming that diminishing returns always apply – my system already includes quite a few of Alan’s filters – I was expecting a modest effect.  And it was modest when the filter resided on the speaker.  It sat there for five weeks breaking in. 

On Alan’s advice, I switched the filter to the amp and waited a few days.  Kaboom!  Instant holographic soundstage.  In other words, the quantum SC excels at spatial information.  But not just the sound of the venue, it also reveals the individual space occupied by different instruments.  Along with the filter’s benefits to timbre, the filter provides an organic, very natural, fleshed-out view of instruments.  Well, not a view, since it is more like just listening to live music. 

That said, you do need to feed it a good signal.  While my source/preamp was being upgraded (a whole other story – Alex Paychev is a genius), a DVD was the source.  Awful stuff.  But, feed a good signal and the gains are considerable. 

Needless to say, the speaker cable works wonderfully with the Quantum AC filter (now called the studio, I believe).  This is really good stuff.  Too good to keep to oneself.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Alan Maher's Quantum Speaker Cable filters – Kaboom!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:45:27 PM »
Damn, Phil!  I've already been Maherized with the Quantum Studio, Ref IIs, PE, Infinity Shield & CB. All great stuff that are definitely cumulative but I have not tried the Quantum speaker cable filters (yet).  My wallet and I were kinda hoping to silently avoid his Black Friday sale....

But noooo, you had to post your Kaboom!   :rofl: :drool:

Thanks... interesting effect shifting from speaker end to amp end.

Phil

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 03:18:16 PM »
Sorry, Mike!  I kinda thought this might stir your nervosa but we must report objectively!  Wish I understood how they work on the amp side.  It is as if the source and amp didn't quite mate perfectly until the filter, but they are on the amp's binding post so I can't see how that could be right.

I'm curious about where you have placed the infinity shield and CBF (in audio circuits or on non-audio circuits).

In my own case, to understand the changes in my upgraded source (which now sings so wonderfully  :drool:), I bravely, if I do say so myself, removed the CBF and infinity shield.  Thus only the Quantum AC remained for an apples-to-apples comparison. 

The system needs more settling in (so does my brain and patience) before the two filters are re-inserted.  The CBF might go into the source, not sure.  Non-audio circuits would also be interesting (or both given the price). 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 03:18:53 PM »
Damn, Phil!  I've already been Maherized with the Quantum Studio, Ref IIs, PE, Infinity Shield & CB. All great stuff that are definitely cumulative but I have not tried the Quantum speaker cable filters (yet).  My wallet and I were kinda hoping to silently avoid his Black Friday sale....

But noooo, you had to post your Kaboom!   :rofl: :drool:

Thanks... interesting effect shifting from speaker end to amp end.

I'm with you. :drool: :thumb:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 11:54:32 AM »
For those who haven't been on Alan's web site in a while they will be holding a Black Friday sale Nov 27-29 with 20% off (almost) everything pre-ordered during that time frame. Man toys just in time for the holidays.  :drool: (I don't know if that is good or bad! :lol:)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 06:49:05 AM »
  COOL ! OK so still not sure about Alans' devices. Last week the stereo did not sound the same. So checked tube bias. Fine. Checked voltage . Fine. Cleaned and Fluxbusted the cart. Still not happy. WTF. Well quess what the CBF fell off the panel cover. Once reinstalled after about 15 20 minutes it was back in spades. IT WILL NEVER COME OFF AGAIN. Hot glued the sucker. Time for more .  That to me was the test. Unintended thats what made me a true believer.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:26:41 AM »
Love the hot glue idea. I just hope you never have to change the breaker.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 05:34:30 AM »

The cover Tom the cover. Odering four more. One to be placed on front end circuit and outlet box of same. on outlet box for previously treated circuit. One will be placed inside the CDP over the DAC chip. and the last on the powercord to the TT.

charles

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 06:14:40 AM »
That makes me feel a little better. The pictures I saw on Alan'ssite show then attached right to the breaker itself. I tried to order some CBFs, but they are out of stock until Alan returns in Dec.  :(

But I guess good things come to those who wait.......

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Jen Maher

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 06:44:05 AM »
tmazz-

We have plenty of CBF's in stock.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 07:26:12 PM »
Ordered mine today - can't wait to play with the new toys.    :D/

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

AcidJazz

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 08:48:40 PM »

The cover Tom the cover. Odering four more. One to be placed on front end circuit and outlet box of same. on outlet box for previously treated circuit. One will be placed inside the CDP over the DAC chip. and the last on the powercord to the TT.

charles

Know what they say about too much of a good thang...  :lol:

I tried two in my system, and found that it "damped" down notably on the sparkle and dynamics. Removed the one I had downstream at the entry of my conditioner, and the sound opened up again. Just the one at the dedicated wall outlet seem to work best for me. <can't place it at the fusebox because its right over my stove, and an open panel there is not an option.>
I am about 5 days in since placement, and am liking the "enhancement" I am hearing.
Amazing.

Jen Maher

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 08:23:31 AM »
Hi AcidJazz-

I just wanted to chime in and say the Infinity CBF has different reactions depending on where it is installed.  When placed at the circuit panel, the CBF will present a brighter tonal quality to give the impression of increased soundstage size and detail.  Installed over the spare receptacle at the AV duplex, the CBF will greatly lower ringing noise on the circuit and dramatically increase dynamics and tonal purity of the entire musical spectrum.  It is not surprising that you may have experienced a massive roll off after first installing the CBF... this is absolutely normal for the initial install.  Seven days later the roll off will disappear and begin to open up.  At week four, the soundstage will explode wide open with pinpoint imaging and layering due to the return of the top end extension and detail.  Installed inside a component, depending on what part is treated, the CBF can either increase dynamics and open the size of the soundstage or it could provide better tonal purity to a DAC chip that is not maybe of the highest quality.  However, I cannot stress enough to install the CBF and pass no judgement until week four.  Hope my two cents gain interest!

Thank you!

AlanMaher

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 10:37:36 PM »
Phil

How are the filters now?

AcidJazz

I agree with Jen,the CBF needs to be installed for 4 weeks before passing judgement...if the circuit damps down after a couple of minutes of installing the CBF that is a good thing and a good sign the CBF will sound spectacular 4 weeks later after the circuit stabilizes.