Author Topic: Mind games ???  (Read 7117 times)

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: Mind games ???
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 09:29:40 AM »
The accommodation effect is one reason I like single blind tests where a subtle difference between DUTs may exist. I also prefer an A-B-A format. I will confess that most of the time I don't chase subtle improvements, I like to catch bigger fish. The HOLY CRAP! moment is what I look forward to when listening to new gear or new music. If you wonder if you heard an improvement is it really worth the effort. For my self, life is too short to obsess about the little things.
Scotty

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 09:42:02 AM »
Bill,
Rather than ask permission to post any further replies to your original E-mail, why don't you give them a link to this thread and encourage them to register with AN themselves and get involved in this discussion first hand.

Tom

Excellent suggestion. Good topic BTW. For me the sound we grew up with was tubed. My Dad was not an audiophile but sold TVs and stereos back in the 50s and 60s. We had several tubed consoles. Listenmed to a lot of Sinatra, Count Basie and such. The sound was rich warm and dynamic. never thin or bright. So that was my reference growing up.
   Many years later when I got in to this hobby by accident the sound I heardthat day at Stereo Exchange brought back found memories and that cozy feeling. The demo consisted of Apogee speakers and Counterpoint gear. A TT was used a Linn LP12 which I still have. We listened to some SS gear which did not float my boat at the time.
  I guess I'm a tube man because that was my first experience in sound as a kid. Both SS and tubes have come a long way since my first audition in the 70s. Today either format gives me goosebumps. Go figure.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 10:45:55 AM »
My first exposure to the sound of music played on a home stereo started when my father purchased Sears Silvertone tube gear. He purchased an integrated amplfier with a ceramic phonostage and Stereo tuner with the tuning eye. He also built his own loudspeakers using Sears Silvertone drivers. My dad was heavily into classical music and I went to sleep many nights to the sound of classical music playing in the living room.
The sound of tube gear was not considered separately from the music itself,it was 1962 and tubes were the technology of the day. It was my exposure to the sound of live music in elementary school and high school and later as a music major in college that help form my expectations from reproduced music.  I wanted to recreate the sound of real instruments and people in my living room. For me the technology employed is not important it is the end result that I am interested in. As a point of fact I don't really want my equipment making editorial comments to the music. Right now I am using custom SS gear for my preamp and power amp as it is the most cost effective means to an end that I can employ.
Scotty

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 12:10:24 PM »
Bill,
Rather than ask permission to post any further replies to your original E-mail, why don't you give them a link to this thread and encourage them to register with AN themselves and get involved in this discussion first hand.

Tom

Consider it done.  I have e-mailed the link to AN to both Paul and Greg, so they can join up and join in.  Great idea!

Thanx!
Bill
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L