Author Topic: Perfectionism  (Read 10664 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Perfectionism
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 02:35:26 PM »
I occasionally discover a new flaw in my system. My brain locks onto the flaw and hears more and more of it. Then it's a done deal, eventually I will have to kill the problem, or it will drive me nuts. Sometimes it takes a day, sometimes it takes months to fix it.

It happens either right after an upgrade which then allows me to hear a new distortion that was previously masked, or going to hear other people's systems which don't share the same flaws as mine lets me hear the hidden flaws in mine when I get home which would otherwise go unnoticed without the new reference.

For me the constant learning and improvement is a big part of the fun, and the listening gets better each tweak so I guess it's worth it.  Remembering that when the going gets tough is the trick for me.

Bigfish8

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 06:34:56 PM »
I love this thread!  It helps me to realize I am not alone in the quest to improve a system.  Oh heck, what next a new PC, a new preamp, etc, etc, etc.   :rofl:

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 07:14:42 AM »
Symphony ain't live anymore either. Now they hang a monitor stack 50 feet above the band.  Probably because most patrons are 90yo and can't hear shit.  But if you sit close enough it just shoots over your head.

Charles I thought you were 1/2way full of it when you gently and kindly reviewed the Altmann DAC as "OK, but..."  Now with my new DAC I realize you were right.It does make a huge difference. But while Altmann was away visiting you I couldn't stand to listen to the Squeezebox, which was fine for a year when I first got started. So until you see what's available you don't know what you're missing. Double edged sword, IMO.  I was worried that, like all other upgrades I have undertaken, the new DAC would reveal even more problems, but instead it only solved. Hallelujah! Maybe I have crested? Well, maybe on the DAC anyway....

DAC and wires are solved. Maybe not perfect, but good enough for now. I think with acoustics coming along next that problems I associate with speaker and amp will improve or resolve.  Here's hopin.,

Rich you hit the proverbial nail on the head my man. "you don't know what your missing". BTW Rich do you know what amps Usher used in voicing your speakers?   

charles           
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 07:28:29 AM »
They probably used their own R1.5 stereo amp.

It is a nice little amp, some great reviews on it. I've heard it a couple times at shows, and a friend owns it, I think he's pretty happy with it on his Usher speakers.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 08:24:20 AM »
Yes, but what wires, source, room.. etc. etc.. hahaha.. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 08:53:44 AM »
I liked Ken's note early in this thread where he said he was going to try to take a break from upgraditis.  I've said that a few times myself (usually shortly before I buy something else ;-)   

What's the longest anyone's gone without upgrading, swapping or replacing something within your audio system?   Before engaging online in this hobby, I usually went a year or so without upgrading something.  But over the last couple years as I've engaged far more in forums such as this, the frequency has definitely increased, but then so has my level of interest and learning.   And, in truth, buying and selling used has generally meant keeping the overall expenditure level fairly low.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 09:20:55 AM »
About 14 years ago, I got out of 2 channel and into more HT.  I upgraded everything and didn't really do much for about 6 years or so. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

shep

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 09:36:21 AM »
I managed to go ten years without. Then I started surfing and got hooked. Hmm there's a bad pun in there.
Now I'm fretting and fussing and looking for better speaker cables. It's not for nothing we call it Nervosa.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 10:00:32 AM »
I went 19 years without a good music system. But I had other perfectionist hobbies.

bacobits

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 11:16:09 AM »
About every 9 months or so something changes here.

Den

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 11:35:16 AM »
Gestation period?  :-P

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 12:12:05 PM »
Den, let's hope it takes you at least that long to change your profile picture  :rofl: :yay2:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 12:43:03 PM »
Yeah and let's have the other end next time.  :D

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 05:02:41 AM »
Gentlemen
I am afraid that the problem with perfection is that we will always want to improve upon it. Its the nature of the beast within us. Its not until we screw up that perfection that we realize how good we had it. I remember when I had it, once, some time ago.
It was before I caught up in magazine reviews of equipments I could not afford. It was when I would not be interrupted by dinner or the phone, until I was done listening. At some point, most of life is trying to get back to a place you have already been. I am still trying to get back there.

Henry
with new speakers  (as the search continues)
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 05:32:49 AM »
Henry, I hear you are getting closer all the time.. glad to know you're on the right track! 8)

Perfection is a funny word.. an unobtainable goal that drives us to do better.  It has inspired many people to do many things.  It's unquantifiable so it can never be finished.  You can only measure what you have against what you had.  And you only know what you're measuring when you get to that point.  It's interesting to think about what I will be looking back at next.. will I laugh at how complex or how simple it was?  It seems like you only know the glory days once they're gone.  But sometimes I know.  And learning to spot the good times is the best we can do.
I really enjoy listening to music.