Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

Phono pre amp question

(1/5) > >>

long_island_audio_nut:
I am in the market for a phono pre amp.  I am seriously considering the Coincident.  Issue is I spoke to them and they do not offer any demo.  They sell direct.
I don't mind spending the money, and I have read reviews that praise the pre-amp, but spending 7k and not being able to hear it is another story. 
Can anyone sheard some light on this?
My email is peteolivieri@verizon.net

GDHAL:
Hi Pete. Welcome to the forum.  :D

I know next to nothing about phono preamps, because I'm all digital.

However, as an owner of the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, I do know about direct sales. Cutting out the dealer (A.K.A 'middleman") is really advantageous for you, because it winds up saving you money.

What I am a little skeptical and surprised about though, is that coincident doesn't appear to offer a restocking return option. At least not according to their website. You could call them and question that and say hey competitors in this space such as Schiit Audio, do offer a return option albeit you have 15 days to do so and a 15% restocking fee, so it isn't exactly cheap if you go that route either but it's better than being stuck with a brick.

I don't think it would hurt to call them or email them to inquire about that.

Best.

Hal

long_island_audio_nut:
Thanks for the reply
I did call them,  You buy it you own it. 

Their reviews are great.  Reviewers compare it to $40K phono pre amps.  Just concerns me that they do not offer any kind of demo

They keep the price down by selling direct but........

GDHAL:

--- Quote from: long_island_audio_nut on April 18, 2023, 07:09:50 AM ---Thanks for the reply
I did call them,  You buy it you own it. 

Their reviews are great.  Reviewers compare it to $40K phono pre amps.  Just concerns me that they do not offer any kind of demo

They keep the price down by selling direct but........

--- End quote ---

You're welcome. I hear/read you. Frankly I don't understand their being so adamant. At that price point it certainly is risky, but on the other hand, if you do extra due diligence , perhaps speak with existing owners in addition to reading reviews, at least you can make an informed decision.

Also, keep in mind, often is the case that if you go to listen, that too presents two challenges. One is that more often than not dealer showrooms are set up like crap from a sonic perspective. Secondly, unless you bring your own gear as in speakers, amplifier, turntable and other components that would go along with the phono preamp, you really can't get the best sense of how it's going to sound in your particular case anyway. System synergy goes a long way.

Lastly, I did send you an email directly at the address that you left in one of your posts and it bounced back as being invalid. I was curious whereabouts on Long Island you're from. I glean that you're from Long Island giving your username. I am in Freeport , zip code 11520.

Best.

Hal

GDHAL:
Pete, if you're on Long Island, I just thought of a game plan for you :lol: :thumb:

Are you familiar with Audio Breakthroughs?

They're located in Manhasset, and they've been in business for well over 30 years. The owner's name is Bruce so if you do call over there you can tell him I (Hal) referred you.

Conceivably you could get the dealer at audio breakthroughs to purchase the unit on your behalf. Of course, there's an upcharge for doing that, but at the price point we're talking about it's not going to be more than 2 or 300 bucks.

If they buy it on your behalf and then you have an issue you have an easier route and more clout to return it. And also you would have a second party to return it to, which would be audio breakthroughs for a store credit of some kind.

Just a friendly suggestion, thinking outside of the box.  8)

Best.

Hal

Edit: I'm thinking some more and in furtherance of this it's conceivable you actually could save money by going through a dealership, even though coincident doesn't deal with dealerships. The dealership just has to claim that you're interested in buying let's say 30k worth of other electronics/speakers from them and it hinges upon you getting this phono preamp that you always wanted that they don't carry. Sometimes , dealerships can get a courtesy discount from audio related manufacturers that only sell direct. So while coincident may charge you 7K, they may charge the dealership 6.8 k.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version