Author Topic: Wyred 4 Sound's New DAC  (Read 15992 times)

Black Sand Cable

Wyred 4 Sound's New DAC
« on: March 13, 2010, 08:47:17 AM »
Is roughly two weeks away!

I'm pumped over this piece as it's using a better chip than the Oppo SE, Nova and a host of others that are currently out and given the guys at W4S are throwing everything they have at it, I'm expecting it to be a giant killer.

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/site/74030/117839/shopping/shopping-view.html?pid=396494&b_id=&find_groupid=18157

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Wyred 4 Sound's New DAC
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:48:52 AM »
Nice price.  Keep up posted.

shep

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 09:08:55 AM »
Being a fan of these guys, I am interested indeed.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:38:27 AM »
 The price is certainly fair. Good company. Keep us posted.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »
Details sent out today in W4S's newsletter (INCLUDING RELEASE DATES):

Two versions will be offered.  We will have one for those looking for a DAC to focus mainly on SPDIF sources and to operate as a stand-along unit.  This will be the DAC-1.  We will also offer the DAC-2; it will offer more inputs including the overdue 24 bit / 92kHz Asynchronous USB interface, volume control, remote control and HT bypass.  We are currently processing photos, and specs on the DACs, so please be patient, they're coming very soon.

DAC-1 product information

The DAC-1 will be offered with the following features:

* ESS 9018 Sabre32 Reference DAC (32-bit dac)
    * W4S proprietary discrete output stages for optimum sonics
    * ESS Time Domain Jitter Eliminator®
    * Upgradable Digital, output, and USB boards (designed for future improvements)
    * Automatic 500kHz oversampling for precise output filtering
    * Fully balanced design with balanced and unbalanced outputs
    * Oversized toroidal transformer
    * Robust 35A bridge rectified power-supply with 88,000uF of filtering.
    * LCD display for input and sample rate viewing
    * 2x Coax inputs
    * 2x Toslink inputs
    * 16/48 USB input (future upgrade to 24/96 USB)
    * Retail = $999 (starts shipping 4/09/2010)

DAC-2 product information

The DAC-2 will be offered with the following features:

* ESS 9018 Sabre32 Reference DAC (32-bit dac)
    * W4S proprietary discrete output stages for optimum sonics
    * ESS Time Domain Jitter Eliminator®
    * Upgradable Digital, output, and USB boards (designed for future improvements)
    * Automatic 500kHz oversampling for precise output filtering
    * Fully balanced design with balanced and unbalanced outputs
    * Oversized toroidal transformer
    * Robust 35A Schottky bridge rectifier (also used in the STP-SE)
    * 88,000uf of filtering with W4S low ESR "super-cap" (also used in the STP-SE)
    * VFD display for input, sample rate, and volume control viewing
    * Remote control
    * Defeatable - 32 bit volume control via remote
    * HT Bypass inputs (selectable via DC trigger)
    * 2x Coax inputs
    * 2x Toslink inputs
    * 1x AES/EBU input
    * 1x Balanced I2S input via HDMI cable (not standard HDMI cable format)
    * 24/192 Asynchronous USB input.
    * Retail = $1499 (estimated shipping 4/23/2010)

Oh boy oh boy

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:25:51 AM »
 Looking good. Nice specs. Great no Op amps. An Invert Polarity switch though IMO would be icing on the cake.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 11:28:59 AM »
A tube output would have also been nice.  :o
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »

Just out of curiosity...why?

The only reason I ask is that I recently did some testing with Peachtree's Nova. With 7 people in the room I played around bypassing the tube output and then adding it back into the mix and out of the 7 people in the room (8 if you count me) none of us knew when the tube was in use or not.

I just did the same thing yesterday with 4 people and again not one of them knew when the tube was in use or being bypassed.

I'm still floored as I wasn't expecting it but it really has me questioning a tube output on a DAC now.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 10:03:22 AM »
This DAC chip is so detailed and such low distortion and noise, I prefer not to have a tube following it directly. I can always add tube stage later. But since I've been using this chip I have hardly listened to tubes at all, because they cover up the ultra micro details.  I had the PS Audio DAC with Cullen's stage 4 mod, including his discreet output stage. It was pretty good. This one will be fun to hear.

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 10:16:06 AM »

The only reason I ask is that I recently did some testing with Peachtree's Nova. With 7 people in the room I played around bypassing the tube output and then adding it back into the mix and out of the 7 people in the room (8 if you count me) none of us knew when the tube was in use or not.

I just did the same thing yesterday with 4 people and again not one of them knew when the tube was in use or being bypassed.

I'm still floored as I wasn't expecting it but it really has me questioning a tube output on a DAC now.

Well I probably wouldn't have even had anything to say about it normally John but in the last 2 weeks I've had the honor of demo'ing the new Eastern Electric Dac where I've done comparisons with and without it's tube in 2 different systems along and the addition of the tube with it's added fullness of the notes and the 3D sound stage depth that helps hide loudspeaker localization is an undeniablely desired attraction of this Dac,,, so say we all (that were there :lol:). Granted this is my 1st encounter with a tube Dac with nontube opamp option,,, but it's left me knowing what I want in a Dac and that's a tube buffer output,,, just like the Mhdt Havana w/o opamps which I opted for and which suits my system a little better than the dynamic EE DAC.

But I'd still love the opportunity to demo this Dac, mainly out of curiosity plus the fact that the other system who actually owns the EE DAC has the kickass D-Sonic Magnum 5 channel amp (made by Wyred) that is totally impressive with his Salk HT-3 based surround system. After hearing this system (especially with the EE Dac w/tube output in play), you can't help but wonder how this new Wyred Dac will perform.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline laserman

• Seeking Help
  • Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 08:42:59 AM »
If this ever goes on an audition tour, I would like to give it a trial run also.

Lou
A musically satisfying system is 50% the components and 50% you.  Until you have a handle on your own "inner sensibilities to sound and music," you are only dealing with half of the equation.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »
If this ever goes on an audition tour, I would like to give it a trial run also.

Lou

When these are in full production I will see what I can do about arranging some type of tour.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 10:36:53 AM »
Cool, thanks, John... If the NC gang gets it, I'll be sure to have a DAC comparo at my place.  I'd like to get the EE here too.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Face

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 07:09:55 AM »

Were you using the Nova as a DAC or DAC/PRE? 

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 12:27:26 PM »
I tried it both ways (that sounds so wrong!)  :rofl: