Author Topic: Why does music give us chills?  (Read 2654 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: Why does music give us chills?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 02:47:33 AM »
Most chills I ever had was in my car listening to music. Perhaps its the movement of the car coupled with the music that gets you going, perhaps its the distraction of driving that makes you take off your audiophile shoes and just listen?
Not sure what does it but even in my crappy sounding car system I get goosebumps all the time. I do not think it needs to be related to sound quality, I think our mind fills in the rest that is missing.

I also enjoy listening to music more in my car than sitting in a chair. Recently I set up a system in my garage, and it is fun to work in the garage and listen to music. There really is not much imaging in terms of stereo performance, but coupled with the outside it just becomes enjoyable.

For me sitting in a chair listening to music, and only that, has become a bit strange to me. I feel guilty as there is so much stuff that has to be done, that I enjoy listening while doing stuff. Amazing how I spent so many hours just sitting and listening, and now I can't sit anymore.
Maybe I am getting old!

So bring on the chills

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 05:43:47 AM »
Hey Mike, since you seem to be going more toward the casual music listening side of things, perhaps you just need a set of earbuds and a cheap MP3 player?
 :thumb:

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 07:44:27 AM »
I get chills all the time at live performances, but only occasionally when just listening at home.   I've always attributed it to "group effect".  If I'm with hundreds or thousands of people all responding to the same music, there is definitely a magnification of the emotional impact that results. 

Many people who meditate claim the same type of effect occurs when meditating in a large group versus alone. 

Of course, I think we can be readily duped as well.  The discussion of Susan Boyle's performance is a good example.  Yes, her voice and that music were amazing and created a strong emotional moment.  But then all the trick videography of the audience, judges and MCs were done to strongly heighten the experience.  And it worked.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 12:37:40 PM »
With all the "preferential" talk about natural binaural recordings using 2 crossed mikes, I find that with recorded music I generally get more chills with close miked, intimate vocal style stuff. As long as the song is composed well and performed well and has that something different about it.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 08:10:08 PM »
I think chills come about by an engagement on a emotional level.
If the piece of music affects you in some way, for whatever reason that may be, it may have the ability to raise an emotion in you that is responded by the body by chills. These goosebumps could be raised by other means than just music, a thought, a memory, a vision of something, or something that someone has said to you. It is the emotional connection that causes it and has nothing to do with the gear you use.

Let's be honest with ourselves, our gear is an extension of our phallis, or insecurities. That we get the chills is a reminder that we are human, that we get the chills outside of the realm of gear that was supposed to be designed to arouse chills is a clear indication of this truth. Our gear is an extension of our intellect as well, we buy this fancy gear because it satisfies some intellectual need in us to believe we have what it takes to derive satisfaction. But in truth, the fact that chills can be derived outside that medium proves that to be false.

In the end we like owning gear that pleases us, be it audio gear, cameras, cars, boats, houses, or women(or men).etc

Sorry to drag this topic into philosophical or psychological thoughts, but that is where the topic is best defined and analyzed, and understood. It really has nothing to do with speakers or cables or tubes or capacitors, chills are far beyond those trivial items.

BTW great topic Rich........ :thumb:
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.