Author Topic: 24/192 vc cd  (Read 1884 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
24/192 vc cd
« on: October 02, 2012, 05:40:31 AM »
Wasn't sure what forum to post this. I recently did a quick comparison of a his res download  (24/192) of JATP and the original redbook cd. To my ears the redbook cd sounds better. :duh  Is it just me? Has anyone else done comparisons of cd vs hi res downloads and think the cd sounds better? :wtf:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: 24/192 vc cd
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 07:08:47 AM »
Like anything else, it probably depends on how they mastered it. Remember all those SACD's that were reissued and sounded worse than the CD because they used a 2nd or 3rd gen copy, or re-mastered it from a 16/44 digital copy?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Packfill

• Seeking Help
Re: 24/192 vc cd
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:27:42 PM »
You guys have hit on what I think is the biggest problem in popularizing high res music--who knows what you are getting and if it sounds better--too much of it doesn't.

Hi res is theoretically better but unless the original recording was done well and the subsequent mastering was done well it's effectively putting lipstick on a pig as they say.

This is a very important issue because high res music is so damn expensive.  Unless you know for sure its going to be better, most people are not going to pay up. I haven't so far.