Author Topic: What’s up with the vast difference in used CD prices?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline laserman

• Seeking Help
  • Ambiguous-Optimist
What’s up with the vast difference in used CD prices?
« on: October 15, 2010, 02:29:22 PM »
I have been meaning to post this question for some time.  When I search for used cds, I generally go to Amazon and Half.com.  For the past several months I have noticed that some Sellers post CDs at exorbitant prices even when there are several listed in new or like-new condition for a fraction of their listed price.  These high priced Sellers appear to have excellent ratings and state they are located in the States (FL).   Case in point – On Amazon, Freddie Hubbard – Blue Spirits goes from $5.84 to $27.98 under the new category and $4.61 to $40.45 under the used category.  No, they are not imports or artist signed versions.  Is this some type of money laundering going on?  To an outside observer, this just doesn’t pass the ice cream test or make sense.

Anyone else’s radar pick this up?   :? :wtf:

Lou
A musically satisfying system is 50% the components and 50% you.  Until you have a handle on your own "inner sensibilities to sound and music," you are only dealing with half of the equation.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: What’s up with the vast difference in used CD prices?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 03:06:48 PM »
It is the same seller (any_book) with high prices on new and used copies. They could be going by some outdated price reference, or mistakenly posting the LP price, etc.  It might be a Japanese reissue from before US reissues were available, or might have been listed forever.