Author Topic: where have they gone?  (Read 3674 times)

shep

where have they gone?
« on: June 09, 2009, 01:18:43 AM »
Things are so quiet around here I thought I would start a new topic. Here goes: I notice that I listen mostly to about 30 out of maybe 300 cds. In fact the majority are just plain bad recordings. This is something we have all been thru countless times and the why's and wherefor's are generally understood and it's accepted that it has nothing to do with the digital format but rather with sloppy and careless or just plain bad recording techniques. And yes, a good analoque rig can still beat the pants of digital BUT at what a price? and probablly that's not even true anymore. The subect of this post is however something else. Namely what has happened to all those great (and some very obscure) labels? To name a few that come to mind (I will compile a list later): Grammavison, Gekko, Rhino, Time...gotta go make the list...Senior Moment Intrusion... Some made a brief appearance as cd's, others switched and then disappeared. I really hate spending money and time on this hobby and having to grit my teeth thru 90% of my collection. Your thoughts?

shep

Re: where have they gone?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:50:19 AM »
I also have noticed that some artists either have an affinity for good recording or some understanding of. Just off the top of my rather empty head; Steve Khan, Shirley Horn, Steely Dan (Morph The Cat is probably one of the best studio recordings ever made of it's kind)

Offline chrisa

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 03:28:14 AM »
Thats one reason I like bluegrass and jamgrass so much!  :D

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 04:20:19 AM »
Many 'labels' simply don't exist any more.  It's so easy to put out your own CD's, or even just distribute digital download copies that labels have a hard time making it. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:25:03 AM »
The small labels were run by one man, who got old and sold out or croaked. The large corporations want the catalog, could care less about future content. The need for music as the major external nutrient for the soul is past. Most people use video now, and skip the nutrition. Poptart video like reality shows and video games and feature movies is carrying the entertainment load, not music concerts and CDs. Most souls are starving for spiritual satisfaction. It makes us vulnerable as a society. Hope replaces Faith.

iPod attempts to maintain musical satisfaction in our active lives. Maybe the explosion of portables and popularity of music and dance TV shows is a sign that music is becoming more valuable to people again. I think it is.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 07:44:09 AM »
iPod attempts to maintain musical satisfaction in our active lives. Maybe the explosion of portables and popularity of music and dance TV shows is a sign that music is becoming more valuable to people again. I think it is.

We'll all be ready with our gear when/if the music industry realizes quality is more important than 'loud'... or even cares about what music sounds like.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 08:32:49 AM »
Music Industry would be recording Jimi Hendrix and Coltrane right now if there was a demand for it. Black Eye Peas are way past their prime, but they are #1 right now because their attitude toward life is still hip. Madonna's formula has worked for 26 years! Lionel Richie blew Danny Gokey away on A. Idol duet, but he's not hip anymore. Record companies are interested only in making money, which is the right thing to do. Then they will still be alive to record the next Beethoven/Elvis/Bird when the civilization needs it. We are too spoiled now to care about music. We are weak and flabby, junk food music is enough to support our pathetic lives. Music like the great classics, traditional jazz, even early rock was born out of suffering and hardship. There's no need for intense music now. When there is a need the artists will emerge to feed the sheep. 

shep

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:53:05 PM »
Aiee! now there's a good crop if cynics! just my kind of guys.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:06:39 PM »
haha... That's why we need you here at AN shep to keep us bouyed through the dark days. haha