Author Topic: Vinyl cleaning machines  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Brap

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Vinyl cleaning machines
« on: February 01, 2021, 04:47:22 PM »
Thinking about getting one.  Who has experience and recommendations?  Don't want to break the bank either. Rollo, you sell these by chance?
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Vinyl cleaning machines
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 05:18:48 PM »
I have had a VPI HW-61.5 since 1988 and it does the job and  has never skipped a beat.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 07:22:33 AM »
Yup, the VPI is probably the best and least expensive option. Sometimes you find them used for sale too. I highly recommend getting the disk doctor fluid and brushes to use with it.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 08:18:07 AM »
Thinking about getting one.  Who has experience and recommendations?  Don't want to break the bank either. Rollo, you sell these by chance?

Yes the Kirmus. One of the best. Ultrasonic cleaning. Owned VPI sold after getting Kirmus. Differences heard. For the difference in price the extra for Kirmus is worth it.

charles
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 08:19:40 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 04:14:57 PM »
I heard the results of the Kirmus at CAF and they were indeed impressive.

However, I have two big concerns with it. First the system relies on using the Kirmus proprietary Ionizing Surfactant spray. Perhaps I am a bit pessimistic, but who knows how long Kirmus will be around and according to the Kirmus demonstrations at CAF, that spray is the linchpin of the whole system. If it should become unavailable I'm not sure what kind of job the unit would do. On the other hand, the VPI and other similar machines will work just fine with any number of commercially available or home brew fluids.

Second, and more important to me personally, cleaning a record on the VPI is a 1 maybe 2 minute operation. Cleaning with the Kirmus involves 3 or 4  (or even more) cycles of a 5 minute ultrasonic cleaning and a two minute rub and scrub with the spray, and after all of this is over you still need to dry the record. Yes you can put multiple records in the bath at the same time, but they still each require their own 2 minute rub and scrub. Either way cleaning with the Krimus, even under the best of circumstances requires many multiples of the time it takes to clean on the VPI. I know myself and  while I do not mind spending a minute or two to clean a record before playing, if that time stretches to 15 or 20 minutes I will most often tend to just skip it. No matter how good a job a record cleaner does , it doesn't do any good if you don't use it.

All that said, the Kirmus system does a great job and if the points that I raised above don't cause you any concern then it would be an excellent choice for you.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Brap

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 05:21:03 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback thus far. Appreciate any more!.  Saw a VPI 16.5 used on the bay starting at $343. Sent questions, await answers.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 06:02:42 PM »
I clean no more than 2-3 minutes in an ultrasonic bath of 95% water and 5% isopropyl alcohol, and drops of surfectant.  I dry on an inexpensive Nitty Gritty to remove all solution.  It doesn't take any longer than just cleaning with the Nitty Gritty and it works vastly better. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 09:04:30 AM »
I clean no more than 2-3 minutes in an ultrasonic bath of 95% water and 5% isopropyl alcohol, and drops of surfectant.  I dry on an inexpensive Nitty Gritty to remove all solution.  It doesn't take any longer than just cleaning with the Nitty Gritty and it works vastly better.

Good call no ritual needed.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 09:31:50 AM »
This is just like everything else in this hobby.

You can pretty much always get some kind of improvement on anything with a application of additional time and/or money. And it is up to each of us to decide how good is good enough and when the additional effort and expense is just not worth it anymore.

There is no right or wrong answer to that question, just what works for you personally.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Brap

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 09:36:19 AM »
Yup - learning that lesson again. IT's a tough nut though based on my vinyl collection however, unfortunately lost a brother-in-law and he has quite the collection, many are master disc's which I may start to inherit. Golf season is approaching and for the VPI price, that's 13 weeks of tee times...……..
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1