Author Topic: Shelby Lynn  (Read 3190 times)

shep

Shelby Lynn
« on: July 16, 2010, 06:13:51 AM »
" Just a little lovin' " Maybe this was already mentioned? I just got this on a recommendation. Really great album: the performance, the material and the recording, which would be referance quality except they were a bit heavy handed with the reverb. I got another of hers, "tears Lies and Alibis" which sucks. Go figure!

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Shelby Lynn
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:27:13 AM »
I agree "Just a Little Lovin" is a top of the pile recording (Stereophile March 2008 Recording of the Month and 'Best Audiophile Label Recording' in the November 2009 issue of The Absolute Sound.) Her other work leaves me flat. Had high hopes Shelby had turned a musical corner with Just a Little Lovin, but her new release  (Tears Lies & Alibis ) just sound like the older stuff that I didn't really care for. (I am sure glad I previewed the library's copy before I put down any hard cash for my own copy.  8) )

On a happier note, Just a little Lovin is one of the best buys out there today in audiophile vinyl. The 180G LP pressing has a MSRP of only $12.98! :drool:

The LP can still be ordered through all of the major online audiophile software dealers (Acoustic Sounds, MusicDirect Elusive Disc etc.) Get 'um before their all gone!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:28:58 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

shep

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 08:58:39 AM »
just goes to show how out of touch I am! I'd never even heard of her. I do wish "they" would keep their hands off the effects buttons though.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:47:20 AM »
It's interesting that people polarize around her music.. it's kind of generic, easy listening, folksy country... so I find it strange that some people really enjoy it and some really don't... To me it's just more of that kind of sound..

I haven't heard her latest... but I own at least 1 of her cd's.. and it's ok... not offensive but doesn't draw me in... Kind of like Jack Johnson to me, easy to switch off while you're listening... but I find JJ more relaxing.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »
I liked her way back when she released her first album, Sunrise, in the late 80's.  It was kind of a raw alt-country sound that held much promise.  A few years later, she performed on a major award show, (the Grammy's, maybe?) and I specifically watched to see her perform.  She sucked...looked like she was drunk or blotto on any combination of hallucinogens.  I haven't paid her much mind since.

I did hear that "Just a Little Lovin'" was very good.  Perhaps she's outgrown the party lifestyle.