Author Topic: G2G at Rich's 8/25  (Read 28090 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: G2G at Rich's 8/25
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2007, 12:06:58 PM »
What you're describing is exactly why I stick with a BIG solid state amp and a tube preamp.  Dynamics, guts, solidity, etc. from the amp - tone, a hint of sweetness, and a slightly more rounded edge of sound to space between sounds.

I've been all both ways a few times and only been happy once - and that wasn't mine.  Berning pre, Futterman OTL's, driving Quads.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Hantra

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2007, 05:11:21 PM »
Monads might wanna get in on this monoblock rumble too? haha
Guess I better run some more dedicated lines.

The Monads are one of the best amplifiers I have ever heard.  I wish they were 500 watts, but they are really, really good.  I think the Monads will make any speaker sound really good.

Likewise, I wish the Halcros were 500+.  They're not.  So I get my 500 watts from the McIntosh which is as close to those as I've heard.

Tonight I heard the MC1201's on some old school Carver AL-III speakers, just for fun.  I was floored at how good these speakers were from top to midbass.  I seriously have not heard a better ribbon besides the one I own.  This doesn't really have a point, nor is it on topic.  But it was the most audio fun I have had in months.  I could easily be happy with those speakers, and a couple subs.  Of course we were using $55,000 worth of gear to drive them too.   :rofl:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2007, 08:33:43 PM »
Sounds awesome Brandon. Where did you hear those Big Macs? Your bedroom system?   :rofl: Please don't bring those to the amp rumble...   :shock:  hehe 

Here's another twist on the system synergy theme that is quickly growing in this thread. Our first G2G with this group long time ago was an amp comparo, and Monads came over. I thought the 402 and Snappers were better on my speakers. I really wanted to love the Monads after having just met BK and corresponding with him about our trumpet playing schooldays, I really dig him and what he's doing. But they just didn't go well with my speakers, at least on that day. It would be nice to hear them setup with a knowing eye, maybe I overlooked something, I know I had lesser SCs then and I forgot to take the spikes so I had them resting on wooden blocks for cooling. Not optimal by any means. On Shanes Usher BE20s they sound great, totally different. It is such a weird thing. You want an engine to be an engine, to perform the same no matter where you put it. But the mysteries of electromechanical subtleties prevent that from being true no matter how much we want it to be.
Rich

Hantra

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2007, 08:39:31 PM »
Sounds awesome Brandon. Where did you hear those Big Macs? Your bedroom system?   :rofl: Please don't bring those to the amp rumble...

I heard them over at my McIntosh guy's place.  And don't worry.  Even if he would let those out of his sight, I don't have the towing package on the BMW.  Those bastards are close to 200 pounds each.  [-(

Offline richidoo

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2007, 06:33:27 AM »
 :lol:  Ive seen the pics. Glad to know they're not just mock ups. haha

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2007, 10:15:53 AM »
Hey...I saw those monsters in-person...they make the 501's look like small digital amps  :shock:!!!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Hantra

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »
Hey...I saw those monsters in-person...they make the 501's look like small digital amps  :shock:!!!

That was my exact thought when we hooked them up beside the 501's.  Suddenly I feel. . . inadequate. . .  8-[

Offline richidoo

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2007, 01:10:58 PM »
I heard Snappers on Carl's Piega C8s today, which are similar sensitivity as Timepieces. Switching to Carl's MC402 showed a very big improvement in tone, clarity, control, with expected loss of air. We discussed what air really is, and had some interesting ideas, but nothing conclusive. hahahaa   So now I can understand how hundreds of watts of power are reasonable requirement with Timepieces and other speakers of lower sensitivity. My speakers are more efficient, so maybe "getting by" with the Snappers, but some of the constriction I heard on Carls C8s with Snappers (which vanished with the 402) is also evident on the Legacys on louder moments, so likely the Legacys need every bit of their 300WPC@4ohms rating to be fully satiated. The new BIS label Beethoven 9th was routinely drawing 200+ watts on the Mac power meters, and never went below 40watts on the loud sections. It was a great  :shock: learning experience. Once again, thanks Carl!

Hantra

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2007, 01:46:58 PM »
Be careful!  Power corrupts.   :-#

Bigfish8

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2007, 02:05:13 PM »
Hey Guys:

I going to post a portion of a reply from Bob Smith on AC today:  Regarding amps, regardless what my wife says...BIGGER is better.  Give me big-big...all the way BIG!  As big as you can afford - and FAST (transient capability) - and with a high Damping Factor.  But only if you want...smooth, relaxed highs, effortless midrange, powerful and tight bass, unlimited resolution and detail as well as a totally natural and organic sound overall.

Heck, I am just get started and you guys are making my Odyssey Mono SEs at 200 watts per channel seem awfully small. 

Hey, Honey, I want a bigger one!

Have a great Holiday Weekend fellas! 

Ken
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 02:11:08 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2007, 05:16:21 PM »
Thanks, Ken... we're all learning as we go... and of course, feeding our Nervosa... ;)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.