Author Topic: i broke down-and bought some new speakers  (Read 21755 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: i broke down-and bought some new speakers
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 02:31:14 PM »
but dammit i  finally have them in hand--

Nice job! I'm glad you got them out of the fedex system before they busted them.  Now you can relax and make some music! Finally!

Rich

rosconey

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 07:41:23 AM »
well ive got some hours on them- i must say im very underwhelmed -vocals are in your face and at speaker height,bass is a little over bearing and the mids must not have shipped with the speakers ,along with the depth and sound stage-

tried reversing phase -plugging ports-placement-

when i used to play jack johnson -on and on-i would get into it-air guitar and all-no more

i could place the instruments  around the stage-everyone had a place-now its like they are all in line-nothing outside the speakers -

maybe im just so used to my old speakers and after all these years its ingrained or something -they always showed changes when i added or subtracted system parts-they are comfy

right now i would have to say :duh :duh :duh sorry klaus

Mike L

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 07:58:13 AM »
Still a little early....no?

miklorsmith

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 09:22:54 AM »
Yeah, give 'em some time.  My new speakers are 8 weeks in and still settling down.  The user notes provided by the manufacturer say initial sound is much worse if shipped in winter months.

You have suspensions, wiring, connections, and XO components that just met.  Let them get to know each other a bit over some Tool, Metallica, or same.  Go face-to-face out of phase with a blanket over for accelerated process.

I have the Isotek CD which a lot of folks say expedites the breakin process.  I don't know if it works but I use it.

Good luck!

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 10:00:19 AM »
Also, I just reread all this and noticed you bought Sirens - not Loreleis.  Klaus tried the Sirens set up wide like the Lori's and had lots of trouble with them.  He ended up changing to a more standard arrangement and they sounded much better that way. 

I'm sure some of it is still break-in but that might help also.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

rosconey

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 11:39:42 AM »
they are siren cabinets with loreli guts and drivers-

i guess i expected them to at least equil what i had and get better -
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:47:01 AM by rosconey »

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 03:11:31 PM »
Not sure what you had before.  I have no idea how the Lori guts would work in that cabinet though Klaus must think it's good. 

My personal opinion having heard both the siren and the Loreli is that the Loreli is a much better speaker - but also a lot more money.  I'd still give them some more breakin time and try a more conventional setup instead of the real wide Loreli setup.  The Siren's just didn't work that way at RMAF but were much better later.

Bryan

rosconey

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 03:16:10 PM »
my old speakers are 3.5 way stand mounts by rick craig-they dont play lowso a sub fills in the rest-

they have super soundstage seperation width-everything these dont-lol

i honestly cant listen to these things right now-they are so one dimensional and the forward vocals give me a headache real fast--

edit-just got off the phone with klaus-tomorrow i will dissect them-lol

will remove tweeters to check polarity and a battery test  on the woofers polarity
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:59:34 PM by rosconey »

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 04:16:28 AM »
Yeah - that doesn't sound riight at all.  They were a LITTLE more forward than the Lori's but nothing obnoxious.  Again, though, these are a hybrid that you're probably one of the few to hear.

If anything, from what I've heard personally, I'd think most of Rick's designs would be a bit more forward in the upper mids/lower treble.  I've heard several of his designs and most of them struck me that way.

Let use know when the patient gets out of surgery what the prognosis is   :rofl:

Bryan

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 03:52:39 PM »
I know from personal experience that the massive crossovers in the Loreleis take a good 400+ hours to burn in. The midrange is outstanding with these speakers. If the cabinet volume of the Syren is similar to that of the Lorelei's and yours utilize the same drivers and crossovers i do not see why they should not sound very similar after break in.I wont part with my Lorelei's  :drool: good luck rosconey....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

rosconey

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 03:02:20 PM »
well they were wired right-still sounded like crap after 4 days-
 originaly i noticed i was having to turn the volume knob a bit more to get the same  volume level as before,figured it was because of the different speakers-since nothing else seemed to work i switched from the secondary outputs on the candela to the stock ones for shits and giggles-
looks like the secondary outputs dont have the same level output as the originals- and its not a subtle difference ,its quite a few db's-

speakers have a much improved sound now-dont know what the issue with the secondary outs could be-when i get a chance ill talk to klaus-at least now im a happier camper than i was a few minutes ago :rofl:

edit-talked to klaus-the secondary jacks are jumped off the primary or something -you have to be plugged into the primary for the secondary to fully work-

when i hooked up the new speakers i unplugged the cables to the sub amps that were hooked up to the primary outs,so i wouldnt be tempted to use the subs :duh :duh :duh :duh :duh :duh

its nice when you beat your brains in for 5 days to find out the problem was in fact you :rofl:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 03:49:38 PM by rosconey »

Mike L

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 06:03:20 PM »
Glad your speakers are sounding better now.

Mike

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 04:21:29 AM »
Yeah, well, things like that happen.  I'm just glad it turned out OK for you.

Bryan

rosconey

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 01:51:13 PM »
swapped in my windmill getter raytheons and out with the mullards-

now were getting some where :lol:

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 03:21:42 PM »
well they were wired right-still sounded like crap after 4 days-
 originaly i noticed i was having to turn the volume knob a bit more to get the same  volume level as before,figured it was because of the different speakers-since nothing else seemed to work i switched from the secondary outputs on the candela to the stock ones for shits and giggles-
looks like the secondary outputs dont have the same level output as the originals- and its not a subtle difference ,its quite a few db's-

speakers have a much improved sound now-dont know what the issue with the secondary outs could be-when i get a chance ill talk to klaus-at least now im a happier camper than i was a few minutes ago :rofl:

edit-talked to klaus-the secondary jacks are jumped off the primary or something -you have to be plugged into the primary for the secondary to fully work-

when i hooked up the new speakers i unplugged the cables to the sub amps that were hooked up to the primary outs,so i wouldnt be tempted to use the subs :duh :duh :duh :duh :duh :duh

its nice when you beat your brains in for 5 days to find out the problem was in fact you :rofl:
Does the Candela manual inform regarding the above? If not, it's possible Klaus may want to provide the above information in the manual's next iteration.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis