Author Topic: Embarking on a Semi-DIY New Speaker Project  (Read 15301 times)

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Embarking on a Semi-DIY New Speaker Project
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 04:34:43 PM »
This is a long-winded tale related to my questions about XO design for my new speakers adventure, so bear with me.

Yesterday, I spent a couple hours in a factory not far from my home here. This factory makes a number of different things including machines and parts for machines with CNC machines. One of this company's specialties is power supplies for audio, MRI machines, radio, computers, etc. Toroidal power supplies and transformers are made there. The owner is an audiophile who loves vacuum tube amps and preamps - and tubed CD players, so he decided to start his own line not long ago.

I went there specifically to listen to their amps/pres on my Fritz LS/5-R speakers (83.5dB). You guys know this is not very sensitive, but Fritz suggests they are easier to drive because of the series XO. Anyway, I got to hear them driven by the top of the line 38w mono amps, their best preamp, and their CD player. The bass was noticeably shy compared to my Nuprime IDA-8. The midrange and above was crystal clear with just a hint of brightness is some instances. The volume dial was at no more than 10 o'clock and it was nicely loud. I have no idea if the brightness was from the recording, cabling, amps, preamps, or room (are all). [My father-in-law was kind enough to drive the wrong car with my sample CDs inside yesterday leaving me with no sound of my own.] :duh

On my IDA-8 there is almost too much bass in my untreated living room (cement walls, cement ceiling, picture window). I emailed both Jason (Nuprime owner) and John Casler asking if the IDA-8 was artificially enhanced and both replied that the bass is natural and a result of a higher damping ratio.

Back to the story:

I suspect that if I owned these amps/peamp, I would need to add a subwoofer to be happy.

This company manufactures its own PS, transformers, and cases. Wire and cabling is purchased from another Taiwanese company, but all winding and QC is in-house. It occurred to me that I could potentially special order a couple of inductors for my speaker project from this company.

Lastly, after the factory tour and the listening session, we ended up back in the company's conference room to discuss their future and what the N. American market is like. I talked about the value of online forums to get the message out, attending audio shows, and auditioning products. They were shocked to hear about product tours. Taiwanese audiophiles (apparently) are less trusting of each other than their N. American counterparts. Chalk it up to different cultures, I guess.

Just before we said our good byes, the business manager asked me what was in it for me/why was I interested in helping them market their products and offering ideas on how to reach the US market. My answer surprised them. This whole audiophile hobby is fun and that was my motivation for visiting their factory/offering ideas and insight into the N. American market and not for personal profit. [It was right then that I understood why my wife thinks I'm a little loony sometimes.]  They either thought I was a nut case or that I was some sort of angel - I'm unsure which.

Lest you think I'm helping non-US companies gain a foothold in the US, I'd like to point out that my entire system in Taiwan is US made or US registered (TWL loom, PI Audio DigiBUSS, Fritz speakers, and Nuprime integrated amp, Mac Mini, SB Touch) and I show them/demo them to anyone who shows an interest. 8)

Damn, this is getting long....

I'm a newb when it comes to tube amps and preamps, so I honestly cannot sit here and declare this company's wares to be awesome and amazing value, but I was impressed. I'll receive an email with prices for all their audio gear today or tomorrow. For whatever reason, they would not tell me yesterday. Different business practices? Get the loony guy out of the building?  8-[

I'll re-post this over on AC in the thread I began a week ago.

The company's website link is at the bottom of this report. There is precious little useful information about their audio gear online, but I've got some flyers with more info. I completely forgot to take pictures, but I will request some.

Stay tuned.

Edit:

Oops. I nearly forgot to post the link.

http://www.kcr.com.tw/eng/front/bin/cglist.phtml?Category=13
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 04:42:13 PM by mresseguie »
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 08:53:08 AM »
I listened to a pair of Arum Cantus two-way monitors this evening powered by a Nuforce amp (similar to my IDA-8). The speakers have ribbon tweeters and what I took to be 5.25" midwoofers, and are rated down to 50Hz yet there was quite a bit of bass presence in the listening room. I suspect some of that oomph is from the Nuforce amp, but I can't be sure.

Once again, I did not come away from this experience with any new revelations concerning ribbon tweeters. I clearly prefer domes over ribbons. Sure, there have been a couple exceptions, but those exceptions were on very expensive speakers that I'm not going to buy.

Anyway, my listening to this pair added force to my thinking that my new speakers will likely have an F3 of 50Hz. I want to make 'life' easier for the 7.5" Satori woofer in order for it to sweeten my midrange enjoyment. :D I'm pretty confident I'll get enough bass in my concrete bunker living room.

No word yet on pricing of gear from the Arriba amplifier folks. Perhaps, they're still debating how to best handle me. Perhaps, they're deciding at which level they wish to compete in overseas markets.
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2015, 10:20:07 AM »
  Whats up anything new to report ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2015, 06:19:56 PM »
Don't remember if you said you already saw this, or if it was mentioned already in this thread, but in case you weren't aware, this is a recipe for MTM version of Satori 6.5 speaker.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project11/Satori_MTM_Bass_Reflex_Speaker_System.pdf