Author Topic: REALLY ??!!  (Read 17231 times)

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Re: REALLY ??!!
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2015, 05:17:20 AM »
oh boy :duh

While I do agree that there is no place for religion or politics here but I do agree with Richidoo that some comments are borderline. No biggie.

I see this thread as nothing but a bunch of audiophiles getting together to BS about something. I doint see anyone being insulted or anyone getting their feelings hurt. Just some friendly bantering. No different than a bunch of Met fans getting together talking about why they lost.

I hope both Richidoo and Greg rethink their decisions.

Back to the Sogons

I found this bit of info
And finally, the pièce de résistance—the AN-E/Sogon, which uses silver-foil capacitors and silver-wire inductors in the external crossover. In fact, there's a total of about 40 pounds of silver in each of those external boxes.
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/content/audio-note-esogon-speaker#AVFTBjczviAZgqoh.99

40 pounds per xover so thats 80 pounds and at todays price of $15.12 per ounce that comes to about 20k in silver alone for the pair!
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2015, 05:28:18 AM »
Now will the many owners of $165K Audio Note Sogon speakers feel free and not bullied and come to the forum and post about their experiences listening to music on inexplicably expensive speakers? Not! Rich, where are the "rich people" you want to feel comfortable on your site? The Sogon owner did buy a status toy and really doesn't want to blog about it, or read critical posts.  So you protected the site, and turned away a supporter who just made it clear that the cost isn't justified by R & D plus the cost of materials even with a 25 times cost retail. My takeaway was the unsupported pricing, like $50K speaker cables, can lead to a derogatory view of audiophiles and the audio industry as a whole. Do you wonder why you have such a small readership, maybe it's stuff like this?

Agreed

Even the guys at the "Whats best Forum" have having trouble swallowing this

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?13124-Audio-Note-AN-E-SOGON-165K
    --Ice Cube

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 05:35:51 AM »
Well if your going to ban Greg you might as well ban me. Rich, just because your a mod, don't be a bully.  The problem with getting old is being unable to hear new ideas or be as resilient to differing opinions than when having youth. Its not really the body that goes first, its becoming myopic.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:51:42 AM by machinehead »
Its cool ndude.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 06:56:04 AM »
 :shock: C'mon man give Greg a second chance.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Maxima95

• Seeking Help
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 07:39:15 AM »
"Do not engage in class warfare on AudioNervosa.

High end audio has no limit, in performance or price. On AudioNervosa we accept, allow and celebrate the unlimited creativity of audio designers, the investment risks taken by companies, and the financial resourcefulness of audiophiles that is required to enjoy this hobby at the extreme cutting edge.

You may discuss prices as they affect you personally. Effectively judging products based on their price is an important survival skill in this world. Discussing price on AudioNervosa is OK.

However,
You may not judge other people negatively by how much they spend.
You may not judge companies negatively by the price of their products."

Why have rules and not enforce them? (Obviously a rhetorical question).

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 07:46:07 AM »

While I do agree that there is no place for religion or politics here but I do agree with Richidoo that some comments are borderline. No biggie.

I see this thread as nothing but a bunch of audiophiles getting together to BS about something. I doint see anyone being insulted or anyone getting their feelings hurt. Just some friendly bantering. No different than a bunch of Met fans getting together talking about why they lost.

Back to the Sogons

I found this bit of info
And finally, the pièce de résistance—the AN-E/Sogon, which uses silver-foil capacitors and silver-wire inductors in the external crossover. In fact, there's a total of about 40 pounds of silver in each of those external boxes.
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/content/audio-note-esogon-speaker#AVFTBjczviAZgqoh.99

40 pounds per xover so thats 80 pounds and at todays price of $15.12 per ounce that comes to about 20k in silver alone for the pair!

Thanks, Emil for pointing out some of the reasoning behind the cost... and it's not raw silver ingots ($15.12 per oz.) being used, it's silver-made specialty components... that's a lot of $$JACK$$, man!!!

Many view Silver as the holy grail of audio... it's not cheap... geez, how much are Silver Duelund capacitors??? $$$

On the cost of the speakers... assuming that's the retail price, do you realize that 10-20% goes to the distributor and 40-50% goes to the brick & mortar store? That's a big cut...

Finally, what if you were the designer & builder of the Audio Note speakers and you read the "REALLY??!!" comments... pretty offensive to the designer & builder and even more offensive to the buyer or potential buyer...

I am not endorsing the Audio Note speakers, just saying...

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 07:46:46 AM »

High end audio has no limit, in performance or price. On AudioNervosa we accept, allow and celebrate the unlimited creativity of audio designers, the investment risks taken by companies, and the financial resourcefulness of audiophiles that is required to enjoy this hobby at the extreme cutting edge.

You may discuss prices as they affect you personally. Effectively judging products based on their price is an important survival skill in this world. Discussing price on AudioNervosa is OK.

However,

+1

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 07:47:48 AM »

However,

+1

charles

+2
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 07:53:16 AM »

However,

+1

charles

+2

+ Infinity
    --Ice Cube

Offline rpf

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 08:06:41 AM »

Back to the Sogons

I found this bit of info

Thanks, Emil for pointing out some of the reasoning behind the cost... and it's not raw silver ingots ($15.12 per oz.) being used, it's silver-made specialty components... that's a lot of $$JACK$$, man!!!

Many view Silver as the holy grail of audio... it's not cheap... geez, how much are Silver Duelund capacitors??? $$$

On the cost of the speakers... assuming that's the retail price, do you realize that 10-20% goes to the distributor and 40-50% goes to the brick & mortar store? That's a big cut...

Finally, what if you were the designer & builder of the Audio Note speakers and you read the "REALLY??!!" comments... pretty offensive to the designer & builder and even more offensive to the buyer or potential buyer...

I am not endorsing the Audio Note speakers, just saying...

My $0.02,
Pete

Yes, perhaps, but I'm skeptical of the "40 lbs. per speaker".
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline machinehead

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2015, 08:27:15 AM »
And lastly we follow the rule: "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors power cords"
Its cool ndude.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2015, 08:34:36 AM »

I don't know Pete, If I were selling those speakers I think I would welcome a comment like that because it would give me the opportunity to get my side of the story out there. You have to admit, on the face of things it does look pretty ridiculous to charge that much for such a simple design, so I am sure he gets that kind of comment all the time. But given the chance  the designer could say "I understand why you might think that, but let me explain just what is in here and then list all of the not outwardly obvious things that  make this speaker cost so much.

As for the purchaser, we get that kind of comments all the time about the amount of money we spend on even modest high end audio systems and the components within. 90% of the people I know think I should be put in a straight jacket for buying one of your power cords to replace the one that came for free with the original component. All I ever say is feel free to come over at any time and sit in my listening chair any time and I will show you why I bought it. And just for the record I have yet to have a single person who took me up on the offer not be able to hear the difference. They still may not think it is worth the money (and that's OK), but at least they can understand why I did it.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2015, 08:38:09 AM »

Nah, coveting is a good thing. It means you appreciate the value that the cord brings to your system.

It also means that you will soon be selling your current power cords and some of the rest of us can get a good deal.   8)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline machinehead

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2015, 08:39:04 AM »

Nah, coveting is a good thing. It means you appreciate the value that the cord brings to your system.

It also means that you will soon be selling your current power cords and some of the rest of us can get a good deal.   8)
lol
Its cool ndude.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2015, 08:50:43 AM »
Greg is in the penalty box
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata