Author Topic: PLANARS SPEAKERS - All Types  (Read 16033 times)

Offline KLH007

• Seeking Help
Re: PLANARS SPEAKERS - All Types
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 12:06:39 PM »
  Planars if properly set up meaning with an amp with oddles of current they move quite a bit of air.
   I'll second the GTA-2 against all comers. Planars that is.

charles

I just drove up to NJ to hear Greg's latest GTA2.5s. He has changed plate amps to Hypex from Dayton, night and day improvement. Less grunge getting into the lower mids, strong punchy DEEP bass from the twin 10" woofers. Because it is a hybrid, with the mid planar reaching down to 100hz, the bass is nicely integrated and as always his speakers play at dangerously loud levels without glare or edge. I wish more music lovers could get a chance to hear this current GTA speaker, it is a winner.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 07:15:15 AM »
I heard Danny Richie's latest prototype as he was voicing the crossover yesterday.  I don't know what it's going to sell for, but it's not cheap to build and it certainly won't be cheap to own.  But it was simply stunning.  So fast... all planar down to about 170 hz w/lots of servo bass below that.  And I know they have more wrinkles to try out to try improve it.  I don't know how he wants to introduce it, so I'll simply say to watch for it. 
Scott
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 07:31:19 PM »
I heard Danny Richie's latest prototype as he was voicing the crossover yesterday.  I don't know what it's going to sell for, but it's not cheap to build and it certainly won't be cheap to own.  But it was simply stunning.  So fast... all planar down to about 170 hz w/lots of servo bass below that.  And I know they have more wrinkles to try out to try improve it.  I don't know how he wants to introduce it, so I'll simply say to watch for it. 
Scott
I forgot, the 6' frame is aviation grade aluminum with no resonance.  I don't know how you make something that big out of metal and it doesn't ring- but it doesn't.  Holy crap that was an amazing sound- driven on less than 20 watts on the planar arrays.
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 07:58:53 PM »
That sounds very interesting! Looking fwd to learning more about that. Thanks

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 08:17:16 PM »
I've got a pair of LS9's that I would have matched against just about anything.  Not saying they're better, just I've not heard anything completely outclass them... 'til yesterday.  These are fast speakers... and they sound sluggish in comparison. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline KLH007

• Seeking Help
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 04:25:31 PM »
Will Danny be releasing any info on these soon?

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »
I really don't know- I honestly doubt it.  He had just put the crossover together, so further tweeks may be in the works (not sure why, they were flat to within 1.5 db!).  But mostly, I'm not sure if he has decided how he wants to market it, so I wouldn't expect much buzz or PR for a while.  But man what speed and power.  If this ends up at any of the audio shows, you've got to make an effort to hear it.  
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:17:53 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 07:51:57 AM »
Hey S Clark good to see you posting here. Agreed GR has it going on. The line arrays are wonderful as well as the servo controlled OB subs.
    Actually perfer them to the GTA-2 overall. Danny has put together visceral impact with finesse. Tonality is spot on as well as harmonic structure.
     DIY or built a VG way to go.

charles

Besides his main arras t
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 08:17:57 AM »
Hey S Clark good to see you posting here. Agreed GR has it going on. The line arrays are wonderful as well as the servo controlled OB subs.
    Actually perfer them to the GTA-2 overall. Danny has put together visceral impact with finesse. Tonality is spot on as well as harmonic structure.
     DIY or built a VG way to go.

charles
Thanks Charles.  You know that I hang out more on that other Audio site, but I check in here pretty regularly. I'll try to post more often whenever I have something to add. 

You can appreciate what it means when I say that this speaker is another step up for Danny.  His stuff has always been well regarded... usually considered either best value or simply the best at the RMAF for several years.  His last open baffle line array was a top of the line, best in show, type speaker.  This latest is even cleaner... just not likely to be in my financial range  :(
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Lissnr

• Seeking Help
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 02:58:07 PM »
Hey guys, lots of good conversation here...especially this planar speaker section. I've heard nothing but great things about Danny R and his brilliant designs, I'd love to hear some of his speakers in person.
As for the GT Audio I like what I'm hearing about the relatively low crossover point [of the panels to the dynamic drivers]. When you can get that point well below 200hz (100 is probably close to ideal) and manage to keep their speed up and their inherent "boxiness" to indiscernible levels.... you've reached a holy grail.
Martin Logan has been chasing it for decades and they say their newest design finally gets it too...
In an ideal world that would be a very effective answer to having your cake and eating it...AND at a relatively reasonable price point both in the speaker itself and the electronics capable of properly driving it.
On the other hand don't let anyone say properly designed and properly powered planars can't deliver impressively pounding, deep, fast, extended bass to truly lifelike levels.   ...it's just going to take a more robust speaker both in terms of sheer size and overkill design aspects, as well as uber performance amps to wring out all the gusto the speakers are capable of.
Now, if you can do it with TUBE amps...even better (and much more difficult but sooooo worth it).
Just my 2 cents. Happy Lissn'n

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 07:33:06 PM »
Do the GT Audio speakers use 10"servo subs?  I looked at their website and can't tell. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

GT Audio Works

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 05:54:27 AM »
Do the GT Audio speakers use 10"servo subs?  I looked at their website and can't tell.  
I have to update my site...No servo... Hypex 400 watt sub amp, x over 100hz,  driving two 10" drivers/ch  in a sealed cab.

My intention was not to make a statement product, but a speaker with excellent bass capability, an imperceptible handoff to my full range planar driver with dynamics and resolution unheard of for its size and price.
They will not dominate a room or ones wallet.
Gotta keep the significant other happy !!

Greg
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:03:45 AM by GT Audio Works »

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 07:10:31 AM »
It sounds like an excellent product that I'd love to hear.  One of the things that I mentioned about the GR speaker is that it is unaffordable for the bulk of audiophile customers. 
Are there any GT owners in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area?  I get to the metroplex several times a year and would love to hear them.
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

GT Audio Works

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 08:08:53 AM »
It sounds like an excellent product that I'd love to hear.  One of the things that I mentioned about the GR speaker is that it is unaffordable for the bulk of audiophile customers. 
Are there any GT owners in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area?  I get to the metroplex several times a year and would love to hear them.
Unfortunately not.

My latest effort the GTA 2.5 is not in anyone's home yet.
I have been wanting have it ready for its debut for the better part of 6 months. Its should not be too much longer.
Greg

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 11:09:12 AM »

[/quote]...

My latest effort the GTA 2.5 is not in anyone's home yet.
I have been wanting have it ready for its debut for the better part of 6 months. Its should not be too much longer.
Greg
[/quote]
Perhaps RMAF??
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub