Author Topic: PLANARS SPEAKERS - All Types  (Read 16032 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
PLANARS SPEAKERS - All Types
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:37:48 AM »
  Like it says Planar talk, so talk away. Include Electrostatic speakers as well

charles
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:26:29 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: PLANARS - All Types
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 05:35:37 AM »
in plain language ?
 :duh
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
Re: PLANARS SPEAKERS - All Types
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:38:09 AM »
I included Electrostatic speakers as well.  I'm leaning back to Electrostatic designs.
    Recently brought my amps for a demo and the speakers were Martin Logan Requests. Very impressive combo. So much so I got the bug.
   IMO no planar design comes close to the live sound as Electrostatic designs. Close are the GTA Audio Works GTA-2. The bass integration is better on the GTA. The Analysis Omega another contender is just to expensive for me.
    One of our club members had a pair of Apogee speakers modified and the reports so far have been very positive.
   My only concern with electrostatics is arching. If one has a dry home stay away.
    Then there is room size. If ya do not have enough space to properly set them again look elsewhere.
    Hey bob have you considered having your Apogees modified like grants ?

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 08:43:26 AM »
Not likely to happen at this stage. When we move to our new home I will have to reassess depending on the room I get for myself. Then we will see if I keep them, replace them, update them, etc.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:29:34 AM »
I had Quads, I got rid of them because:
79dB sensitivity.
Very limited dynamic range, can't play symphonies.
Limited LF extension
Arcing.
Severe capacitive loading needs a very well designed amp.
Plasticky tonal coloration in treble.
Sounded best 8 feet out from the wall, net WAF negative
Made in China.
Too many $$ speakers in the house at that time.
Some asshole journalist once wrote that Quads are for grown ups. Maybe that's because all they can play is Lawrence Welk.

I liked them because:
Decent tone overall, especially low mids that would otherwise make a box resonate.
Gentle, natural presentation of music as whole - low phase error.
Excellent wide, 3D imaging
Nearfield listening immersive
Excellent acoustic interaction with my room, due to dipole radiation and limited LF extension.
Bought them used very cheap, sold them fast and easy.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:52:27 AM »
They are limited as you describe. The midrange is a reference in the biz. Did you find that so ?
   Which model did you have ?

charles

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 05:51:27 PM »
I had 2905s.  Yeah, the midrange was very good. No real sonic character, it's just there, as it should be. On compressed music of relative tonality they really shone. But that's not normally what I listen to.

I'd like to hear Maggie 20.7, but my wife says no billboards. I've heard Analysis a half dozen times with all different amps but they never did it for me.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 06:28:47 AM »

If I see a nice pair of Martin Logan CLSs sold locally, thats one speaker I would like to own someday. I hear they are a real bitch to drive
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 06:55:37 AM »
Oh No Emil - another set of amps (again)!

Offline KLH007

• Seeking Help
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 08:10:56 AM »
I had 2905s.  Yeah, the midrange was very good. No real sonic character, it's just there, as it should be. On compressed music of relative tonality they really shone. But that's not normally what I listen to.

I'd like to hear Maggie 20.7, but my wife says no billboards. I've heard Analysis a half dozen times with all different amps but they never did it for me.

It's the Quad 57s that still are a midrange/vocal reference today, I heard 2 pairs at 2014 CAF and given their limitations, were spectacular. I've got a friend who just had a pair of ML Monoliths re-done at the factory, got to hear those. I still don't think stats can achieve the dynamic excitement and room pressurizing bass power that the GT Audio Works GTA 2s do, especially Greg's latest version. I agree with Charles that the GTA 2s give up a smidgen of ultimate transparency to some stats, but overall I prefer the strengths of Greg's designs, it's a shame more music lovers haven't heard them (Magneplanar sales might droop). The GTA 2s are narrow for a planar and don't have the billboard effect.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 08:52:30 AM »
Where is Greg anyway?

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 11:33:41 AM »
We all know that box speakers have way more punch in the mids. Sure planners are open and have a great sound stage but in the end they are flat. Flat !!!! I tell ye.
Its cool ndude.

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 11:34:08 AM »
And they are flat too.. ba haha
Its cool ndude.

Offline KLH007

• Seeking Help
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 09:55:01 AM »
We all know that box speakers have way more punch in the mids. Sure planners are open and have a great sound stage but in the end they are flat. Flat !!!! I tell ye.

You must hear the GTA 2s, which are hybrids below 100hz, they do not lack punch at all and are dynamically alive unlike any Magneplanar I've heard. Instead of using kitchen magnets Greg uses neodymium magnets for more strength and gets better sensitivity and punch with explosive dynamics, the ability to pressurize a room, along with the openness and 3D soundstage.
   I tell Ye not all planars are flat!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 06:55:38 AM »
  Planars if properly set up meaning with an amp with oddles of current they move quite a bit of air.
   I'll second the GTA-2 against all comers. Planars that is.

charles