Author Topic: Building a pair of custom open baffle speakers  (Read 15599 times)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
Building a pair of custom open baffle speakers
« on: November 09, 2010, 08:08:26 PM »
Over the years of designing and building speakers, amps, preamps, etc. I have built a few custom speakers for use in evaluation, design work as well as personal interest.

Currently being used in our facility is a custom pair of mini line arrays with 4x 5" Peerless India full range 4 ohm drivers and 3x Neo8 tweeters. This arrangement is setup up in a ported enclosure with the Neo8's taking over at 600Hz. Love the midrange of the Neo and the liveliness of the paper coned Peerless drivers. The downfall of this "Module Array" is the limited vertical dispersion whereas a single tweeter design would eliminate this problem.

This next pair will use a different 5" Peerless India 4 ohm driver set on an open baffle. There will be 2 of these drivers per baffle handling the midbass up to about 800Hz where a single Neo8 will take over. The lower frequencies will be handled by two, fast 8" woofers in a sealed enclosure. Woofers have been decided upon but I will leave that for a later time.

The system will be voiced for a fast, articulate and lively presentation. I do not like a speaker that is overly warm or that has an unnatural amount of body and they serve no purpose in the design process of electronics.

As this venture moves forward in my spare time :rofl: I will use this thread as a build progress thread.

Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Building a pair of custom open baffle speakers
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 08:38:05 PM »
Bill - you should check out the thread OB Richidoo's e-lips speakers. He has put a whole lot of time over the past few months into designing and prototyping a new OB speaker design, and shared with us all of his trials and tribulations along the way.

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=2505.0
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:44:36 PM »
I have seen his thread and commented on how much I like the design. I would love to here them.

This pair I am building I have been putting together on paper and in my head for a while now.

What comes next will be a new speaker design that nobody has done yet. A very unique, high effeciency open baffle design by Purity Audio design. It is a design my partners and I have been working on for some time. Sorry I can't provide any more details at this time.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:28:06 PM »
This pair I am building I have been putting together on paper and in my head for a while now.

What comes next will be a new speaker design that nobody has done yet. A very unique, high effeciency open baffle design by Purity Audio design. It is a design my partners and I have been working on for some time. Sorry I can't provide any more details at this time.

Sounds like an exciting project. Good luck in bringing the ideas to fruition.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 09:17:45 AM »
Sounds really cool, Bill. It's gonna be fun to hear about them as they emerge. And even more fun to hear them, for me probably at a trade show. Any timeline in mind for bringing it to market?

I have heard the Neo 3 in a 2way, great drivers. The larger unit must be even better.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:34:18 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.
The speaker that we are working on for a retail level will not use any of the drivers I have mentioned being used in the speaker I am working on now.

The. current speaker I am working on will likely go through some changes as these type of ventures always do. While doing some cleaning today, I actually came across a pair of Accuton tweeters I had no idea I had. Hmmm..... what would bring to my small arrays? After a couple different series capacitors, I ended up throwing in a 3.9uF and setting them atop the arrays. Brought a whole new level of extension, air and presence to the table. 
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 11:25:37 AM »
Luv 'em, specially in 1st order to let em shine. I keep loading madisound shopping cart with $4000 worth of accuton drivers, the cool new Neo motors. Someday I will press Submit Order.  :rofl:  Then I'll really be in trouble!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 07:43:19 AM »
  The Accuton and Raven tweeters are my favorites. Raven being the first choice. Reliability of the ribbon is an issue, but the sound is glorious.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 08:20:58 AM »
My first choice would be RAAL then Raven. After that maybe the Accuton IF done properly
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »
Okay, we have some updates and changes. Working on projects like this is done on my own time. I don't use up company time or family time so I usually only get to work on these on Sundays.

As you can see in the picture below, a few things have changed as it progressed. There are now 4 midrange drivers and we have gone to an open baffle midbass arrangement. I know it's hard to visualize this speaker from the picture so I hope to have further updates and new pictures next weekend. By the way, sorry about the picture quality but I shot it with my cell phone as I forgot my camera today.  Here's what we have.

The speaker is being designed in a module fashion. This will allow me to swap out the midrange/tweeter baffles with other designs as well as insert the baffles into sealed enclosures. see further details on this below the picture.

Okay, back to the arrangement: This speaker will need to be paired with subwoofers as it's low frequency cut off will be at only 70Hz. We basically have a large open baffle satellite speaker hear.

The midbass arrangement is using two 8" paper cone woofers with a high Qts. The woofers in the picture are only there for a visual effect as I would not use these cheap MCM poly cone woofers. As mentioned above, they will go down to only 70Hz. These 12 ohm woofers will present a 6 ohm load as wired and 92dB efficiency.

The midbass woofers will hand off to the midrange woofers at about 200Hz (further testing will have to be done before deciding).. These 4 woofers are paper cone pieces which also have a high Qts (shouldn't matter at these frequencies anyway) and a 4 ohm impedance. In the end, the midrange will show a 4 ohm load and 92.5dB efficiency.

The tweeter is an Accuton as I had a pair laying around. Big time overkill for this system but what the hell, why let them go to waste. I have not yet settled on the exact x-over frequency for the tweeter but it will probably be around 2,500Hz.

The modeling of the speaker is proving to be very positive but of course, it will be the ears and some measurements that tell the true story. From there, the fun part of tweaking begins

Module setup: As mentioned above, we are going this route to allow for a variety of midrange/tweeter arrangements. I already have another open baffle design that uses 4 pieces of 5" paper cone units, 1 Neo8 tweeter and a ribbon tweeter to provide air and extension above and beyond what Neo provides. This upper baffle is the same size as the one used in the speaker so interchanging will be very easy.

The other part of this design is that the baffles can be inserted into a sealed enclosure with it's interlocking set-up.

Well, that's it for this week.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »
Very cool. Shades of Legacy Whisper driver arrangement on the mid/tweet panel.  That round ribbon looks like the kind in the Adagio?  Thanks for the inspiration.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 03:03:13 PM »
Very cool. Shades of Legacy Whisper driver arrangement on the mid/tweet panel.
Hmm... maybe this is where the inspiration came from... but more the Helix
When complete, it will look more like the Audio Artistry Dvorak as seen below.

That round ribbon looks like the kind in the Adagio?  Thanks for the inspiration.

That IS a ribbon out of a pair of Adagio speakers. Very nice ribbon. I wanted to try it out in this design but the efficiency is not high enough.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 05:53:57 PM by Response Audio »
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 01:52:53 PM »
Very purty!!  8)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 08:06:25 PM »
Heres a couple pictures of the latest progress. This will be it for a while as I won't have any further "personal time" for a while now. They are up and running and now only need some crossover tweaking and cabinet damping. I still have to make the socks and end caps.

I am quite suprized at how spacious the soundtage is but then again, they are in a large room with plaenty of distance from any walls.

Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline tmazz

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 11:02:16 PM »
Bill these are looking really nice. Are you building these for your own personal use or is this being done with an eye towards putting them into production for retail sale?

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9