Author Topic: Gemme Audio Katana  (Read 16487 times)

Bigfish8

Re: Gemme Audio Katana
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 04:25:23 AM »
Congratulations on the new speakers Rich.  Happy Listening!

Ken

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 05:13:52 AM »
Den, come on over anytime. I'm trying to work out a meet date in the next month or so.

Thanks Chris, Ken.

EDIT: 
What SS are you using with them if not tubes?

I'm using Sol Samet's prototype i60 integrated amp, 60W.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:50:40 AM by richidoo »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 08:37:44 AM »
Beautiful speakers, Rich!   Can't wait to hear them!  :drool:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 05:46:42 PM »
Finally getting a chance to sit down and listen to some serious chamber music. These are tone monsters. Where the Usher had occasional confusion of lyrics, or unclear which octave a trumpet was playing, these speakers lay it all out bare. I think the 1st order crossing is much of the improvement. The ceramic tweeter has more texture on upper midrange stuff than the bogusium - like a violin, you can still hear the rosin on the highest notes, on the Usher it was a rounder glow. Still no sign of treble harshness whatever. Much more detail, but less anxiety thinking about is it right or wrong? "If you have to ask..."  The most thrilling part of the frequency range is lower mids. Just above the reflex enhanced frequencies it is so clear and rich in the 100-300Hz range, like cello and baritone singers. Of course the hazard with any hi resolution speaker is dealing with the recordings. Some recordings have beautiful clear imaging, others are blurred in comparison and images stick to the speakers even on newer classical recordings. But after a minute or two my brain adjusts to the new "mix", new mics, new recording space, and the music takes over. I think these speakers would like a bit deader room. I want to squeeze out every drop of information.  Saw season is almost here.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 10:50:10 AM »
I made some changes to electronics, got the bass cleared up. It is punchy and very clear now.  Hard to believe it comes from such a small box. Can't wait for you guys to hear this!

Remember the tip ecramer made about speaker cable hookup, wiring diagonally in series instead of parallel? Well, Carl thought up a nice twist, try reversing the diagonals. Like hot goes to tweeter and ground goes to woofer, then reverse it so hot goes to ground and ground goes to tweeter. Jumpers are installed as normal. There is a slight difference by reversing, can be used for fine tuning treble response. This works even on single ended amps.

Deton Nation

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »
They look gorgeous!!! Congrats!
Mike