Author Topic: Gemme Audio Katana  (Read 16488 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Gemme Audio Katana
« on: February 13, 2010, 12:29:53 PM »
I got some new speakers a couple days ago, from Black Sands Audio. Another great deal and great service from John Cook. Thank you John.

They have ceramic drivers made by Accuton. They are extremely detailed and revealing. Probably even more than the Ushers from 100Hz on up. Simply amazing midrange. Accutons really give you the texture. Below 100Hz the transmission line tuned bass comes into play. Instead of just a tapered horn, they put a port orifice at the end of the TL to lower the bass extension even more. There are two sets of tweeter posts, each with different filter, so you can have flat response X-Ray vision, or a little more rolled off with rosey glasses, which I prefer, so far. Even the dumb tweeter is still extremely resolving, just not as extended, I think.

The speaker uses 1st order filters, so transient response is perfect above the tuned bass frequencies. A single copper Goertz flat ribbon coil to the bass driver, and a Mundorf Supreme cap to the tweeter. Not sure yet as to how they make two different tweeter profiles, but I will know soon.  ;)

The bass is surprisingly powerful and tuneful. Tone is not as detailed as the direct sound, but still very good. BISL sent me this cool jazz trio disk of Brian Bromberg (thanksBob) and it really shows off the acoustic bass on this speakers. It's a great CD for listening and for system demo, BTW. I am experimenting with the port tuning. There is a removable rubber ring in the middle which can be removed to enlarge the port orifice. In the picture I have it installed backwards. The adjustable port is capable of varying the bass volume to match the speaker to the room size. My room is very big, but the little speakers really do fill it up with deep penetrating bass. CooL! 

They have a very flat impedance around 8 ohms, so they should be great with tube amps. I'm gonna try that today. I'm also gonna try sitting a little closer.

I bought these as interim speakers to enjoy and learn from them until I can build my own speakers this spring. I want to see if I can live with ceramic drivers long term. They are relatively small cabinets, and weigh about 90 pounds, so I can move them easily and try them in some of my smaller rooms.

They are covered in fingerprints and smears from shipping so please ignore that. The finish is beautiful, perfect glossy black lacquer. I gotta get some Zymol for these beauties.

One thing all the reviews said was how great they image, and that is no exaggeration. They totally disappear. Images are dense and clear straight ahead and spread out across the pan, right up to the speakers. They don't get sucked into the speaker when panned wide. Some of that is the amplifier, but the speakers have to resolve too.

I do have to say that the jumpers that come stock are not satisfactory. I used ecramers's diagonal hookup scheme and that made a huge difference, by making the jumpers less critical. Shane lent me some JPS jumpers which added even more bass control and clarity. Thanks Shane.

I'll check the calendar for a G2G date.

Here's some pics:

Black Sand Cable

Re: Gemme Audio Katana
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 01:35:15 PM »
Looking good!  :D

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 02:46:12 PM »
Wow, those still appear to be substantial.  I can't wait to hear them!  :)
Check that calendar...
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 03:52:48 PM »
Just let me know the date and what you need, if anything, for electronics :)  It's been a while since we've all gathered at your place.

I think I've heard most of the commercial speakers that use Accuton.  The only one that I didn't despise was the Evolution Acoustics MM3.  Before the BE-10 and Be-20, Usher used to use Accuton in the AC-10 and AC-20.  Worst speaker Usher ever built.... by a wide margin...  So I admit that I've got a bias going in.  But I'm curious to have a listen and see what they sound like...  it should be fun....
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 04:05:42 PM »
Yes, they are very substantial, very well built, and beautiful finish. Nice quality from Gemme. It's all carved by cnc.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »
Congrats on the new 'toys'...looking forward to hearing them soon.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

musicfile

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »
I've heard the smaller vivace ,nice sounding speakers  :thumb:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 08:59:55 PM »
I bet those Vivaces were sweet.
Thanks Steve

Offline Captain Humble

• Seeking Help
    • http://www.DodiesSeafood.com
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 06:20:16 AM »
Congratulations on the new speakers Rich. :clap:
Enjoy
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit,
what a ride!"

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 07:12:39 AM »
  Rich those Accutons [ tweeter especially] as well as the Ravens [ tweeter or mid/tweeter combo to my ears have been the drivers of choice. Delicate finiky but man what performance. They IMO really sing with tubed gear. SS is really good as well, but those tubes will make it really sing. The Accutons have a LONG break-in period, so be patient.
  Have fun experimenting and most of all ENJOY !!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 07:19:13 AM »
Rich check out www.zalytron.com for DIY Accuton speakers for future reference or if the bug strikes.

charles
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 07:28:05 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 07:33:31 AM »
Thanks rollo. They sound so good that I have not desired switching to tubes yet, but I'm gonna do it right now. Accuton drivers are something very special. They have some new high efficiency drivers now 92dB, and also true bass woofers, 11-12" so it is tempting to build a 3way with some of my ideas. They have a diamond 2" midrange for like 13k per tweet.  :shock:  But there are a lot of great drivers out these days. Truly the golden age of audio we're in.  Thanks for the link.

bacobits

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 06:22:07 PM »
Ooooo, nice Rich.
Would love to hear those.

What SS are you using with them if not tubes?

D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 07:50:07 PM »
Nice....happy listening Rich !  :beer:

http://www.gemmeaudio.com/page2/page4/Katana.html

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 09:11:35 PM »
Rich check out www.zalytron.com for DIY Accuton speakers for future reference or if the bug strikes.

Zalytron!!!! Holy cr@p!  I grew up about 5 blocks from his store in Mineola and remeber going in  there back in the 70s. I can't belive that Elliot is still around.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables