Author Topic: speakers I would like to hear  (Read 17771 times)

shep

speakers I would like to hear
« on: August 16, 2009, 08:00:02 AM »
Thought this could be an interesting topic. There are a bunch I have run across in "show reports" on various sites. This is one http://www.acoustictechnologiesllc.com/Our_Products.html. Devore is another. I actually have a whole list. Oh yes, what about the Onix Strata Mini? This was on my short wish list.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
Re: speakers I would like to hear
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 09:30:57 AM »
I tend to caution myself listening to other things for fear that I may want "NEED" them.  :roll:
Most are just a hair out of my price range, and I really don't have a desire to upgrade as I love what I've got and don't need to upgrade.
However, that being said, the only speakers I really want to hear are the MBL 101-X.
I figure they're stupidly expensive ($250,000) and there's no chance in Hell I'll be able to afford them, so I figure I'm safe hearing them.  :rofl:

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 09:46:19 AM »
Figure out a way to head out to RMAF sometime Bob - those are there along with all the MBL electronics.
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 09:57:55 AM »
I'd love to Bryan, but it won't be this year.  :(
Tell me....Do the rooms do justice to these speakers? Or are they hindered?

Bob

shep

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 09:59:50 AM »
I was thinking more on the lines of affordable  :duh Say below ten grand or five. I would be scared to death to plunk down 90,000 or whatever and then not really like them, not want to admit it and have to sell at half price!  I am convinced there are wonderful speakers in the affordable, reasonable range. I wasn't thinking about unspeakable lust!

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 10:15:47 AM »
Ohhhhh   :duh
Well in THAT case, I'd like to hear the HawthorneAudio Sterling coax.
At $1,400 a pair (complete with passive crossover networks), that's still out of my price range (for now). As much as I like their entry level drivers, I assume I'd like their "hotrod" version just that much more. All that would do is aggravate me since I can't afford them.   :lol:

Bob

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 10:33:58 AM »
I'd love to Bryan, but it won't be this year.  :(
Tell me....Do the rooms do justice to these speakers? Or are they hindered?

Bob

Gotcha.

They sound pretty good in the room they're in but I'm very very sure that a larger, more symmetric space would really allow them to bloom.

The speakers I'd really like to hear are the big TAD's

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 11:08:40 AM »
I'd love to hear (or even read a review) of the Tekton 8.1S that uses the Seas Alnico driver.

A few others would be the new Zu Essence and any of the new Emerald Physics models.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 11:56:28 AM »
I'd like to hear the new MAXX3 or Alexandria, Rockports, Magico M5.

Of real world speakers, I'd like to hear the new Legacy Audio Focus HD.

The MBLs at RMAF were the single 101s. They are always a favorite of mine. But they usually only play high impact James Bond soundtrack drum solo audiophile demotracks kinda music. Jon Valin says they are one of the most sensitive microdynamics monster speakers out there, it would be nice to get to hear them with some real music.  But they were truly awesome.

Mike L

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 03:49:49 PM »
A more common speaker I have wanted to hear for some time is the Gallo ref 3.1.  I emailed a local Gallo dealer if he had a pair a few times a couple of years ago but got no response.  Needless to say I haven't had anything to do with that dealer.

Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 04:37:54 PM »
I heard the Gallos a few times when the local dealer still sold audio. The person who convinced the store owner to sell hifi left the company and the motivation to sell hifi went with him, but they sold Gallo and CJ, Sonos. With the CJ tube electronics and self powered sub they were impressive. Much less so on a receiver. They delivered the music, not bad for $3k new.  I think the Spendor S8e sounded better overall for the same money on Quad 909. Those Spendors are some nice speakers.

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 07:42:38 PM »
Emerald Physics CS2.3's, Hawthorne Trios, GR Research V-1's all OB coax designs.  At least 2 of the 3 will be at RMAF but unfortunately I can't make it this year  :(
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 08:50:25 PM »
After owning the L7's, I would love to hear the GamuT El Superiores 9 but they are way out of reach.

http://www.gamutaudio.com/products/details.asp?id=40

Another is Zu Audio's Essence. I have some coming and I'm very much looking forward to hearing them!

http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=73&category_id=1

Last one for me is the Totem Wind. I have no idea what they are worth.

http://www.totemacoustic.com/products/columns/wind/

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
I have heard Zu Def2, but never in a good room, properly setup. That would be a treat.

mgalusha

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 07:57:16 PM »
The speakers I'd really like to hear are the big TAD's

I had a chance to hear these at Ayre acoustics, driven of course by their electronics. They were demoing the new apodizing minimum phase filters for their digital gear and from where I was sitting they big TAD's were sounding very good. I'm sure it didn't hurt to have good gear driving them but they made it easy to hear the differences between dacs and filter settings.