Author Topic: Rythmik / GR Research OB servo subs  (Read 17611 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Rythmik / GR Research OB servo subs
« on: May 15, 2009, 12:53:30 PM »
Bought these used and already built into W frame like on Danny's website, but with slanted sides for style. He said cutting the compound angle inner panels was a bitch, but it looks nice, veneered sides and black painted top and innards. Neutrik Speakon connectors, OFC wiring, wiring simplified and soldered to reduce temporary connections.

Anyway, I got em hooked up yesterday and heard some nice things right away. Today I worked at dialing it in. There's a lot of knobs and switches on the plate amps. I placed my Feastrex single driver bookshelf speakers on top of the subs and started tweaking by ear. The feastrex are supposed to corner around 60Hz, about -12dB sealed plus the -6dB step. They are extremely fast and it is difficult to mate them with mere mortal woofers - many have tried, and died...

It would be better to use a SPL meter and test tones/warblers or RTA but I didn't want to get that deep into it now, since these are going to Carls soon to supplement his Piegas. Just by ear I was able to get them sounding excellent. There was not a noticable difference in speed between the rythmik and feastrex at the crossover. I ended up with the 50Hz/24dB crossover setting, but there is also 80Hz/24 and another setting for external bass management.  It would be cool to try it with a digital crossover. 

The sound was excellent. With expert tuning it should get even better. I listened to Mile Davis' Kind of Blue for the acoustic bass intro on So what. I can hear a lot of detail on that, room reverbs and bass cavity noises. It was not as detailed or spacious LF as the bass reflex Usher with carbon drivers and Spectron amp, but I don't really know what I'm doing to tune it. But it is clearer than any other amp I have used with the Usher. Proper placement and fine tuning will no doubt take it much farther. Everyone says this is the best bass they've ever heard.

But more important than clarity, the open baffle bass was extremely musical. Along with the Feastrex paper drivers it was a very engaging, captivating enjoyable listen. I was tapping feet and nodding my head like I don't usually do with the big microscope. The biggest weakness in the overall sound was NOT the bass - finally! It was the wizzer cone breakup adding breathiness and reediness to the timbre plus the sound of the resonating pine wood box. But the sub really fleshed it all out and made my feastrex's seem like a real speaker - for the first time!!! YAY! There's hope after all. It pays to have hope. I will move forward with the non resonant spherical speaker cabinets....

Going back to the Ushers, the mids/treble cleaned up a lot, bass became clearer and more precise but also more clinical, less "in the room." But a lot of the soul was also gone, I felt missing something, a little let down from the happy party going on with the hodgepodge of wacky new technologies, albeit less accurate or realistic than the Usher/Spectron. But soon I was tapping and nodding again, just not as committed.  Maybe that's what bacobits was talking about after he heard my system, even with Snappers and AR Ref1 preamp. The mid is a little reserved, maybe too low level in the crossover mix.

Next I played my wife's new Sugarland CD, god it is awful. Not the newest Grammy winning CD, but the previous one. It makes a borderline system sound really bad, so it's a good test. The Feastrex couldn't handle the twang and sizzle, it was unbearable torture. Feastrex are notorious for making a Jesus come down from heaven with some kinds of music and crap out on other stuff. I forgot to try a big symphony, which they have never played well. The Ushers handle the Sugarland piece of cake, but it's still shrill and annoying - by design. People love this shit.

Anyway, it was a fun experiment. As I refine the Feastrex cabinets further, I may try it again. By then Carl will be a sub tuning expert. Carl, I look forward to your comments and hearing them tuned into your room.... Congrats to Rythmik's Brian and Danny Richie for a great high value product. Danny has designed a whole speaker system called Venue around this woofer.   More to come....

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Rythmik / GR Research OB servo subs
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 05:01:07 PM »
I'm so glad you got to play around with them today, Rich.  I'm even more pleased you were able to obtain them.  I can't say thanks enough... Thank you thank you thank you! :)

The C8 LTD's roll off around around 40Hz I think and the new room doesn't sound like it has a lot of boomy nodes.  It has some little peaks but nothing like rooms I've had in the past.  So, I am very interesting in getting these subs tuned into the room.  I may need some help with the initial measurements... but I'll take that and run with it... and help you when you get the Sphericlosures done.

I've never been able to get subs right.  However, the box you built for the HT is very well integrated.  I hope I can tune these in to sound as good.

Thanks again for going to get these... an entire day's worth of driving.. and for sharing your results.

-Carl

I really enjoy listening to music.

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 05:22:50 PM »
Well thanks alot guys  ;).  I contacted Larry about these but he said he had a local looking at them.  I have the top half of the Venue, they have been burning in for about 200 hours now, I wanted to know that it was at least the equal of my OB5 MTM section before spending the $$ for the bass section.  Well, I had more or less decided that I was moving forward and then I saw these up for sale, that made up my mind rather quickly.  Oh well, can't win them all.  Glad to hear they are doing good things in your system Rich.  I can't wait to hear them myself.  I am currently running the Hawthorne Augies under them, the Augies are very good, but from what I hear these should be big step up, they should be for the cost of admission as compared to the Augies.  Congrats on the purchase Carl.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 05:25:32 PM by ebag4 »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 06:22:53 PM »
Sorry Ed!  With that price I knew we'd better jump quick that's why I high tailed it out there.  I might even buy my own now after hearing them. Larry is a real angel. I wish I lived near him, he has a lot to tell. And Asheville is soo beautiful. He probably told you that he used his OB5 on these. I had so much fun hearing them today I think I'll listen to them again tomorrow. I was gonna send them to Carl, but that may have to wait a while...

I did try open baffle Peerless XLS drivers once. They are very nice drivers, but not servo. Intended for boxes. Danny brewed these rythmik drivers especially for OB.

Carl your room has only minor bass nodes because of the carefully chosen dimensions using modecalc, and your ability to hold the contractors to the inch. Sometimes things work out just right!

The Venue looks like a pretty good deal. Coax driver, rear tweeter, crossover, 4 bass drivers and 2 plate amps for $2k. Just add wood and 100 hours of woodworking and you have 97db speakers with slamming active OB bass. I hope I can learn to tune the plate amp to full potential. I gotta learn what the bottom right 2 switches do. "Extension filter"  :?:

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 07:00:21 PM »
Sorry Ed!  With that price I knew we'd better jump quick that's why I high tailed it out there.  I might even buy my own now after hearing them. Larry is a real angel. I wish I lived near him, he has a lot to tell. And Asheville is soo beautiful. He probably told you that he used his OB5 on these. I had so much fun hearing them today I think I'll listen to them again tomorrow. I was gonna send them to Carl, but that may have to wait a while...

No issues Rich, it was a good enough deal they were going to be snatched up quickly.  I did not know Larry was using them wih OB5's, I find that interesting.  I am enjoying the Venue top half, but I loved the MTM section of the OB5 as well.  I run the Augies undr the OB5 MTM section (I call it the OB4A) and have really enjoyed this speaker for about 18 months now.  Of course I was starting to get the itch to build another OB when Danny came up with the Venue, the sensitivity and noted dynamics caught my attention immediately.  I normally drive the OB4A with a factory modded Jolida 102B, of course the Augies have their own plate amps, but with the Venue I actually prefer my little self modded battery powered T-amp.  6 watts with the Venue can practically run me out of my small room.  The bass from the P-Audio driver is really good, drums sound substantially better with the T-amp and P-Audio than they do with the OB5 MTM section on the Jolida.  The wonderful drums that everyone loves from the Venue isn't only from the bass section, the P-audio apparently plays a significant role in this as well.  The sticks hitting the skins, the thwacks, all of that sound pretty great from the P-audio.  This realisation shocked me a bit because I didn't really expect any improvement there.  I'm really looking forward to hearing the entire package together, I think it may be pretty special.

Best,
Ed

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 07:38:40 PM »
I was gonna send them to Carl, but that may have to wait a while...
Take all the time you want.. I'd actually like to hear them at your place.. I think they'd be interesting to see at your G2G also..
TTYL,
Carl

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 05:16:07 PM »
Rich....

It would be better to use a SPL meter and test tones/warblers or RTA but I didn't want to get that deep into it now, since these are going to Carl's soon to supplement his Piegas.

Are you saying that the Piegas don't go "low enough" ? No....I've not hear a pair of Piegas speakers...just seen photo's. Thanks.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 05:47:47 PM »
Piegas have very good bass....

but Carl is insatiable.  :twisted:

I have to admit I am curious how it will sound.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »
..but Carl is insatiable.

Must be all those RAP recordings he owns.... :rofl:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 06:24:42 PM »
Yeah, that and he just hung a new projector down there too... You know what that means...

http://terminatorsalvation.warnerbros.com/

We built him a nice sub for dinosaurs, bombs and comet collisions with Earth.  It is big enough for Carl to fit in. But I couldn't get the screws on fast enough, so he got out.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 06:29:48 PM »
You know when this all started....after Carl's visit to NYC...boom,boom,...boom,boom....the rhythm of the street....rolling down the road in his BMW... :rofl:

So....when are you coming up ?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 08:29:28 PM »
I DO like the basssss.. More importantly I like the bass done to perfection, not just big... as always, I'm a little finicky about how I like it. ;)
A trip to NYC sounds like a good idea.  With all the projects I've got going on, not sure when it'll happen...  I've got room for a few visitors if some of the NY gang wants to hang with the NC gang... Just throwin' it out there. 

The Piega's do bass ok but the bass quality doesn't have enough impact and detail for me.  This could be caused by the DAC, which I intend to find out as well.  However, those subs seemed to be just the ticket for finding out how much bass can be retrieved... and maybe I can make the most of my DAC's shy bass and get the benefits of its sweet mids and top end.  I don't know.. but the subs were something to try... And I think this will be my last attempt.  If these don't do it for me, I'm swearing off subs for good. 

So far I've found subs easy to integrate into HT where I don't know what it's supposed to be like.. and when using a sub with my non-reference level systems, they work fine.  But when trying to really integrate them with the reference system... it's always been an excersize in futility for me.

Speaking of HT, it is sounding and looking mighty impressive at the moment.  Blu-ray sounds so much better than regular DVD... what a relief.

-C
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 08:31:10 PM by Carlman »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 08:40:24 PM »
GOOD Bass is important...I think of it as the foundation of all good music.

But when trying to really integrate them with the reference system... it's always been an excersize in futility for me.

This seems to happen often for many people. Good for HT....but not working together with the music system.

I hope to get down for a visit....one of these days Carl.... I seem to be always working...
I guess that's good....hope your keeping busy.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 08:43:15 PM »
You know when this all started....after Carl's visit to NYC...boom,boom,...boom,boom....the rhythm of the street....rolling down the road in his BMW... :rofl:

So....when are you coming up ?

I'd like that - it's been 5 years since I went up with musicians, pre audiophile. Carl and I have spoken of coming up. Maybe coincide with a Rave and some good jazz. Tough to get Julie off on the weekend, but planning and persistence can do miracles.

We gotta get Carl some Tupac. Maybe it will grow on him?  He's finally got the bass power for it.  I wouldn't even know where to go to buy that. Do you need a dealer? I bet it's not at Target.  :?

The OB subs can hang with stereo, Carl, no problem, especially since your speakers are already a few feet out from front. I think you only need 50Hz, It can keep up with Piega at that speed, no problem. You'll find out tomorrow. Maybe I should hold them til Monday so Christine doesn't get pissed that you disappear down the man cave all day tomorrow. These subs are very tweeky, all those little nervosa enhancing buttons.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »
It's just another fun time waiting to happen.  Christine is aware of my 'sub trip' already.  I will have to get some work done before I pick them up or I will get no work done. ;) 

I'm fully excited about hifi again.  Friends were over tonight for a viewing of 'Welcome to the Dollhouse'... a weird little film.. and didn't really show off any of the technology.. but I still marvelled at the sound quality on a few drum-heavy music parts.. That big sub is nice.

Looking forward to hearing them!  I'll tweak them till I think it sounds right.

We'll work out the NY trip sometime.  It's a lot of fun just to be there.. audiofriends make it special, though. :)

-C