Author Topic: Thailand - just south of the Laos border  (Read 4754 times)

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Thailand - just south of the Laos border
« on: November 12, 2019, 04:00:18 PM »
Before heading into Laos last year, we stopped in Udon Thani, Thailand for two nights followed by two nights in Nong Khai, Thailand to chill out on the Mekong before crossing the river to enter Laos. This part of Thailand is off the beaten tourist path. There were tourists, for sure, but these towns are not on the top 10 list of hot destinations. This is a poorer part of Thailand that is dirtier and more polluted than I would have preferred. Nonetheless, the locals were all extremely friendly, the guesthouses were very clean, and the food was delicious.

Not sure which order the photos will be in, but I happened upon an audio shop in Udon Thani. The proprietor spoke 30 words of English and I spoke 10 words of Thai, so it was mostly an "Ooh, ahh" and "Thumbs up" discussion with plenty of smiling.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:20:49 PM by mresseguie »
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
Re: Thailand - just south of the Laos border
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 04:35:24 PM »
Thanks mresseguie
for the photos of your trip to Thaïland.
Thailand being close to Vietnam,
I've been there more than a dozen times,
unfortunately only in Bangkok, not where you've been.
Never been in Laos.

Guy 13

On your way to or back from Taiwan, I would sure like you to make
make a detour to planet Vietnam so we can shake hands.

Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 05:31:31 PM »
Guy,

Thailand....yeah. I hear you. I've been there nearly a dozen times as well. My first visit was in 1987 just after my summer studying Mandarin in Tianjin, China. I spent 5 days in Bangkok followed by two weeks on Koh Samui. This was before the airport had been built, so I took the slow overnight boat to get there. Now, Koh Samui is overrun with tourists.  :(  From Koh Samui, I took a bus all the way to Singapore. The AC on the bus was freezing:shock:

If that detour is going to happen, it'll have to be in January or February, but not during Lunar New Year festivities. I'll speak with my wife about it. She's been to Vietnam, so she may not be that interested in going. We'll see.
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 05:48:04 PM »
Guy,

Thailand....yeah. I hear you. I've been there nearly a dozen times as well. My first visit was in 1987 just after my summer studying Mandarin in Tianjin, China. I spent 5 days in Bangkok followed by two weeks on Koh Samui. This was before the airport had been built, so I took the slow overnight boat to get there. Now, Koh Samui is overrun with tourists.  :(  From Koh Samui, I took a bus all the way to Singapore. The AC on the bus was freezing:shock:

If that detour is going to happen, it'll have to be in January or February, but not during Lunar New Year festivities. I'll speak with my wife about it. She's been to Vietnam, so she may not be that interested in going. We'll see.

Hi mresseguie,
here on planet during Vietnam,
during the Vietnamese Lunar New Year everything is close for 10 days,
they celebrate more than we do during Christmas and-or (Calendar) New Year.
If your wife agree to let you travel alone, then you are welcome in my humble villa.

Guy 13

Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 08:05:31 PM »
Before heading into Laos last year, we stopped in Udon Thani, Thailand for two nights followed by two nights in Nong Khai, Thailand to chill out on the Mekong before crossing the river to enter Laos. This part of Thailand is off the beaten tourist path. There were tourists, for sure, but these towns are not on the top 10 list of hot destinations. This is a poorer part of Thailand that is dirtier and more polluted than I would have preferred. Nonetheless, the locals were all extremely friendly, the guesthouses were very clean, and the food was delicious.

Not sure which order the photos will be in, but I happened upon an audio shop in Udon Thani. The proprietor spoke 30 words of English and I spoke 10 words of Thai, so it was mostly an "Ooh, ahh" and "Thumbs up" discussion with plenty of smiling.

Thanks for posting, Michael. As I don’t travel out of the US, I especially enjoy seeing photos of other countries.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS