Author Topic: What have you found to be best...  (Read 22372 times)

JakeJ

Re: What have you found to be best...
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2009, 09:35:02 AM »
Thanks for the offer LK but I need octets.  The VAC PA-160 requires four output tubes per monoblock.  I Googled Richardson tubes and got the Richardson Electronics, Ltd. website but found no KT 88 nor any standard audio tubes, just a lot of transmitting and receiving tubes.  Is there a vendor for them?

I have to say the Penta Labs are very nice and I think maybe shed a hint of what could be the SQ of the Black Treasures.  Keepin' my fingers crossed that Grant/Rachel/Shuguang put's em on sale again.

Have fun,
JakeJ

JakeJ

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 03:00:44 AM »
Update - I pulled the Pentas today and plugged in the Gold Lions.

After a half hour warm-up period, during which I had one good pop from the left channel, I put on some music and let it play in the background.  About an hour later I noticed the midrange and lower treble was cleaner and less congested sounding.  Also I note they seem a bit more dynamic than the Pentas and bass is a bit more punchy.  Time will tell.

YMMV,
JakeJ

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 03:09:31 PM »
I am eagerly awaiting to hear your thoughts on the GoldLion after about 50 hours. Have you considered some tube dampers for your driver tubes? I have had good results with Herbies Ultra Sonics tube dampers on my 6922 driver tubes. The GL KT88 tubes have been great for me.
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 03:43:52 PM »
Jake, just to push you over the edge, my Black Treasure 300Bs are the best tubes I have ever heard. They are finally broken in now after several hundred hours. No reason to think KT88 would be anything less, for pentodes, that is... ;) 6CA7 is known to be a supreme tube also.