Author Topic: My Adelphos build  (Read 10103 times)

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
My Adelphos build
« on: October 29, 2014, 08:47:44 PM »
Hi, all. I began to post to Richidoo's Kairos thread, but realized that would be hijacking...and I don't wanna piss off the admin in my first week. I figure that ought to wait till I have at least thirty posts. :)

I ordered my kit from Meniscus. I upgraded the coils with the proffered linkwitz coils and sonicaps. I paid to have Mark at Meniscus assemble the XO for me. This is just my second speaker kit, and the first was GR Research's LGK single driver speakers. Now that I have a netter idea what a XO looks like, I may save a few bucks next time--TBD.

I paid for the upgrade not because I have tons of experience with upgraded XOs but because I've read so many people's posts on how improved the sound was with various upgrades. I decided I wanted to get the best sound possible from these drivers.

Admittedly, I went a little cheap on the cabinet material--3/4" Sapele pre-finished plywood because I didn't want to mess with finishing MDF. Once these are finished and I've listened to them for a while, I can easily redo two more cabinets using either MDF or Baltic Birch plywood. I really like the look of your Kairos cabinets, Rich. I hadn't seen the pics before I began construction of my cabinets.

I just discovered an 'oops' in my back panel. The port hole was cut to the same diameter as the port tube without my considering the diameter of the port tube cap (or whatever the hell it's called). I think it's off by 1/8" all around. I don't trust my hand or eyes to correct that with a hole drill bit, so I plan to use sand paper and a file to widen the hole ($&@-/#%¥!) unless you all have better suggestions.....or do I just cork the holes and go with sealed speakers? Sealing is a heck of a lot faster and easier.

I'm using No Rez inside the cabinets except for the bottom panel in each speaker. I used a sheet of Dynamat against the wood followed by a sheet of RAAMmat on top of that. The XO will be attached onto that. A couple years ago, my son and I applied both Dynamat and RAAMmat to the floor, doors, firewall and rear wall of my '07 Tacoma PreRunner to make it oh so quiet inside. There was some left over, so I thought I'd try it in these cabinets. I'll use some on the front baffle as well.

What else? I'm wondering if I should use better quality wiring inside. The wiring in the LGKs is much thicker than in this kit. Your opinions greedily sought... :lol:

I'll follow up with pics.

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline mresseguie

Re: My Adelphos build
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 01:02:13 AM »
Oh, man. I just reread my post and discovered the lack of an 'edit' option when i tried to correct my typos.  :duh

My speakers are finished. They are breaking in now. I've been told 100 hours is a good break in target, so there are only 92 hours remaining.

This was a good learning experience for me. I've gained confidence, learned more cabinet construction skills, and now understand the importance in following directions. [I never followed directions when I built model airplanes as a kid.]

They sound pretty good already, but I really look forward to when they get closer to 100 hours. I noticed right away that they are less efficient than my ProAc D2s.

I'm eager to tackle a subwoofer project for myself and a speaker project for my son. The subwoofer will be the double eight inch Rythmik/GR Research creation. Its SQ is essentially the same as the Rythmik F12G, but the cabinet is only 10" (or 10.5") wide by approx. 20" high. (I already own one F12G sub, so I know how it sounds.)  I haven't decided which speaker to build for my son. He isn't especially demanding, so any MT or MTM design with decent mid-range quality ought to work pretty well.

In preparation for future projects, I will teach myself how to veneer. I'll practice on various pieces of wood, MDF, and plywood that have been sitting around collecting dust, so I avoid making silly mistakes once my next speakers are ready.

I don't doubt all DIYers have made this same discovery, but.....I'm really proud of myself and thrilled that I was able to build this amazing pair of speakers for about $1000 that would have cost ~60% more manufacturer direct or more than double if it were for sale in an audiophile shop.  :thumb: No wonder there are so many people building their own speakers!

If I can figure out how to shrink the size of my pictures, I will post pics.

Michael
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

djdube525

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 05:20:59 AM »
I just discovered an 'oops' in my back panel. The port hole was cut to the same diameter as the port tube without my considering the diameter of the port tube cap (or whatever the hell it's called). I think it's off by 1/8" all around. I don't trust my hand or eyes to correct that with a hole drill bit, so I plan to use sand paper and a file to widen the hole ($&@-/#%¥!) unless you all have better suggestions.....or do I just cork the holes and go with sealed speakers? Sealing is a heck of a lot faster and easier.

Having experience trying to enlargen a hole after drilled (granted, this was for recessed lighting in a soffit), it doesn't work. There's no way without having a guide of some sorts...

What I would do... find a scrap piece of plywood... make the desired hole (not sure what you have, or are using... drill? router?

Use the scrap piece of plywood as a guide. If using a router, you could probably get by with some tacky paper between the scrap piece of plywood and the speaker box. Ideally... you'd like to clamp it down to ensure it doesn't shift.

Hope this helps.

djdube525

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 05:22:01 AM »
Whoops... I replied too late. I see you have them done now.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 06:54:52 AM »
You are waaaaaaayyyyyyyy better off building your own speakers rather than buying. I would say that most experienced designers can build a better speaker that a mass marketed brand for 1/4 the cost, even the hi-end ones and they will sound better. And if you don't have the design experience you buy a design and build it (Linkwitz lx521). Good luck.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 07:52:06 AM »
The way to enlarge the hole is to cut a blank that fits the old hole, glue it in. Then you have a new center hole to cut a bigger hole. If you use a router circle cutting jig then the holes and plugs will fit closely. But if you use hole saw there will be a large kerf that you can fill in with masking or electrical tape, or solid cardboard, paper, etc.

Another way of fixing the too small port hole, you can shorten the port tube by the thickness of the box and glue it to the inside of the box, coaxial to the hole. If there is a step where the wood hole is bigger than the ID of the pipe, you can putty that up. "Can't see it from my house."  :rofl:

If you're using subs, then you want your mains to be sealed anyway, to eliminate the phase error introduced by the ports. The sub and mains will integrate better without ports on the mains.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 08:01:29 AM »
You can use the Resize command in Microsoft Paint to shrink your pictures. Paint is included in every version of Windows.

Then use the "Additional Options..." link below the post entry field and the Post button. You can attach pictures to your post there.

I have tried posting pictures direct from cell phone using Tapatalk, but it didn't work for me.

Posts are editable for only 36 hours, recently increased from 8 hours.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 10:35:53 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!

After struggling with how to enlarge the port hole, I bought a 2 1/4" hole cutting blade. I did figure out that I must use a guide piece for the center drill bit. I cut a square of plywood whose diagonal diameter just matched the hole's diameter. The square piece did not need to be fixed, but just needed to guide the bit. It worked like a charm.

Once I had sanded the hole a tad, I slipped the port cap into the hole........only to discover that the part of the cap that is supposed to snuggly fit in the hole is another 1/2" wider!  :duh :duh I sat there for a moment to reflect on how easy it is to make mistakes without an experienced buddy beside me to point out obvious (to an old hand) mistakes. Since the 2 1/4" tube fit snuggly and I didn't feel like buying yet another hole cutting blade that I may never use again, I quietly said, "F@&$ it!" Good 'nuf." I'll post a pic of the back panel with a close up of the cap.  :rofl:

Jimbones:

I keep bumping into references to the Linkwitz lx521, seen kits for sale, and been to the website. I noticed the 'odd' shape and know only too damned well my wife would never allow that in the family room. Additionally, I believe they perform best when pulled out into the room...and that won't work either.

I know they are great speakers, but until I can have my own dedicated room, odd shaped speakers or speakers that must be pulled out 4 or 5 feet will remain in other homes. [Tell me your address and I'll buy the house next door.  ;) ]

Part of my decision for wanting the double eight subs is--when combined with the Adelphos--they will be a nice rectangle placed to either side of the TV. Nice and safe until the volume is turned up!
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »
What's a port cap?

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »

<<I keep bumping into references to the Linkwitz lx521, seen kits for sale, and been to the website. I noticed the 'odd' shape and know only too damned well my wife would never allow that in the family room. Additionally, I believe they perform best when pulled out into the room...and that won't work either.

I know they are great speakers, but until I can have my own dedicated room, odd shaped speakers or speakers that must be pulled out 4 or 5 feet will remain in other homes. [Tell me your address and I'll buy the house next door.  ]
>>

Thats funny! I think they look like one of those wardrobe hangars . Figured you wife can drape her outfits over it. I am fortunate to have a "Man Cave" in my basement. It is not a large area, but it is a seperate and distinct area I can call my own  :thumb: I am running a dipole of my own design and love them.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
Just googled Linkwitz lx521 and looked at some photos.  :shock:

They are definitiely the antithesis of wife friendly.  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 02:49:16 PM »
Just googled Linkwitz lx521 and looked at some photos.  :shock:

They are definitiely the antithesis of wife friendly.  :roll:

yes, but does it look like it would hold your wife's blouse really well?! Those speakers are the Bomb!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »
Looks like Nao Note?

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that one of the reviewers thought these were the best in show I think at RMAF, not sure.

djdube525

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 03:49:24 PM »
I sat there for a moment to reflect on how easy it is to make mistakes without an experienced buddy beside me to point out obvious (to an old hand) mistakes. Since the 2 1/4" tube fit snuggly and I didn't feel like buying yet another hole cutting blade that I may never use again, I quietly said, "F@&$ it!" Good 'nuf." I'll post a pic of the back panel with a close up of the cap.  :rofl:

FWIW... I had a similar issue with said remodel project above (I was off by a quarter inch)... I went to the local Home Depot, to their rental department and explained my situation (I was contemplating an entirely different tool)... they came out with a collection of hole saws for me to pick through. When I asked how much, they said "if you bring it back in a couple of hours... don't sweat it". They didn't even take my info down... I have to say the people at the local HD has been very accommodating when asked. Probably because of the uber, local, old school hardware store that garners a ton of traffic.

Never hurts to ask... you may be surprised.