Author Topic: Power Supplies  (Read 4404 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Power Supplies
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:14:45 AM »
  OK then we all have heard many designers say that the power supply is what we are really listening to.
   Is there an ultimate power supply ? Tube regulated SS regulated, Choked ?
    Obviously size, cost and practicality are considered for home audio products.
    What if one was going to build the ultimate power supply cost no object. Would the trannies be key ? Voltage regulators ? All of the above ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: Power Supplies
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 12:35:31 PM »
I think most women will agree that a stiff power supply is critical to good performance :?
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
I think most women will agree that a stiff power supply is critical to good performance :?

:lol:
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:37:27 PM »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 02:06:29 PM »
Is there an ultimate power supply ?

A perfect electrical power supply would have zero source impedance. Then any load would not sag and full current would be delivered with no time delay. Current does the work, and is delivered in inverted proportion to the source impedance. Infinitely low impedance is infinite damping is infinite control. Whatever lowers output impedance makes the PS 'better' - on the test bench that is....

But high damping is "accuracy," and audiophiles can only take so much of that. Consider all the ways we add distortion on purpose, and pay a ton to do it. Accuracy is not what it's cracked up to be.

DaveC

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:01:33 PM »
The final filter in the PS makes the most difference, whether battery or rectified AC. I have heard huge differences by using low ESR film caps instead of electrolytics in the PS, specifically the Clarity Cap TC series caps.