Author Topic: Amp Choices  (Read 2361 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Amp Choices
« on: May 28, 2021, 12:36:25 PM »
  As some here here know I use Rethm Saadhana speakers. They have a  100DB sensitivity. Anything 1/2 W will do. We all hear some say all Amps sound the same basically. After using several amps recently to determine the best synergy for me was interesting.
  First off a Dennis Haad Inspire 5 tube EL84 stereo amp at 4W/ch. Rich warm sweet romantic. Then a Alan Eaton 45 Stereo amp at 1 1/2 W/ch. Similar in character yet more dynamic and open and vocals to die for. Better transient speed as well. Next custom Consonance 211 mono blocks at 18W/ch using Duelund CAST output caps. More dynamic better focus, bass, top end extension  and harmonic decay of notes. larger sound stage with depth.
  Last but not least Audio Hungary special order AE15 mono blocks using 6C33B output tubes. Natural uncolored accurate sound. Balls to the floor bass and pristine top end. Largest sound stage as well. Hearing a harmonic linger to it's end or joined by another harmonic is just breath taking. Vocals rright there with ya.
  The Amps cost between $1200 to 15K. In the end the differences were not small. I could live with any of them as long as I did not hear the better one. Amps matter greatly. There is a special synergy to be had with right combo.
   Keep on trucking til you find a glorious synergy of Amp/Speaker. Have fun trying. Amps are NOT the same.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Re: Amp Choices
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 02:41:10 PM »
  As some here here know I use Rethm Saadhana speakers. They have a  100DB sensitivity. Anything 1/2 W will do. We all hear some say all Amps sound the same basically. After using several amps recently to determine the best synergy for me was interesting.
  First off a Dennis Haad Inspire 5 tube EL84 stereo amp at 4W/ch. Rich warm sweet romantic. Then a Alan Eaton 45 Stereo amp at 1 1/2 W/ch. Similar in character yet more dynamic and open and vocals to die for. Better transient speed as well. Next custom Consonance 211 mono blocks at 18W/ch using Duelund CAST output caps. More dynamic better focus, bass, top end extension  and harmonic decay of notes. larger sound stage with depth.
  Last but not least Audio Hungary special order AE15 mono blocks using 6C33B output tubes. Natural uncolored accurate sound. Balls to the floor bass and pristine top end. Largest sound stage as well. Hearing a harmonic linger to it's end or joined by another harmonic is just breath taking. Vocals rright there with ya.
  The Amps cost between $1200 to 15K. In the end the differences were not small. I could live with any of them as long as I did not hear the better one. Amps matter greatly. There is a special synergy to be had with right combo.
   Keep on trucking til you find a glorious synergy of Amp/Speaker. Have fun trying. Amps are NOT the same.

charles

I have not auditioned any of the above, but I definitely concur with you, that different amps sound different.
SS vs SS, SS vs Tube, Tube vs Tube, they all sound different. Since all the amps sound different, I would keep the one that causes the fewest sonic problems (assuming it is reliable), the least number of sonic flaws.

The best sound I have ever found in 40+ years, is when one goes all vertical. For me, that is to upgrade and design, from the Source thru Ics, thru Electronics (Phono, Preamp, Amp), thru Speaker wires, and thru Speakers. Rid the faults of each, and the synergy is perfect, the music sounds so natural, palpable, incredible.

Which one sounded the best in your system Charles?

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 02:45:09 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 03:12:20 PM »
I will say- amps definitely sound different- I’ve had a number of them in my living room in the past two decades... Tube, SS, Hybrid (Moscode 401HR).
I like the combination of a tube-like sound coupled with no back-of-my-mind thoughts of tube rolling. A class A amp provides that for me. They are always at the low end of the power spectrum, but sound like so much more- just like tube amps. I’m not saying they sound the same, but I like the warmer sound of class A without tube nervosa.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 08:20:42 AM »
   For Analog LP playback Custom 211 for Digital Audio Hungary 6C33B A15. Just bought some Duelund CAST .47 caps for coupling 211 tubes. Cannot wait to hear them. Using a V-Cap Teflon at input. Hoping a good synergy.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 09:15:58 AM »
   For Analog LP playback Custom 211 for Digital Audio Hungary 6C33B A15. Just bought some Duelund CAST .47 caps for coupling 211 tubes. Cannot wait to hear them. Using a V-Cap Teflon at input. Hoping a good synergy.

charles

Do you have a device to help burn the caps in or will it be install and wait…and wait?
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 11:32:56 AM »

charles

Do you have a device to help burn the caps in or will it be install and wait…and wait?

Does a Shark swim ? Yes. A Hagerman Frybaby. No way waiting takes about 500 hours to stop changing.  :duh

charles

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 11:37:51 AM »

charles

Does a Shark swim ? Yes. A Hagerman Frybaby. No way waiting takes about 500 hours to stop changing.  :duh

charles

I figured as much. Thanks for the info on the sharks 🦈 😳
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz