Author Topic: Ethernet Cables  (Read 9178 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Ethernet Cables
« on: December 26, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »
OK so Im not looking to start any arguments lets keep this civil. My question is simple, has anyone replaced a general purpose ethernet cable with one designed for "audio" use? If so what was your findings? I am currently using a 20ft ethernet cable as my NAS is about 15 ft from my Streamer.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Ethernet Cables
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 05:55:26 PM »
Before you go to that stage, have you tried CAT6a SSTP style Ethernet cable?  That is the heavily shielded variety with pair shielding.  If you use the stranded version (patch style) very flexible for use.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Snagless-Shielded-Ethernet/dp/B00HEM4ZX0?th=1

Just a thought.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 07:06:17 PM »
Not sure what type I have, but it is a decent Cat5E cable. I think the "super" cables are Cat7 or even Cat8.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 07:11:24 PM »
Most of the CAT6a SSTP patch cables use PTFE insulation, a type of Teflon for high bandwidth.  With two shields and connector grounds, should be a great starting point beyond CAT5 cable. 

If you need 10Gig bandwidth, look at the newer designs. 

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 09:24:23 AM »
Most of the CAT6a SSTP patch cables use PTFE insulation, a type of Teflon for high bandwidth.  With two shields and connector grounds, should be a great starting point beyond CAT5 cable. 

If you need 10Gig bandwidth, look at the newer designs.

Just checked:I am using standard Cat5E.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 11:55:48 PM »
I use a Monoprice Cat 6 Ethernet cable, 20' 24AWD for $7.28 shipping inc. Works for me.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023201&p_id=5008&seq=1&format=2

Bells & whistles not included. :)

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 10:13:48 AM »
  Are RJ45, I2S and Ethernet all the same types ? For short lengths is shielding recommended ? Is the ground important as well ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »
I have used RJ45 connector/Ethernet cable with ground for I2S Bus connections.  Even short runs should be shielded for that application.

I always use the SSTP style CAT6a Ethernet patch cable since it is stranded.  Solid core is for plenum installs and not to be moved around alot.   Easy to break compared to the stranded.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 01:10:57 PM »
I have used RJ45 connector/Ethernet cable with ground for I2S Bus connections.  Even short runs should be shielded for that application.

I always use the SSTP style CAT6a Ethernet patch cable since it is stranded.  Solid core is for plenum installs and not to be moved around alot.   Easy to break compared to the stranded.

Thanks Hal.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 01:20:38 PM »
I use a Monoprice Cat 6 Ethernet cable, 20' 24AWD for $7.28 shipping inc. Works for me.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023201&p_id=5008&seq=1&format=2

Bells & whistles not included. :)

Cheers,
Robin

I should add that the 20' cable is only for my non-audio laptop. I use a much shorter 1' cable for my HAL MS-3.
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »
My use of I2S Ethernet cable is between my transport and DAC.  To date the best sounding I have used are TWL/PIA Ethernet and Wireworld Starlite. Open big sound no coloration noticed with either design.
  The generic cables work however not to the degree of the fore mentioned designs. A supra cable was supplied with the transport. VG just a bit warm and noisey directly compared to the others.
  These cables like all others offer a different presentation of sound. If a budget issue stay put if not try as many as you can starting with TWL and Wireworld. Have fun boys. Remember there is no best just different.

charles

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 06:25:26 PM »
Talk to Pete @ TWL.

Might be something there for you.

Just sayin'.

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 08:14:02 AM »
Talk to Pete @ TWL.

Just sayin'.

Dave we have the TWL/PIA Ethernet cable, pay attention. We are having an issue with the female connector of DAC and transport. Loose and can either loose or distort signal. Very puzzling as not all Ethernet cables tried have this issue. Just the Wireworld and TWL/PIA cable.
It must be the female Ethernet connector. Is ther a standard DIN of such things ?

charles

Offline dBe

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 11:17:43 PM »
Talk to Pete @ TWL.

Just sayin'.

Dave we have the TWL/PIA Ethernet cable, pay attention. We are having an issue with the female connector of DAC and transport. Loose and can either loose or distort signal. Very puzzling as not all Ethernet cables tried have this issue. Just the Wireworld and TWL/PIA cable.
It must be the female Ethernet connector. Is ther a standard DIN of such things ?

charles
Hmmmmmmm. That is odd because that Telegartner connector IS the DIN standard.  One thought that I have is that they are relatively high mass and this may be causing an issue with less stringently spec'ed input receptacles.  I'll do some research and get back to you.

Sometimes "the best" is relative I'm beginning to learn. 

Drat!

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 01:37:39 PM »
My use of I2S Ethernet cable is between my transport and DAC.  To date the best sounding I have used are TWL/PIA Ethernet and Wireworld Starlite. Open big sound no coloration noticed with either design.
  The generic cables work however not to the degree of the fore mentioned designs. A supra cable was supplied with the transport. VG just a bit warm and noisey directly compared to the others.
  These cables like all others offer a different presentation of sound. If a budget issue stay put if not try as many as you can starting with TWL and Wireworld. Have fun boys. Remember there is no best just different.

charles

If it is an I²S bus specification, there may be an issue since I²S signal paths should be kept as short as possible, ideally around 10 cm maximum. That's 4" long, not 6 ft. like the Freedom cable! Longer runs will result in signal degradation or might not work at all. The I2S standard was originally written for interfacing at the chip level on PCBs.

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS