Author Topic: Drum Corps International  (Read 3614 times)

WEEZ

Drum Corps International
« on: June 22, 2007, 05:35:30 PM »
For those of you who have been to a DCI show, you know how entertaining and thrilling it can be.

For those who don't know, or haven't ever been...check out www.dci.org to see if there is going to be a show near you this summer.

It just so happens, that Jim (Double Ugly) and I (and our wives) have excellent seats for the show in Murfreesboro, TN on July the 13th.

Screaming brass; thundering drums; magnificant color(s); flags; and drills. These young kids perform their hearts out...

WEEZ

WEEZ

Re: Drum Corps International
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 01:06:45 PM »
Well, it was a great event, as usual. Weather was perfect (warm without being hot and muggy) and the adrenilin rush from almost 3 hours of crisp brass and lots of drums is wearing off slowly today.

The top 3 corps were separated by only .125 points! Everybody had a differing opinion of who won the competition, but the top 3 (top 4, actually) set the place on it's feet.

After the competition, one of the corps (The Cadets) played an encore without the drill. Just 66 brass players standing shoulder to shoulder in 3 rows producing a SPL of prolly 110 db. :D

(made the hair on the back of my neck stand up)

WEEZ

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 02:46:46 PM »
One of my son's friends did the DCi Tour last year with one of the groups.  What a great experience but a lot of hard work too.

You're right, it's absolutely amazing what can be done with a group that size.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Double Ugly

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 08:58:24 PM »
This was my first DCI event, but I doubt it'll be my last.  WEEZ and my wife were marching band members, and as such they share a perspective I will never have.  Even so, the dedication, skill, work ethic and teamwork necessary to perform at the level I witnessed Friday night was obvious and is tremendous.  *THAT* I can appreciate!   :clap:

Thanks you, WEEZ, for arranging for the tickets and transportation, and thank you even more for the gracious hospitality shown us by you and your lovely wife "B" last night.  You were the best of hosts, and the brats and ancillary dishes weren't bad either!  :wink: 

The return trip was long and boring as usual, but the usual affects were mitigated to a great degree by the high Kandy and I are still on.  Though I don't have the ability to bring a similar DCI competition to this God-forsaken place, I can and will attempt to duplicate the kindness we experienced during our short stay. 

As I said before we left, I can't help that you'll be in Mississippi, but Kandy's cooking is good enough to make you forget where you are for a while!  :lol:

I took a few pictures and will try to post if/when I figure out how to download them from my new camera.   :?

-Jim

WEEZ

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 12:35:04 PM »
Jim, glad you and Kandy made it back okay after a 'whirlwind' weekend :).

We hope to make it down to Mississippi.....maybe in Sept...otherwise, see you in Denver :D/

WEEZ

(looking forward to seeing how that new camera did...)