Author Topic: Anyone going to a Wrecking Ball tour date? (Springsteen)  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
Anyone going to a Wrecking Ball tour date? (Springsteen)
« on: February 18, 2012, 02:57:00 AM »
Title says it all. Still debating over March 19th in Greensboro. I've seen him several times, won't be the same without the big man (saw him that way on Tunnel of Love tour), plus tix are pretty steep, and I hate acoustics in these big arenas.  Thinking I'd wait til last minute and see if I can pick some up below face from late conflicts/cancellations.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Anyone going to a Wrecking Ball tour date? (Springsteen)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:28:26 AM »
Greensboro acoustics are better than RBC Arena by a mile...

Bruce tends to be way to loud on the PA system nowadays for me... when he came through Raleigh a few years back, I seriously thought I was going to go deaf from his show...  the sound guys should have been fired for that mess....

I'm officially at the point that I'm swearing off live shows unless it is small venue jazz and I know the setup they are going to use or it is some form of unamplified performance...  the big shows are just too bad sounding and cause me to put ear plugs in my ears or just leave the show early.... seems like a waste of the $300,000 you seemingly have to pay for each ticket and distracts me from enjoying the show itself....

I can't believe how much the above makes me sound like a crotchety old fart...  damn those kids and their infernal music.  Turn it down!!! :) hehehe
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 06:52:31 AM »
Bruce tends to be way to loud on the PA system nowadays for me... when he came through Raleigh a few years back, I seriously thought I was going to go deaf from his show... 

I had the same problem with The Who @ Nassau Coliseum 2 years ago, and I already had earplugs in.  :roll: And yet they sold a DVD of tht very show online,which I picked up for my kids and ths SQ is excellent. SO the mix coming out of the board was spot on, it was just the PA that sucked.

But it can be done. The sound at last years Roger Waters performance of The Wall ay the Coliseum was probably the best I had ever heard at a rock concert, period. Bordered on high end audio type sound. Loud, but clear and detailed with no boominess or distortion. So given the right people and the right attention to detail you can do it.

I find that my best bet with those type of shows now is to seek them out at outdoor venues. They may play loud, but it is not the same as the excess dbs at least have somewhere to leak out to. Been sticking to the Nikon Jones Beach Theater for most of my shows lately.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Putz

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 07:17:56 AM »
I'll be at only 2 shows (for now) for this tour. One at Meadowlands and one at Newark. He announced a Horn Section for the tour which is appropriate since it takes 4 guys to replace the Big Man. Hope they do Kitty's Back. The Conan show where they did that with Horns is awesome. Sorry about the ads. Not on You Tube anymore.

http://www.fridaybrucefix.com/bruce_fix/2009/12/bruce-springsteen-kittys-back-merry-christmas-baby-conan-obrien.html

Usually some good seats will come up on TM right before the show. These are the extra VIP holdbacks they don't use. Hard to find a below cost tic in NJ/NY for an indoor show.

It would be nice to see big name acts in a small non acoustically challenged setting but let's be realistic. He does soundcheck each show and if you have a good seat it will sound good.

Too loud??? It's Bruce live!!!! Is there anybody alive out there?

Offline Putz

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:34:07 PM »
Well The Boss is almost home. Philly the last 2 nites, DC this weekend and than NJ & NY this coming week. I'll be at the 2 NJ shows on Tuesday & Wednesday. Hard to believe it's been 2 1/2 years since MSG

And as much as I love my system, it's still all about the Live sound.

And if Bruce is back then it can only mean one thing:

Kitty's Back - Springsteen - Philadelphia March 29, 2012