Author Topic: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (original lineup)  (Read 2480 times)

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (original lineup)
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:06:06 AM »
This show was Sunday night at the Tennessee Theatre in Knoxville TN.
It was recounted that the very first Bela Fleck and the Flecktones performance was a TV show in Louisville KY and their second show was in Knoxville.
I first saw them at "EllaGuru's" night club in Knoxville's "Old City" (May 9, 1990 is indicated on the old ticket stub).  The night club owner was Ashley Capps who now heads AC Entertainment, which promotes/runs shows all over the southeastern US and also puts on the Bonnaroo music festival in Manchester TN.

The 4 main group members are all consummate, virtuoso musicians, with each a "genre-breaker" on his instrument(s).
They have been and are once again the "tightest" combo I have heard.

Bela Fleck - banjo
Victor Lamont Wooten - electric bass
Roy "Futureman" Wooten - percussion / drumitar

and returning original member
Howard Levy on Steinway & Sons piano and harmonicas.

They played a mix of songs from the first 3 Flecktones albums as well as a few from the latest one "Rocket Science,"
with "spotlight" solos by each player through the course of the evening.

It is a joy to have Howard Levy back in the lineup. His utter mastery of the harmonica was perhaps on best display in his solo rendition of "Amazing Grace."  
(Victor Wooten also has done a wonderful solo Amazing Grace" totally on electric bass in years past).
His piano playing adds something special to the mix as well.

Fiddler Casey Driessen joined in on a few numbers.

Roy "Futureman" Wooten did the vocals on "Sunset Road"
and near the close of the show announced that Bela had been nominated for more Grammys and in more Grammy categories than any other musician and had recently debuted a 35-minute "Banjo Concerto" with the Nashville TN Symphony, and that we would next have a treat of five minutes of Bela solo on acoustic banjo.

The first encore had Bela bringing his wife, Abigail Washburn (who just happened for once to be in the same town) on stage to sing.
Not sure of the actual song title but it seemed to perhaps be a religiously-based one and had "I Sing Because I'm Happy, I Sing Because I'm Free."
[ I wish Abigail and Bela had played a banjo duet together as well, but Abigail went of stage after the one song.]

The closing number was the crowd pleaser "Sinister Minister" started by Victor on bass, with Bela, "Futureman," Howard, and fiddler Casy Driessen all coming in, which had the audience up on their feet and dancing.

Don't miss them if they come your way!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:06:34 PM by rlmacklin »

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
Re: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (original lineup)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 12:51:15 PM »
I did not know they had married...cool! We saw the original Flecktones back in July and Abigail opened for them and performed beautifully. Next up was the Carolina Chocolate Drops and they stormed the place. I've seen Bela and the boys plenty of times over the years but I was truly awed by the Drops' musical stylings...just solid olde tyme Piedmont jug band with a wicked new twist - they had a 'beatboxer'! Adam Matta vocalized every sort of percussion instrument imaginable - he even did a solo...just phenomenal! The crowd was really into the band all through the set.

Then, the Flecktones took the stage and put on a show that I've come to expect - simply great musicians playing great music. They did a lot from their early albums and a few new tunes...just spot on all the way through. Finally, Abigail, her band and the Chocolate Drops joined the fellas and kept the crowd on their feet for the rest of the show. A memorable show on a beautiful summer night.

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Re: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (original lineup)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 06:30:15 AM »
JBryan,

I have seen the Chocolate Drops here a couple times
and they are wonderful -
but I would have loved to see that show
with Bela, the Flecktones, and Abigail and her band
along with the Carolina Chocolate Drops.

Thanks for sharing that!