Author Topic: Tony Rice, Alison Krauss, Jerry Douglas  (Read 4925 times)

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
Tony Rice, Alison Krauss, Jerry Douglas
« on: May 10, 2007, 03:10:29 PM »
Anyone going to this Saturday night (May 12th, at Regency/KokaBooth)?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 03:52:51 PM »
Oh yeah!

Will I see you there? Really looking forward to it. Weather should cooperate too.
Rich

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 10:25:13 AM »
Great concert last night.  We were lucky to have great seats, Row G dead center. The weather was very cooperative. It poured all day until 5 minutes before the show. Then we felt one drop during the last song before the 2 encores. A lot of seats were vacant due to fear of bad weather. Their big loss!

The first thing I noticed (besides how cute she is) was how much like the records the band sounded, even through the PA system. They played the records live and the live show has the same feeling and message, very satisfying. There were the usual live sound issues like the PA fluffing up the bass violin sound, and proximity effect on her voice from using a directional mic. Those things improved as the show continued and once my ear adjusted I found the sound to be incredible for a live concert.  Maybe best I ever heard. The amphitheater has a great sound system for acoustic music anyway.

Her voice was exquisite. My wife Julie said she has a beautiful voice. The feel of the songs was relaxed and confident, making it really easy to slip into the groove with the musicians and feel the spirit of the music. Most of which was very upbeat and happy compared to a some of the deeper songs on records.

The band was loose and good humor joking around a lot and having fun. Musicianship was far beyond anything I can offer for criticism. They are all simply awesome. As a jazz musician, I know what can be done on a guitar. Apart from stylistic differences, these guys have all the chops of any accomplished jazzer. I was surprised at how much technique could be expressed on dobro which to me seems like a very awkward instrument to play fast, but he got it all out. The banjoist Ron White was my favorite, I love the instrument. I would like to have heard more solos from him, and I will looksee if he has some records of his own. I have heard Roy Clark and Steve Martin play solo concerts and it is just so exciting to hear live banjo music.

I have read criticism that Allison is not known for her virtuousity on fiddle, and she didn't do any dazzling showoff work last night either, but she played exactly what was necessary to fill the songs up with love and confidence and had more than her share of solos where she showed off enough to make me wish I could play any instrument as well as her, or with as much ease and confidence. Her improv melodies were like Chet Baker, to the point and jewels of simple inspiring music. I thought her solos were as poignant as her singing.

Jim Symanski (sp?) is the mandolin player and lead singer. This guy was the star in my eyes. His singing is like a lightning bolt to penetrate right through you. It was great to hear him sing. Allison mentioned that he was the voiceover for the singing in George Clooneys singing movie(?). I didn't see it so I didn't know what she was talking about, but the crowd stirred audibly when they heard that... He was really great.

Tony Rice had a strong presence on stage, and his songs that were played in tribute to his long career were very touching. His guitar chops were excellent, but I could feel he was reaching for things that were slightly beyond his grasp now and then. I think he might be slightly behind in his practicing, or just getting older and still reaching for the max. It was great to see and hear him, even though I don't know anything about his career or the important part in bluegrass history he played. The crowd was really whooping it up on his solos.  I was surprised to hear a bluegrass player have such a strong command of sophisticated modern jazz harmony which really impressed upon me his incredible musicianship. He dug into some very deep harmonies in solo lines and chord comping when he was playing by himself. Much more sophisticated harmonic perspective than the rest of the band. He is no doubt a great master. His guitar sound was also very beautiful and penetrating while still gentle. I could easily hear his comping even among 5 other guys playing their hearts out on fast loud romping tunes.

The only song from records that I recognized was "let me touch you for a while". Tony Rice must be on that record too because his part sounded exactly like the record.

The show was great. Really glad we went, and will definitely go again when she comes back.
Tim, did you make it?
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 02:32:14 PM »
Great review, thanks Rich... Wish I could've gone, sounds like a great time... I know Hantra/Brandon was going as well.... A fine AN showing! ;)

I hope to get to a concert like this one day.  As it stands, 'staging' our house is the order of the weekend. :(  Hope it sells fast so I can join you on some of these great shows.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Hantra

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 01:27:18 PM »
Funny you say that Rich.  That's one thing I noticed too.  I have never really met many people that are hotter in person than on a photo or TV.  I was actually row G too but off to the left.  What a fantastic sounding show that was!  I am absolutely going back to that amphitheater.  I'd like to see Jerry Douglas there with his band sometime.  

I thought the show was a very fitting tribute to the legendary Mr. Rice.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:04:40 AM »
Yeah, me too. He was a great entertainer, and I constantly had the feeling I was hearing a real legend even though I know jack diddly about folk/bluegrass music. It didn't matter.

The Koka Booth Amphitheater is a nice place. We go to Summerfest concerts for the symphony there through the summer. It is nice because it is unreserved seating for those concerts, so we bring some lawn chairs and sit right up front. The kids sit on a blanket and can fidget and talk, dance and whine all they want and we don't feel anxious like in a concert hall. July 4th concert was excellent last year. Typical July 4th show with 1812/Fireworks, etc but the symphony is rated top 20 in the country now with the new conductor Grant Llewellyn and they are fantastic. And it is sponsored by Town of Cary so admission is free for that one.
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 12:30:23 PM »
Quote from: "richidoo"
The Koka Booth Amphitheater is a nice place. ...... with the new conductor Grant Llewellyn and they are fantastic. And it is sponsored by Town of Cary so admission is free for that one.
Rich

Cool, I like the Koka.. that's where they have the wine festival, also... very cozy and fun place...

BTW, is that new conductor related to Doug Llewellyn?
(imagine bongos and "This is the case of the.... ") :lol:
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 01:07:16 PM »
Yes, they are definitely related.  :wink:  Can you see the resemblance?

Grant Llewellyn