Author Topic: Alison Krauss and Union Station  (Read 2111 times)

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Alison Krauss and Union Station
« on: September 27, 2011, 08:37:55 AM »
Alison Krauss and Union Station finished their tour Sunday night at the Tennessee Theatre in Knoxville TN.

They played several songs from the current album "Paper Airplane," interspersed with many of the group's well known songs.  Some highlights for me were "Just a Ghost in This House" and "When You say Nothing At All."

Alison's singing may be more well known than her fiddle playing these days but both were outstanding in this concert.
The band is excellent as well, featuring the superb Jerry Douglas on dobro and occasional pedal steel guitar, Dan Tyminski (the voice of "Man of Constant Sorrow" in the film "O Brother Where Art Thou?") on guitar and mandolin and lead vocals, Barry Bales on stand up bass, and Ron Block on banjo, guitar, vocals, etc.
Two new band members were introduced (both from Kentucky) - John Deadrick (spelling?) on piano and Josh Hunt on drums/percussion.

They played in a normal stage arrangement for most of the concert and appeared to be saying their goodbyes to the crowd, with stagehands even removing some of the microphones from the stands as the band walked offstage.

But Alison, Dan, Jerry and/or Barry, and Ron Block came back out on stage and did several more numbers in the old radio style with a single omnidirectional microphone, unplugged acoustic instruments and choreographed moves to let the particular performer or combination to be nearest the mike for singing/playing solo, etc.
A wonderful touch to close out the show.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Alison Krauss and Union Station
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:17:53 PM »
Nice!  I was at a recent Norah Jones concert where they performed their encore in the same fashion.   It sounded wonderful!

Never have seen Alison Krauss live but it's definitely on my bucket list!