Author Topic: Crosby, Stills & Nash  (Read 4493 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Crosby, Stills & Nash
« on: August 21, 2010, 05:04:50 PM »
Went to see CSN @ Jones Beach last night. The sound quality blew me away. It had to be one if not the best sounding outdoor shows I have ever been to. Acoustic guitars amplified over a stadium PA system that sounded just like acoustic guitars. AT one point they played a a bass solo that just amazed me. It was clean and so real sounding without the usual bloated over-EQed sound. An audiophile outdoor concert, what a treat.

Musically it was a great show as well. Steven Stills is starting to slip a bit vocally, but David Crosby and Graham Nash are still right there (of course with all the time he has spent in rehab over the years, Crosby's voice should be well rested  :lol:)

One of the highlights of the show, I thought, was a set of cover songs that David Crosby introduced as "songs we wish we had written." They played Norwegian Wood, Midnight Rider, Girl from the North Country,Ruby Tuesday and Behind Blue Eyes. All were very well done and they hinted that there might be a whole album of cover songs in the works. I am looking forward to that.

By the way, we were talking to some of the folks that worked there and they said that the Meatloaf show a few weeks ago was embarrassingly bad.  :(
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:07:44 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

Re: Crosby, Stills & Nash
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:07:52 PM »
might be a whole album of cover songs in the works. I am looking forward to that.

Sounds interesting  aa

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:11:41 PM »

Steven Stills is starting to slip a bit vocally

Stills' voice was never his strong point, but he could/can sure make an acoustic guitar SING!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 07:56:41 PM »
Stills' voice was never his strong point, but he could/can sure make an acoustic guitar SING!

Interestingly enough, Stills played a lot more electric than acoustic guitar last night.  As far as his vocals are concerned... they aren't slipping, they're (sorry to say) practically gone!  If Crosby had 95% of his vocals and Nash had 90% of his, I don't think Stills had 30% of his.  Too bad, because other than that it was great show!

The cover tunes were fun, although it's kind of strange to hear CS&N cover the Stones or the Who.  BTW - Stills imitation of the Townsend "windmill" on guitar was even sadder than his vocals!  Very weak.  :-(   For me, I think the Beatles, Allman Bros. & Dylan covers came across as more believable style-wise.  I guess those songs just fit CS&N's acoustic guitar vibe better?

Nash & Crosby's vocals, especially when harmonizing together were great.  I thought Guinnevere as a duet was incredible.  (It happens to also be a personal favorite of mine.) Then again, I love all of their stuff.  To me, their whole catalog is almost like a greatest hits.  I would definitely go see them again.  Too much great music to pass up hearing again!

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 08:22:48 PM »
BTW - Stills imitation of the Townsend "windmill" on guitar was even sadder than his vocals!  Very weak.  :-(   

At his age he probably would have torn a rotor cuff if he tried.  :roll:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 10:11:25 PM »
I saw them back in 1996 at Jones Beach at the SQ was Dreadful! They opened up for Chicago and the SQ was awesome.

Went to see CSN @ Jones Beach last night. The sound quality blew me away. It had to be one if not the best sounding outdoor shows I have ever been to. Acoustic guitars amplified over a stadium PA system that sounded just like acoustic guitars. AT one point they played a a bass solo that just amazed me. It was clean and so real sounding without the usual bloated over-EQed sound. An audiophile outdoor concert, what a treat.

Musically it was a great show as well. Steven Stills is starting to slip a bit vocally, but David Crosby and Graham Nash are still right there (of course with all the time he has spent in rehab over the years, Crosby's voice should be well rested  :lol:)

One of the highlights of the show, I thought, was a set of cover songs that David Crosby introduced as "songs we wish we had written." They played Norwegian Wood, Midnight Rider, Girl from the North Country,Ruby Tuesday and Behind Blue Eyes. All were very well done and they hinted that there might be a whole album of cover songs in the works. I am looking forward to that.

By the way, we were talking to some of the folks that worked there and they said that the Meatloaf show a few weeks ago was embarrassingly bad.  :(

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:51:12 AM »
Interesting, I went to the Hot August Blues & Roots fest here in Baltimore yesterday and the SQ on the 1st 3 acts was really nice - especially Keb' Mo (alone on stage with just a few guitars...outstanding show and the sound was pristine). Unfortunately, I think the PAs couldn't handle Lyle Lovett and his Large Band. Too many instruments playing through too few speakers sounded quite compressed. The issue was easily resolved when we made our way to the front of the stage and listened to the instruments themselves...I just love these small festivals.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 01:07:21 PM »
CSN @ Jones Beach....YouTube.... :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBHwgPzh6JY&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d7FnBpGg5Y

A few days ago....hey...I know these guys... :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mct6yG-4QRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeoV7gFFko4

**** And one reason to never sit in the front rows....
Listen to the sound quality....you mainly hear Joe Perry's guitar....not the complete sound. :duh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B63dpanXr7c&feature=related
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 01:15:15 PM by lonewolfny42 »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »
Perry must have a monitor mix in his ears to hear the rest of the band. He has such a beautiful sound.  Thanks Chris, I dug that clip.  I was waiting for Tyler to fall off the stage...  wrong youtube...

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 05:24:23 PM »
Perry must have a monitor mix in his ears to hear the rest of the band.

Yes....most do now.....but my point was the sound for someone in the front rows....the top dollar tickets...buy the "cheaper one's", and sit farther back for better sound. :D

I was waiting for Tyler to fall off the stage...  wrong youtube...

Yeah....I saw that one....during "Love In An Elevator"......  :duh

...at 4:28 ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1wGhtOhH2k

and - a close up view..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RidMcqObbho

Another day....another fall .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uXRTWuk3XM  the one where he got hurt.
He lost his balance on the spin....he's not "young Stevie" no more.

Better get him a "walker"..... :rofl:

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 06:40:11 AM »
Saw CS&N at Jones Beach last year and Stills voice held out for the first 3-4 songs. Then he was a croaking frog for the rest of the night. The soundman turned him down after that. He was more out of tune than Neil Young back in the day  :-P

That "melange" of other people's tunes must have been awesome.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 06:34:17 PM »
Saw CS&N at Jones Beach last year and Stills voice held out for the first 3-4 songs. Then he was a croaking frog for the rest of the night. The soundman turned him down after that. He was more out of tune than Neil Young back in the day  :-P

That "melange" of other people's tunes must have been awesome.

Pretty much the same thing happened this year. But while he may have been croaking, he sure made up for it with the way he made those guitars sing. :thumb:

One thing I forgot to mention before that did become quite annoying, I don't know why , but they had no spot light operators for this show. There were fixed key lights pointed at each of the microphone positions. but evertime anyone wandered more than 3 - 5 feet away from a mic they were standing in the dark. And not only was it tough to see by eye, but there was very often not enough light for the video cameras to generate any kind of useable picture on the jumbotron . SO there were a number of really great solos that you could hear but had absolutely on visual on.  :(
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:41:31 PM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9