Author Topic: Yes  (Read 3629 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Yes
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:15:08 PM »
Went to see Yes at Jones Beach tonight. The current lineup features Yes veterans Steve Howe and Chris Squire along with drummer Alan White. Keyboard duties were amply handled by Oliver Wakeman, who obviously inherited the family music genes from his father. While Jon Anderson has still not returned to touring with the group after his respiratory problems on '08, the lead vocals were provided by Benoit David who did an admirable job of replicating the Anderson sound.

While Howe and Squire may look like they are ready for a retirement village that can both still play up a storm. Squire did a bass solo during the encore that literally rocked the stadium. It is hard to imagine a poured concrete stadium vibrating and resonating, but it did.

While the banter in between songs was a bit tough to understand, once the music started to play the sound was first rate. The lighting and video were well done and not to the point where they became distracting.

After all these years, they've still got it. See this one if you can.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
Re: Yes
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:33:58 PM »
Yes without Jon Anderson is not Yes. Oliver hopefully has the ability to play like his Dad who is a superb musician.

How was the SQ?

Went to see Yes at Jones Beach tonight. The current lineup features Yes veterans Steve Howe and Chris Squire along with drummer Alan White. Keyboard duties were amply handled by Oliver Wakeman, who obviously inherited the family music genes from his father. While Jon Anderson has still not returned to touring with the group after his respiratory problems on '08, the lead vocals were provided by Benoit David who did an admirable job of replicating the Anderson sound.

While Howe and Squire may look like they are ready for a retirement village that can both still play up a storm. Squire did a bass solo during the encore that literally rocked the stadium. It is hard to imagine a poured concrete stadium vibrating and resonating, but it did.

While the banter in between songs was a bit tough to understand, once the music started to play the sound was first rate. The lighting and video were well done and not to the point where they became distracting.

After all these years, they've still got it. See this one if you can.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »
LK

Believe it or not, Benoit David was an admirable replacement for Jon Anderson vocally.  Oliver certainly has his old man's genes, because his performance was also really, really good.  It was a very enjoyable show.

Who/what is SQ?

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 04:49:24 PM »
Paul, I have to tell you, I didn't realize that it was not Jon Anderson until I looked up the band members for the current tour on the internet when I got home. The vocals were really that close. And the only reason I looked as because when looking at the keyboard player on the Jumbotron, Bill and I both sat there and said well it looks kind of like Wakeman but he looked a lot thinner than Rick did on the DVD I have of a concert from2 or 3 years ago., so I went to look it up. If not for that I never would have looked and would have been fooled into assuming it was Jon Anderson. Granted I was only a casual Yes fan back in the day so I wouldn't consider myself an expert on their sound but the replacement was certainly good enough for an outdoor concert.

I only wish Ian Anderson would the same for the Tull concerts and consider getting another artist to cover his vocals and stick to what he still does extremely well (instrumentals and stage antics.)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 11:48:08 PM »
SQ = Sound Quality

LK

Believe it or not, Benoit David was an admirable replacement for Jon Anderson vocally.  Oliver certainly has his old man's genes, because his performance was also really, really good.  It was a very enjoyable show.

Who/what is SQ?

SN

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:26:18 AM »
SQ = Sound Quality

I thought the SQ for Yes was really good for an outdoor stadium show. Interestingly though the sound for Perter Frampton was a bit on the weak side. It was the same thing with the sound fro Procol Harum vs Jethro Tull. I am beginning to wonder if they use the same sound system for the warm-up band as they do for the main act. I'll be interested to see what happens next week with Chicago and the Doobie Brothers where you essentially have 2 headliners.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 07:16:16 AM »
It's a pretty well known fact that they crap up the sound for the warm up bands so that the main act sounds better right off the bat. Happens at all shows.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 08:21:30 AM »
It's a pretty well known fact that they crap up the sound for the warm up bands so that the main act sounds better right off the bat. Happens at all shows.

Maybe my standards are just getting higher, but I don't remember as drastic a difference in past years.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9