Author Topic: Who sleeps at the symphony?  (Read 5336 times)

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Who sleeps at the symphony?
« on: January 23, 2010, 08:42:10 PM »
My wife does.  EVERY single one.  I've never seen her make it past 8:30 for an 8pm show.  Tonight was no different, she had her head propped up by her hand by 8:10pm.....  AND the performance was excellent at usual.  WV Symphony doing Mozart violin concerto w/ Corey Cerovsek the featured soloist.  Kick @ss!   Also, they played Dvorak Symphony No.8  and Vaughn Williams' Fantasia theme on Thomas Tallis.   worst part was when my wife  uttered some sleep talking, which I quickly tried to cover up by wispering back at her.   :shock:

I'm sure she would have rather attended the Rascal Flats/ Darius Rucker show instead.  Good thing she wasn't paying attention to the entertainment guide.  I love her anyway.... :)

Rob S.

No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

lonewolfny42

Re: Who sleeps at the symphony?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:55:14 AM »
Bet she wasn't the only one Rob.... :thumb:

See.....

................ :rofl:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 03:37:16 AM »
It must have been the Vaughn Williams piece that did her in :rofl:

Consider it a luxury few can afford, to have a full blown orchestra lull you to sleep!

I used to listen to Lark Ascending late at night with my headphones, I always woke up in the morning in my bed with the phones on! Beautiful piece. It just takes you away, like anaeasthesia.

mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 05:54:28 AM »
My wife usually falls asleep at the symphony too, she says it's because it's so boring when they play Haydn and Mozart blablabla. Friday we had  a new conductor who picked some more interesting stuff Liszt, Mahler, Dvorak so at the end my wife said "I didn't even fall asleep so it MUST have been good!"   :rofl: 

Ours also played Dvorak 8th! Hard to sleep through that unless you have a headstart from Thomas Tallis.

I like to get sleepy listening to Shubert Piano Sonatas.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 06:19:38 AM »
I have to admit the last time I saw the South Carolina Philharmonic (don't laugh...they are credible) play, I nodded off too.  It had nothing to do with the performance or the piece, (they were playing a daring modern piece from a daring modern Polish composer).  It seems that I have trouble staying awake when sitting in one place listening to music for an extended period of time.  It happens at home listening to the hifi, too.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 04:12:35 PM »
You won't fall asleep at this symphony concert:     :thumb:

Ben Folds, March 25, w/NC Symphony.      :wtf:

http://ncsymphony.org/events/index.cfm?view=details&viewref=calendar&detailid=796&eid=1298

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »
Guys,
I just picked up a collection of at least 1500 classical records,,massive. Part of a 7000 record collection.
I am just storing it for a friend with the agreement that I can listen to them!!
Started making little piles, sorting them by composer, I quickly ran out of floor space, I need a warehouse!!

It is a bit crazy, but wonderful.  Sooo much music it boggles the mind.

More music than I can play in my life ...probably  :?

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 04:34:14 PM »
That's cool Mike! 1500, I can't imagine how big that is.   I have a couple classical records, Bernstein conducting Tchaikovsky and Bach, from 70s hand me down LPs. Scratched to hell, not worth listening to.  Never heard a good classical recording on vinyl. But I prefer LP for jazz.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 06:05:04 PM »
That Ben Folds should be pretty good but I don't know.. I will try to make it.  I have only been to the symphony once and I snoozed through a good part of it.  I was in the 'nose bleeds' and took a date in high school.. not sure if that 'counts'. ;)  I generally listen to large ensembles at outdoor concerts.  That's where I've gone to enjoy music in my adult life.. I've attended very few enclosed concerts by comparison.  If I have to just sit and watch any 1 thing for too long, it would need to be wildly fluctuating to draw me into it... and keep me into it.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »
Isn't Ben Folds wildly fluctuating? ADD?

It won't be a real symphony concert with him there. The Ben Folds fans will make that impossible. ;) And the symphony will make a real Ben Folds concert impossible. It will be classical/rock Pops concert, like lawrence welk version of a real Ben Folds concert. Usually they do Fletwood Mac or steppenwolf meets the pops.  The conductor is a new young chick from hawaii. She seems pretty hip, and is permanent assistant conductor or something. So she may be trying to liven things up at the oldie moldie concert hall. Scare the hell out of some of those stinky old blue hair grammas.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:04:07 PM »
....Never heard a good classical recording on vinyl.

Rich,

Stop over anytime. I have some classical vinyl that will bring a tear to your eye.

(Yeah, like it is just a hop skip and a jump around the corner.   :duh   But if you are ever in the NYC area the invitation is always open  :beer:)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 05:43:26 AM »
I brought my wife to NYC to the symphony once. She will never go back. We had some very rich food beforehand, which put her in the bathroom for part of the night, but before that she managed to let out a fairly loud "snarf" at her seat that woke up some of the other people around her.

Makes for a funny family story whenever she tells it.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

djdube525

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 08:23:42 AM »
You won't fall asleep at this symphony concert:     :thumb:

Ben Folds, March 25, w/NC Symphony.      :wtf:

http://ncsymphony.org/events/index.cfm?view=details&viewref=calendar&detailid=796&eid=1298

That's with the new conductor correct?

Something like this would be great at Koka Booth... when it's warmer. Picnic, wine... would be a good show.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 10:08:02 AM »

Sarah Hicks is the new associate conductor (3rd in rank). She is very, very good.  A big improvement over the previous associate, even better than music director if you ask me.

I agree the rock concert pops would be nice out in the sun.