Author Topic: Maria Schneider at Birdland  (Read 6319 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Maria Schneider at Birdland
« on: January 09, 2010, 09:10:13 AM »

One of the only remaining big bands writing new relevant music. Maria Schneider is a disciple of the late Gil Evans. The band members are some of the best jazz players in the world.  

Playing one set only at Birdland, January 11, 7pm, at 315 West 44th Street (between 8th and 9th Avenues. Call 212-581-3080 for reservations. 

She's appearing at Duke University 4/10/10, 8pm to premier a quartet commissioned by Kronos Quartet. She will not play, but the piece will be interesting I can guarantee that. Carl you will love this one, it's right up your alley...  :-P    Check out the video of Kronos at the bottom of this concert webpage.
http://dukeperformances.duke.edu/series/this-house-on-fire/kronos

I recommend her album Concert in the Garden, but I have all of them, they're all good, but that one especially.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:13:46 AM by richidoo »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Maria Schneider at Birdland
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 05:54:06 PM »
I have it on my calendar.. you are right! Can't wait to go! :)
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 06:07:08 PM »
Really?  Did you watch that video? 

I guess if you go, I'll have to go too....  I just hope they don't start singing. I hate when that happens.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 06:56:24 PM »
When I last responded, I'd only read about their approach to the music.. I got very excited reading their creative process for music.  I then watched their mini-documentary and how they worked together with an Inuet throat singer.. aweome, incredible creative process.  

THEN I listened to the clip in your link.. wow, so they play violins to sound like a sitar? What?!  And it's sort of a cover song... not really an original piece.  Then it gets choppy and weird... I don't know if I could sit through much of it.  It's all hard violin plucks/pulls/whatever.. seems like they could've dealt with 1 violin and let another instrument have a voice.  

I watched all I could find of Kronos because I wanted to love them.. as I feel strongly that they're making music the right way.. it's from the heart and with some talent.  But so far I just can't make it work for me.  sigh.  It is musical art, just not my taste.  Also, I did hear technical mistakes.. and they sound like they overshoot/overstate what they're trying to communicate.  The violins and vocals also compete with each other musically.  Basically, I think they're trying too hard... and kind of miss the music making part of it.  It doesn't tell a story.. unless the story is about lunatics running through hallways with pots and pans tied to their legs and arms while screaming. ;)

So, they're not *really* on my calendar anymore.. But thanks for letting me know there are folks out there trying.  Go Kronos, go. 8)

-C
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:57:55 PM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 07:06:49 PM »
You got it. Now imagine attending at DUKE where you can't even boo.
Pots and pans sell, big time... and the govt grants flow like wine.

On the bright side, Maria Schneider's piece will be real music, probably pretty good. Her recorded music is not as vapid as that video, but still kinda etheric. I think we should go anyway and then hear some amateur punk rock on 9th street after.

Offline laserman

• Seeking Help
  • Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 01:35:34 PM »
I think you should go too, because if I lived on the east side of PA I would be going.  Maria is a wonder arranger/composer and I have seen her perform live twice.  She is very open to meeting folks and sharing her musical experiences.  I have all of her recordings and IMO she sets the standard for modern big band jazz.

Have fun and see if you can talk Topround, his friend Gary, and Lonewolf, in attending with you guys for the 11th gig.

Happy listening,
Lou

A musically satisfying system is 50% the components and 50% you.  Until you have a handle on your own "inner sensibilities to sound and music," you are only dealing with half of the equation.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 01:55:55 PM »
Gosh I wish I could make the NY gig. We're joking about the Feb gig in NC where she won't be playing, just shmoozing. Her website does list her big band gigs on tour around the country, but I haven't checked it in a while, not sure how busy she is.

The albums are audiophile quality, with very interesting sounds and inspiring music if you like modern jazz in big band style. Always great musicians.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 03:03:04 PM »
Carl-

I feel the same way as you do about Kronos.  I want to like them, but their music misses the mark with me. I, too, like their approach, but they tend to over-think.  Plus, whenever I hear them, the message I get is "We are smarter than you."  It may be true, but I don't need to be reminded of that when I listen to music. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 03:03:26 PM »
Maria Schneider big band is premiering her latest ArtistShare commissioned composition called 'Lembrana' at Birdland, July 20-24, 2010.  The piece will be premiered on 20th in first set. Email her to find out which set it will play on the other nights. mariaschneider@artistshare.com   She will record it later in the year.

Birdland is located at 315 West 44th Street. Call 212-581-3080 for reservations, or go to BirdlandJazz.com.

Watch video about last year's project.