Author Topic: John Pizarelli Friday 9/4  (Read 2555 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
John Pizarelli Friday 9/4
« on: September 02, 2009, 07:54:36 AM »
It's an outdoor show out at Peconic Bay winery on the east end of Long Island. My wife and I are going with another couple. We plan on heading out to Port Jefferson early in the day and perusing some art galleries, then an early dinner/late lunch at one of the great seafood restaurants there before we drive farther east to the winery for the show. There's definitely a bottle or two in my future during the show.

Should be a great start to the Labor Day weekend.

http://www.peconicbaywinery.com/sitecontent.cfm?page=happenings&sp=localevents&eventID=307
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: John Pizarelli Friday 9/4
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 06:15:29 AM »
Saw John Pizzarelli and his quartet at Peconic Bay winery this past Friday night. I took the day off and my wife and I spent the day walking through a little seaside town on the east end of Long Island. We bought some art and had a nice freshly caught flounder dinner.

Then we drove to the show, had a few glasses of wine with some friends who joined us for the event. The show was very pleasant and reminiscent of what I would expect back in the 40's and 50's of a guitar playing crooner. Lots of old tome songs and some interesting stories to go along with them. All in all, very pleasant.

The show was outside on the vinyard lawn and the evening was perfect. A beautiful sunset and an amazing full moon to light everything up with just a light breeze to keep away any mosquitos.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 06:52:41 AM »
Sounds like a great memory in the making.  He usually has a great band with him when visiting NC, I bet proximity to NY made it even easier to bring along a nice group. Was it a lady bassist?

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 10:15:31 AM »
No, his younger brother played bass.

One funny story I remember him telling was when he introduced the band. He said the drummer played with almost everyone. He even played a few gigs on the Borsht circuit with one of those old time Jewish comics. He begged him to play a bit from that tour, and ... you got it ... "badum-bum-crash" issued forth.

I guess you had to be there.