Author Topic: Bela Fleck: The Africa Project Tour, etc.  (Read 2956 times)

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Bela Fleck: The Africa Project Tour, etc.
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:31:25 AM »
from AC Entertainment LiveWire e-mail:

Bela Fleck: The Africa Project Tour 
Banjo guru Bela Fleck brings the phenomenal African musicians he collaborated with for the award-winning documentary Throw Down Your Heart to the Tennessee Theatre on Friday, April 3. Visit ThrowDownYourHeart.com for more details about the film and to hear some of the extraordinary and jubilant music played by Bela and his cohorts. The tour features the stellar players Toumani Diabate, D'Gary, Vusi Mahlasela and Anania Ngoliga. Tickets go on sale today at 10 a.m. via the Tennessee Theatre box office, all Tickets Unlimited outlets, by phone at 865-656-4444 or online by clicking here."

I called right before 10 AM and got front row center seating (there a few closer added rows of folding chair seating in the "pit," but can't see as well and worse for soundfield!)

from     www.belafleck.com

"Africa:

The album is coming out in late Feb or early March on Rounder Records.

Throw Down Your Heart
Tales From The Acoustic Planet, Vol 3: Africa Sessions

I am thrilled with the final version of the CD and look forward to getting it out, finally. It has been since 2004 that this has been in the works, so it's gonna feel great to release it. It is the most ambitious project I have taken on, filming and recording in Mali, The Gambia, Uganda and Tanzania. The musicians are spectacular, I think you're gonna dig this one.

The tour is coming together. The first run in March and April is set and tickets already on sale in some locations. Tour Dates are here....!

The artists are:

Toumani Diabate - the kora master from Mali
Vusi Mahlesela - guitarist, vocalist from South Africa
D'Gary - guitarist, vocalist from Madagascar
Anania Ngoglia - thumb pianist, vocalist from Tanzania

We are working on the summer tour which will be in June and July.

The film, Throw Down Your Heart, has been at film festivals only so far, but we are looking at a theatrical release in certain cities starting in March.

Check out the site for details and a trailer and some music. You have to dig around a bit, but it is fun. Click on trees and and other areas and cool things will emerge!

The DVD will come out after that."

"Béla Fleck with Toumani Diabate

Date Venue Location
3/19-22/09 Yoshi's Oakland, CA
3/23/09 Opera House Napa, CA
6/12/09 Bonnaroo Music Festival Manchester, TN
6/19/09 Telluride Music Festival Telluride, CO "

[Bela Fleck] "The Africa Project   Collaborations with Amazing African Musicians

Date Venue Location
3/26/09 The Colonial Theater Pittsfield, MA
3/27/09 Playhouse Ridgefield, CT
3/28/09 R.P.I. Troy, NY
3/29/09 Music Hall Tarrytown, NY
3/30/09 Berks Jazz Festival Reading, PA
4/1/09 Shelton Concert Hall St. Louis, MO
4/2/09 Uptown Theater Kansas City, MO
4/3/09 Tennessee Theater Knoxville, TN
4/4/09 Music Festival Savannah, GA
4/5/09 University of Florida Gainesville, FL
4/7/09 Duke University Durham, NC
4/8/09 Ryman Auditorium Nashville, TN
4/9/09 State Theater
w/ Toumani Diabate, D'Gary, & Anania Ngoglia Fall Church, VA
4/10/09 University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, PA
4/11/09 Zeiterion Theater New Bedford, MA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Re: Bela Fleck: The Africa Project Tour, etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 06:10:25 PM »
Attended the Knoxille show at the Tennessee Theatre last night and it was superb.

Go to this one if you have the chance!   :D

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 05:41:38 AM »
He'll be at Duke University in 2 days... I would like to see ol' Bela.. but I only like a little bit of his music.. not sure I can handle a whole concert's worth..
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 09:17:54 AM »
The African performers on this project are excellent and mostly Bela accompanies them for perhaps one quarter to one third of the songs/tunes.  Each African artist/act (after introduction by Bela) plays 2-3 tunes on their own before Bela joins them for one or two before the next African artist is introduced...
so less Bela and more African music (and history as banjo originated in Africa).  And of course the semi-obligatory "all together" finale and encore...

I highly recommend the show.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 04:34:29 PM »
Definitely very interesting.. I checked out the tracks here: http://www.amazon.com/Throw-Heart-Tales-Acoustic-Planet/dp/B001PXYHDW

I like most of the slower grooves.. very cool.
I really enjoy listening to music.