Author Topic: The Duhks...speaking of Bela Fleck  (Read 2134 times)

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
The Duhks...speaking of Bela Fleck
« on: April 17, 2009, 08:51:07 AM »
Saw the Duhks on a whim at the Grey Eagle in Asheville...outstanding.

The Duhks are a five piece band featuring banjo playing, Bela Fleck protoge Leonard Podolak, lead singer Sarag Dugas and her brother, percussionist Christian Dugas, along with violinist Tania Elizabetha nd guitarist Jordan McConnnell.  They play and eclectic mix of music that touches on folk, jazz, zydeco, juju, with afro cuban and bossa nova tossed in for good measure.  Despite the odd combination of styles, they present a coherent, rhythmic, engaging and completely accessible and enjoyable performance.

Based on the list of recommended shows in this forum (Dave Matthews, Bela Fleck, Widespread Panic, Jackson Browne) it is very clear that the Duhks are right up Nervosans' alley.

I went to the show with my two teenage daughters whose tastes are disparate and all three of us were completely impressed.

Drummer Christian Dugas is amongst the best I've ever seen (I'm old..I've seen an awful lot of great drummers).

While the band plays primarily acoustic instrumnets, the show was amplified.  The sound quality was as clean as the musical performance.  Not only is the group careful about how they play, but how the sound as well.

The Duhks will perform in Richmond VA tomorrow, April 18, Virgiinia Beach, VA Wednesday and Wilkesboro, NC next Friday.

Visit their site: www.duhks.com

Better yet...see the show.