Author Topic: 2 Skinnee J's  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
2 Skinnee J's
« on: August 07, 2008, 03:14:48 PM »
I'm going to try to go to a sold out show of 2 Skinnee J's tonight... we'll see how it goes...
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: 2 Skinnee J's
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 06:06:02 PM »

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:25:50 AM »
Hey, how was this?  I like their "Planet" song on the website.  I love good rap/hip-hop but I'm pretty much out of the loop on what's new.  A few of my personal highlights are Tribe, De La Soul, Automator, MF Doom.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:46:10 AM by miklorsmith »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:33:37 AM »
In a nutshell... It was great! :) :) 
2 Skinnee J's kind of reminded me of a mix of De La Soul and Beastie Boys...
I heard 'Pluto is a Planet' on Youtube which 'sealed the deal' on my attendance.  It was my favorite song of what I'd heard, and they opened with it!  This was a reunion tour for 2SJ's.  I got the impression these guys are the Devo of hip-hop.  They put on a really good show, lots of energy... Great costumes, light show, etc.

They have very interesting lyrics and have a lot of thought-provoking things to say.  It's like rapping a discussion one would have while in an altered state.  There were several people on stage, not everyone played an instrument... but they all had a job to do.  Every once in a while glowing balls, sticks, or other fun toys were launched into the audience.. and it was fun to watch it all from the balcony where we were.

We got there a little late and caught a few songs by the opening band, doing Beegees metal covers.  That was kind of weird.. and to my surprise pretty good.  The drummer was on fire... Excellent sound, perfect timing, just a great sound with talent behind it.  That alone was fun to hear.. some of the guitar licks were excellent also.  Other than that they were just trying too hard to be tranny/glammy/look-at-me.. I'm not into the Beegees, either so, hearing the songs wiped out the rockedness goodness at times... but some of the solos made the night quite memorable.  If I were forming a band I'd pick 2 members and get them in a band that could rock out for real.

Well, that's what I know... This is my 2nd trip to 'Lincoln Theater' in 2 weeks.  The first was a band called 'Wolf Parade'.. which is very similar to Modest Mouse... and sort of emo-like.  Not as high energy by any means... This was a 180 in musical delivery.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

bluisana

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »
2 Skinny delivers the goods in concert.  That was the 4th time I have seen them and they are always great live.  If you like the trip hop cross over thing supermacado is an absolute must have album.  They have some earlier stuff that wasn't officially released under a label that is very good also.  I lost interest in them about 5-6 years ago so I can't give much input on the newest album.