Author Topic: PAM8610 Amp Board humming  (Read 3760 times)

Offline lilbud

PAM8610 Amp Board humming
« on: December 21, 2019, 07:51:53 AM »
Hello,

I recently bought a PAM8610 amplifier board for use in a project (using old car speakers for an arcade cabinet). But I've run into a problem recently.

No matter what I do, I always get a humming/static-y noise from the speakers. Even if no aux is connected to the board. I currently use a 12v 3a power supply, but I've tried up to 15v 4a and I still get the static noise. What would be the best way to remove the extra noise?  I can post pics of set-up if needed.

Thanks in advance

Offline Guy 13

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Audio should be simple !
PAM8610 Amp Board humming
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 03:04:32 PM »
Hello,

I recently bought a PAM8610 amplifier board for use in a project (using old car speakers for an arcade cabinet). But I've run into a problem recently.

No matter what I do, I always get a humming/static-y noise from the speakers. Even if no aux is connected to the board. I currently use a 12v 3a power supply, but I've tried up to 15v 4a and I still get the static noise. What would be the best way to remove the extra noise?  I can post pics of set-up if needed.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Audio Nervosa lilbud.
I can't help you, but I am sure some more knowledgeable than me members
will gladly jump in to help you trying to solve your problem.

Guy 13
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: PAM8610 Amp Board humming
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 03:24:59 PM »
oops, double post. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 03:27:14 PM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 03:26:06 PM »

Hello,

Thanks in advance

This sounds like something right up member Folsom's alley.  He should be along later to comment.  And welcome to Audio Nervosa.
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »
Are the speakers tied to the amp grounded at the chassis at any point?  The amp has balanced outputs, so the speakers cannot be grounded to the chassis.

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 06:32:57 PM »
Hello,

Thanks in advance

How loud is the static noise?

What about with the inputs shorted?

Pics are nice.

Offline lilbud

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 07:58:27 PM »
Thanks for warm welcomes everyone!

HAL, I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean, (I'm new to audio tech and amps and the like). Could you explain this a little simpler?

Folsom, static noise is tied to the volume of the output (the board has a built in volume knob). So the noise can get really loud at points, even audible over the media being played. Plus, it's just annoying to hear even with nothing connected or playing.

I could just leave the output volume quiet, But I intend to have the volume knob functional in my cabinet, so I'd need a better solution.

Not sure what shorting the inputs is.

Some pictures (I know conditions aren't ideal, but the noise persists no matter where I set it up)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrqDnBBbzgttW2EV9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tRLWABgYPvXhGp5S8

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 08:28:06 PM »
If you use an ohm meter, check the ground side of the speakers to see if it is connected to the car chassis.  The amp will not work correctly if one side of the speaker connection is tied to the chassis.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 08:44:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline lilbud

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 08:50:02 PM »
If you use an ohm meter, check the ground side of the speakers to see if it is connected to the car chassis.  The amp will not work correctly if one side of the speaker connection is tied to the chassis.

I'm not using this for a car, I'm using the board and speakers in a wooden arcade cabinet. The speakers are old car speakers I believe, but this whole setup will not be going in a car.

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 06:22:07 AM »
From the pictures it looks like as long as the 12V power supply is quiet (a picture of the power supply might help), the amp looks correctly wired from the Parts-Express webpage. 

I would suggest contacting the place that sold it to you.  It should work without any problems as long as the stereo input is wired correctly and power supply is clean.  You would need an O'scope or meter with scope function to look at the signals to determine what is going on.   

Might just be a bad board, unless you have tried a second unit.

Offline lilbud

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 07:00:05 AM »
Hal

This problem happened with the first board I bought. That board shorted out and wouldn't start up. So I got a replacement.

Truth is, this humming happened with first amp I bought (MAX 98306). But I no longer use that, so it's none of my concern.

I believe the humming to be a problem with the design of the amp itself.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 07:42:05 AM »
Honestly, is it worth fixing?  For less than the price of a hamburger, get a TDA7297 amp.  They sound better and are still dirt cheap.  Dozens available at Ebay for under $7.   There can be audiophile quality with a simple parts upgrade. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline lilbud

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 08:16:05 AM »
I'd like to fix it if possible, I'll keep the TDA7297 in mind for a future project. The few I see don't have a power input, rather a split + & - wire input, which would mean damaging an existing power cable.

If there is a way to fix the current amp, that'd be great. It works with my cabinet right now and I kinda have the front designed to fit it. (I had to cut a dowel down to act as a shaft extender to fit the volume knobs I have.

I'd simply like a way to cut down on the excess noise. I remember seeing somewhere online that a Resistor across the input should help it, but it's doesn't really do anything.

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 08:19:47 AM »
If you disconnect the input source, does it still make the noise as the volume control is increased?