Author Topic: TWL Obsession or HP Digital American for PS Audio Directstream Dac?  (Read 11861 times)

Offline pursuitofnow

• Seeking Help
What would the difference be between the Triode Wire Labs Obsession compared to the HP Digital American for a PS Audio Directstream Dac? Would it be noticeable?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 12:31:12 PM by pursuitofnow »
VPI Classic Signature (2M Black)
Decware ZP3-25th > ZSTAGE-25th
PS Audio DirectStream DAC
Decware ZTPRE > ZBIT > ZROCK2-25th
Decware SE84UFO3-25th
Omega Super 3 HO XRS, Deep 8
Zenwave D4, ZSTYX, TWL
PI Audio Uberbuss, Digibuss, Mongo

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Hello Jim,
Both are superb choices for your PS Audio Directstream DAC.

The "Obsession NCF", with the crazy expensive FI-50 NCF series of connectors ($385 & up EACH!), has 20% more conductors than the already beefy "High Power Digital American".

The "Obsession NCF" will provide a bit more deeper bass response and a bit more airy & effortless highs, while still remaining balanced. Depth of recordings will appear deeper & wider, while still focused...

I hope this helps...

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline pursuitofnow

• Seeking Help
Thanks, Pete. That does help. I now see why you named it the Obsession :)
Decware SE84UFO3-25th
Zenwave D4, ZSTYX, TWL

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
What would the difference be between the Triode Wire Labs Obsession compared to the HP Digital American for a PS Audio Directstream Dac? Would it be noticeable?
$700.  the main difference.  if you can hear a difference in a controlled evaluation, i will eat my power cord.  8)

doug s.

"If you got ears, you gotta listen!"... Captain Beefheart, aka Don Van Vliet

I'm am not starting a flame war, but EVERYONE who has heard the "Obsession NCF" compared to variety of power cords could hear a distinct DIFFERENCE. As different as changing an amp or preamp or DAC!!! If you can't hear the difference between components, you would not hear the difference between power cords...

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
It's all irrelevant Doug - we all know that cords can't possibly make a difference in an audio system.

:p
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
My 2 cents worth... I've heard many different power cords over the years and never really had a difficult time hearing differences.    I DID have a more difficult time learning what sounded better (my system, my ears).   After I got a chance to use Pete's HPDA power cords, I decided to stop chasing that ever-elusive "best" power cord.   

Would i find the Obsessions sound even better?    Hmmm, probably, but the price difference can keep me in fine bourbon for quite awhile.   

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
$700.  the main difference.  if you can hear a difference in a controlled evaluation, i will eat my power cord.  8)

doug s.
what condiments would you prefer?   8)

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....

doug s.

Damn, you beat me to it.... and only by a few minutes.  ;)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Doug - try an upgraded power cord on your TV. What you see will surprise you, then talk about how it can't make a difference on a stereo.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC

doug s.

Damn, you beat me to it.... and only by a few minutes.  ;)
sorry, if there are meaningful sonic improvements in properly designed power cords, then there's something else wrong somewhere.  either equipment or incoming power, or something.

doug s.
Cables are best designed by filter and transmission line theory.  It is the power that is wrong, not 'necessarily' the gear.

Todays power grids are sewers. The induction and imprintation of noise on the AC grid is continuing to degrade the waveform and unbalanced lines are going to be continuing to degrade in the future.  60Hz AC with a clean waverform went away at the beginning of the electronics age and went into the toilet with the advent of cellphone communication.

The only way to think of a high performance power cable is to consider it the first stage of the power supply, which in reality it is.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 09:59:02 AM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: TWL Obsession or HP Digital American for PS Audio Directstream Dac?
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 10:41:07 AM »

Todays power grids are sewers. The induction and imprintation of noise on the AC grid is continuing to degrade the waveform and unbalanced lines are going to be continuing to degrade in the future.  60Hz AC with a clean waverform went away at the beginning of the electronics age and went into the toilet with the advent of cellphone communication.

Not to mention the garbage that is getting injected back into the grid by all of those rooftop solar systems with cheap crappy inverters.  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »

that's why i use isolation transformers and balanced power isolation transformers on my gear.

quite a few years ago, i noticed the improvement in the sound of my digital gear when i used a separate isolation transformer on my transport and another separate one on my dac.  i am not totally insensitive to power issues, nor am i totally deaf.

doug s.
[/quote]The problem that I have with iso TX is their output impedance and inherent current limiting.

I had a 2.5KVA Topaz Ultra that now belongs to another person on this forum.  Bass was lethargic, lacked slam and lacked the inner detail that makes 'IT' for me.  Highs were colored, lacked a steep rise time and cymbals lacked the harmonic series that gives them the air that makes percussion special.

Offline pursuitofnow

• Seeking Help
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 09:32:30 PM »

doug s.

"If you got ears, you gotta listen!"... Captain Beefheart, aka Don Van Vliet

I'm am not starting a flame war, but EVERYONE who has heard the "Obsession NCF" compared to variety of power cords could hear a distinct DIFFERENCE. As different as changing an amp or preamp or DAC!!! If you can't hear the difference between components, you would not hear the difference between power cords...

Cheers,
Pete
not trying to start a flame war either.  but, my experiences have been different.  and i also believe a competent engineer should be able to design a p/c that's as good as it gets - with connectors included - for less than the price of a single furutech obscenity.  i believe these products are marketed to people who simply like their stuff ludicrously expensive, regardless of sound.

i can hear differences between components. i can hear differences between $10 p/c's and $100 p/c's (if the $100 p/c's are good.)  beyond that, i am happy to say that if there are any differences, they're either too small to be relevant, or no better or worse, just different.  if my ears aren't that refined, thank dog for that.  i'm just after excellent sound,  not into spending absurd sums of cash chasing the unobtainable holy grail. ;)

if anyone has $1400 - or even $700 - and wants to buy a p/c w/that, that's their business.  and more power to them, if it makes them happy.  but i will stand by my prior statement.  it may make them feel better, but it won't give them better sound - imo of course.

ymmv,

doug s.

Hey Doug, has your experience included either of the cables mentioned from Triode Wire Labs?
Decware SE84UFO3-25th
Zenwave D4, ZSTYX, TWL

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »
   So finally the real reason, PRICE. At least you admit to being a cheapskate.  :lol: :rofl:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 01:26:55 PM »
   So finally the real reason, PRICE. At least you admit to being a cheapskate.  :lol: :rofl:

charles
charlie, you weren't paying attention.  price is the real reason, yes - and i made that point from the outset.  and it's not just that i am cheap, (which i am), but i refuse to spend money when it doesn't gain me anything.  i am not much into bling...   8)

doug s.

Doug,
Really? Doesn't gain anything???? How do you know??? You NEVER even tried one of my power cords! How on earth can you make a statement like that?

This reminds of the Cable Naysayers in a NYC audio club. They will bash audiophile cables all day, without ever trying them, since they know better, since they know ALL the rules of physics & science... They are considered the "flat earth society" and their systems sound that way as well... To each, his own!

Rant over,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS