Author Topic: I.C. Reviews and New (to me) cables  (Read 7443 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
I.C. Reviews and New (to me) cables
« on: August 15, 2021, 11:58:36 AM »
Just got another pair of Wywires silver interconnects for a very reasonable price.  I'd reviewed a new silver IC by a new manufacturer late last year, and noted that it was superior to everything I owned... except the 10 year old pair of Wywires.  The new IC's are getting raves over at another audio site, but they are 3-4X pricier, and in my system, not as good.  By reviewing another product, I learned that I could be patient and pick up higher quality for a lower price.  Exposure to new stuff, and patience to buy good older stuff is a hard combination to beat. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: I.C. Reviews and New (to me) cables
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 02:50:21 PM »
I hope this isn’t far off topic-
It’s funny or sad- depending how much money is spent. For a number of years I was ‘seasoning’ my system with warm ancillaries- interconnects, speaker cable, etc. I used gold interconnects from KCI and Anticables speaker cables to add warmth to my Monitor Audio GS60 speakers. I loved the combo when I finally got it right.
Now, I use Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S speakers, and I need the opposite ancillaries. Audience IC’s and Supra speaker cables fit the bill. I bought what some considered a ‘bright’ digital cable from an AN member- the Kimber Illuminati D-60- and it’s perfect.
I’m glad you are enjoying your wires. Silver is what I might try here.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 03:44:21 PM »

I had a pair of KCI silkworms for a while, and they remind me a great deal to the cables I reviewed at AC.  They're good.  I swapped them for the Wywires Silver (which is actually a copper IC) at an even swap.   It's all about your system, your ears, and your brain.... and your budget. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 04:15:48 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 10:01:08 AM »
Just got another pair of Wywires silver interconnects for a very reasonable price.  I'd reviewed a new silver IC by a new manufacturer late last year, and noted that it was superior to everything I owned... except the 10 year old pair of Wywires.  The new IC's are getting raves over at another audio site, but they are 3-4X pricier, and in my system, not as good.  By reviewing another product, I learned that I could be patient and pick up higher quality for a lower price.  Exposure to new stuff, and patience to buy good older stuff is a hard combination to beat.

I am pretty sure I know what you’re referring to and I’m glad the new manufacturer appears to be doing well with his products. The geometry and construction appear very time consuming. Although I’m intrigued to try silver, my copper Audio Envy cables do a great job, especially for the money. That was a recommendation that Charles made and some other members here use Audio Envy as well.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 10:36:41 AM »

I am pretty sure I know what you’re referring to and I’m glad the new manufacturer appears to be doing well with his products. The geometry and construction appear very time consuming. Although I’m intrigued to try silver, my copper Audio Envy cables do a great job, especially for the money. That was a recommendation that Charles made and some other members here use Audio Envy as well.

For the money VG. However there are better available. I use a combo of Triode Wire Labs and Swiss Cable. Better yet.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 10:38:55 AM »
... Although I’m intrigued to try silver, my copper Audio Envy cables do a great job, especially for the money. That was a recommendation that Charles made and some other members here use Audio Envy as well.
Maybe we can swap for a week or two?  None of my group has an Audio Envy interconnect.  I've now got 4 pairs of Wywires Silvers, so I wouldn't miss them (for a short period)
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 10:48:48 AM »
... Although I’m intrigued to try silver, my copper Audio Envy cables do a great job, especially for the money. That was a recommendation that Charles made and some other members here use Audio Envy as well.
Maybe we can swap for a week or two?  None of my group has an Audio Envy interconnect.  I've now got 4 pairs of Wywires Silvers, so I wouldn't miss them (for a short period)

Sure. That would work just fine for me. I’m Audio Envy throughout and that includes 3 pair of the ICs. Pls shoot me a PM and we’ll work out the particulars. I’m in so. Utah
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 07:09:53 PM »

Sure. That would work just fine for me. I’m Audio Envy throughout and that includes 3 pair of the ICs. Pls shoot me a PM and we’ll work out the particulars. I’m in so. Utah

Already sent a private note to Scott, but a quick update to all others … I received one pair of the Wywires today and can really understand why Scott likes them. As I couldn’t find any spare ICs in the garage, I’ve been without music and all I want to do is listen tonight before heading out of town for a few days 🎶🎶
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 07:35:02 PM »

Already sent a private note to Scott, but a quick update to all others … I received one pair of the Wywires today and can really understand why Scott likes them. As I couldn’t find any spare ICs in the garage, I’ve been without music and all I want to do is listen tonight before heading out of town for a few days 🎶🎶

I own Wywires and yes they are very good, My buddy sells them at a deep discount.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 09:01:43 PM »

I own Wywires and yes they are very good, My buddy sells them at a deep discount.

I like the Wywires a lot…. and I only have one pair of the silver ICs in. No need for me to listen for hours and hours to arrive at this conclusion. I will post my impressions in detail another time. I doubt I could afford even a deeply discounted price, but I’m sending you a PM anyway.

Do you own the speaker cables or digital cable as well? Also, the Wywires are silver plating over copper?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 12:22:36 AM »

I like the Wywires a lot…. and I only have one pair of the silver ICs in. No need for me to listen for hours and hours to arrive at this conclusion. I will post my impressions in detail another time. I doubt I could afford even a deeply discounted price, but I’m sending you a PM anyway.

Do you own the speaker cables or digital cable as well? Also, the Wywires are silver plating over copper?

Well, I’m still up listening and it’s quite a treat for me, really. So I may as well post my thoughts. I have only put that one Wywires Silver IC in…

1) the Wywires IC reveals more detail and does so in a beautiful, non-fatiguing way
2) the soundstage is consistently wider
3) the depth has improved as well, but not to the extent of the increase in width
4) the midrange is fuller/richer… instruments and vocals sound so very nice
5) there is improved layering within the soundstage.. by that I mean previously if there was an instrument in the forefront, musicians and vocals behind were present and distinguishable, but now the secondary and tertiary levels are more present and discernible
6) there is a nice improvement in the decay of notes
7) wish I could say this was a quieter cable, but I really don’t know that… I’ll leave that to other guys to measure and figure out

I have played my usual selection of music tonight… many vocals, instrumental, orchestral, some recordings very well done and others quite poorly done. For me, it’s the pleasure of listening to music I love, then the quality comes secondarily. The improvements recently with all the changes I’ve made have come more rapidly and exponentially. I’ve thought the complaints I’ve had over the years as to system harshness would worsen the more revealing my system got. Not so at all and that has really surprised me. So I’m actually very curious to add another Wywires Silver IC and also the digital to finish things. I think the Audio Envy power cables and AE SP 9 speaker cables are fine at this point. I have not gotten around to using software to measure room anomalies and use no room treatments. I haven’t researched the Wywires Silver ICs hardly at all and would be very curious what type of copper wire is used as well as the shielding geometry. Cap Payne of Audio Envy has told me all his wires are shielded and his website describes his extensive R & D. I noted that Alex Sventitsky of Wywires is located in Van Nuys in so. California, down where I used to live. If I still lived there, I’d check it out. If Alex’ Silver level is this good, I wonder how good the Diamond and Platinum are. Thanks, Scott, for suggesting the temporary exchange. I’ll be quite curious how the Audio Envy fares in your analog system.

JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 08:17:52 AM »
  As I said there are better wires than Audio Envy. Just depends on ones budget. I prefer TWL to Wywires in my system. However that is me.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 09:34:06 AM »
Not only just you, but also the gear in your system. There is no one "best" cable. Only what works best in your system.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 10:45:06 AM »
Repeat after me:  Synergy...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 10:52:22 AM »
Not only just you, but also the gear in your system. There is no one "best" cable. Only what works best in your system.

Correct. However most times I bring the "Ref Cable" to someones home as EH Hutton said people listen. Yes synergy plays a very important role however some cables are just superior in every way. Cost IMHO is the biggest factor in choosing one to audition.

charles