Author Topic: SAS Audio Labs 10A tube linestage  (Read 19235 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
SAS Audio Labs 10A tube linestage
« on: June 10, 2007, 04:41:54 PM »
I just bought one from Maxwalrath over @ the AudioCircles.i intend to use The SAS 10A with my SonicFrontiers SFS 80 amplifier in my 2nd two channel rig. has anyone here auditioned the SAS 10A ? he is sending it with a pair of NOS Siemens A-frame E88CC's.
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

lonewolfny42

Re: SAS Audio Labs 10A tube linestage
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 04:49:19 PM »
You got a great buy Bunky....I have compared the 10A to the Modwright....very close...it just lacked a remote, and some didn't care for the two volume controls....but they were not a problem.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 04:54:33 PM »
At Levi's Rave....Jan. 2006

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 04:58:23 PM »
Occams post from Rave...

"nstructions.... We don need to steeek'n instuctions.

The equipment comparisons were between Levy's BAT, and Lonewolf's loaned Modwright and touring SAS 10A. All were quite impressive. The BAT provided deep bass (a bit plummier than the others) with the most extended treble. Its hard to describe a specific component when you're not familiar with all the other components. The Modwright is simply the Modwright.... presenting that overall cohesive picture that I hear whenever its slotted in. The SAS changed radically for the better after 20 minutes of warm up, becoming far clearer and resolving. But in Levy's system, from the upper midrange through the treble, it was a bit hot for my liking, simply not my cuppa.... We'd taken the SAS out of the system, but after remembering the instructions, we flipped that 'tone' toggle from 'neutral' to 'darker', slotter her back in, and voila!!! a radical change. My previous subjective issues with the SAS disappeared. Its not a tone switch, its a 'new preamp' switch, changing far more that just the frequency spectrum. Most notably, I found that the soundstage grew substantially, filling in and becoming far more solid. I can't think of one metric where from my subjective view, in Levy's particular sytem, that I didn't find this toggled preamp prefferable to the very same pre, but a different toggle setting. Frankly, with my limited exposure, I don't know if I could distinguish between the SAS and the ModWright. A fair comparison and evaluation really would require longer term listening and thorough evaluation of all the easily customizable settings on the SAS. And we totally forgot about the SAS's AC polarity switch. Well, at least we had about a 50:50 chance of hearing the AC polarity switch set correctly.
The only conclusion I could draw was that the BAT, MW and SAS are all excellent preamps. A rave isn't the quitest of environments. New Yawkas like to talk and eat, and drink..... but all of those preamps are excellent which merit a longer term (or at least not as distracting an environment) evaluation.

And dang Steve to heck. His interconnects are kickass, clearly stomping my own interconnects that I'd previously been quite happy with. I stole them from the Rave and won't give them back to Loanwolf until Wed.
FWIW.

Many thank to Levy and his gracious wife for hosting such a collection of hooligans. And especially to his son for allowing us to ruin his Saturday.

Many thanks,

RockEmSockEmOccam "

opnly bafld

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »
Hey Bunky,
You got a great deal  :!:
The SAS 10a has been my reference pre for over 3 years and IMO the tonal switch is very useful.
I would highly recommend getting the upgrade that Maxwalrath mentioned.
Last I knew it was @ $200 and it takes a great preamp a notch higher.

Be careful, if you can "adjust" to the dual volume controls (I REALLY like pre's with some sort of balance control) and lack of remote it might replace your Candela as your main pre.  ;)

Lin :D 

WEEZ

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 04:34:50 PM »
Agreed. Steve makes fine pre-amps.

Enjoy!

Offline Bunky

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 02:17:59 AM »
Hey Bunky,
You got a great deal  :!:
The SAS 10a has been my reference pre for over 3 years and IMO the tonal switch is very useful.
I would highly recommend getting the upgrade that Maxwalrath mentioned.
Last I knew it was @ $200 and it takes a great preamp a notch higher.

Be careful, if you can "adjust" to the dual volume controls (I REALLY like pre's with some sort of balance control) and lack of remote it might replace your Candela as your main pre.  ;)

Lin :D 

Hey Lin, yesterday i hooked up the SAS 10A to the SFS 80 and i really like what i hear. that being said i have heard both the Modwright and now the SAS and in my opinion the Candela is in the same class of preamplifiers as the other two. the sonics are similar with all three of these preamps.the SAS will go with the tube powered rig and the Candela will stay with the Mono extreme SE's. if anyone has never listened the Candela i urge them to do so if possible. Alex G designed and voiced it and he did a remarkable job.thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

opnly bafld

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 11:24:44 AM »
I talked to Klaus about a year ago and almost bought a Candela for a second system, but I found a used Musical Design SP2P for a good price and bought it instead.

I don't think I will be able to keep up with you Bunky (8 preamps  :shock:), I only have 3, but I also have 3 integrated amps.
Do they count at all. :lol:

Lin     

Offline Bunky

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 12:33:59 PM »
I talked to Klaus about a year ago and almost bought a Candela for a second system, but I found a used Musical Design SP2P for a good price and bought it instead.

I don't think I will be able to keep up with you Bunky (8 preamps  :shock:), I only have 3, but I also have 3 integrated amps.
Do they count at all. :lol:

Lin     
Hey Lin,i have had nine pre's total.i had an Anthem TLP1 Solid State pre too but the dealer let me return it when it did not cut the mustard.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Bunky

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »
I talked to Steve Sammet From SAS Audio Labs last night and i am going to get the mods that Maxwalrath and Lin suggested for the 10A. i spoke with Steve for well over an hour and he is a very friendly guy who is extremely bright,so bright in fact that it was amazing.i told him about our new Audio forum and i asked him to join Audionervosa. thanks....WCW III
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 06:25:21 PM »
I talked to Steve Sammet From SAS Audio Labs last night and i am going to get the mods that Maxwalrath and Lin suggested for the 10A. i spoke with Steve for well over an hour and he is a very friendly guy who is extremely bright,so bright in fact that it was amazing.i told him about our new Audio forum and i asked him to join Audionervosa. thanks....WCW III

Thanks, Bunky... I'm pretty sure I saw him register... Hope he posts here soon.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 03:20:46 AM »
Hey Carlman, Steve who shared his observations about a certain volume control yesterday on the" what is a preamp ? "topic is Steve Sammet of SAS Audio Labs.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 03:22:36 AM by Bunky »
-- Frank Zappa

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 07:49:16 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome gentlemen and kind comment Bunky and Carl. It is nice to be here and hope to be an asset.

I just went to profile and typed in my signature for full disclosure.

Cheers gents.
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Bunky

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 03:33:55 PM »
 I Just got my upgraded/modded standard 10A back from SAS Audio Labs. though i cant quite put my finger on it the 10A sounds noticably better right out of the box. Steve Sammet sent me a sealed bag with the parts that he removed and replaced. he also installed a IEC connector to replace the original fixed power cord and he also sent me a standard IEC powercord. i am now using one of my Signal Magic power cables with the 10A. thanks....WCW III
-- Frank Zappa

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 09:32:21 AM »
I Just got my upgraded/modded standard 10A back from SAS Audio Labs. though i cant quite put my finger on it the 10A sounds noticably better right out of the box. Steve Sammet sent me a sealed bag with the parts that he removed and replaced. he also installed a IEC connector to replace the original fixed power cord and he also sent me a standard IEC powercord. i am now using one of my Signal Magic power cables with the 10A. thanks....WCW III

Thanks Bunky,

I incorporate the IEC AC power receptacle and upgrade parts in all the new 10As. The power cord is a typical off the shelf type to keep the costs within reason. The 11A incorporates a cryod IEC AC receptacle and the more expensive cryod Jenalabs power cord.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 03:40:01 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers