Author Topic: Let's talk about pre-amps!  (Read 40517 times)

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Re: Let's talk about pre-amps!
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 04:47:58 PM »
"Theory?  Sure.  Reality/experience?  No."

I don't know what you mean by that. Two responses. Are you saying live sounding music is not organic, or good? Or.

I don't understand how one could say that reality and experience counts when one cannot prove, or knows, what a single or combination of accurate components sounds like. By the way, I have done it, so it isn't theory.

"The Zu Definition Pros are not warm speakers, but they're far from sterile.  They relay what comes in quite faithfully."

But how do you know? I am not trying to pick on them, or you. But how do you know how the speaker actually sounds?

"Flipping the question around, if "no sound" is the goal, why use tubes or any active circuitry?  Rich is right, gain certainly isn't an issue in most systems.  I'd go with a TVC or even resistive passive with hi-gain sources and be done for cheap."

I don't understand your question? You mean listen live?

Done on the cheap. But does it sound optimal?? I guess each has to reach his own goals of satisfaction.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 06:25:06 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 04:56:38 PM »
Hey Steve, your "power supply" is certainly not sagging under the load of the inquisition here. Thanks for stepping up and having some fun with us. You are a sport.  Sorry about the load of questions. Mostly rhetorical when I get to ranting like that.

No need to worry about stepping toes here. We love the straight talk, but watchout you might get some back! hehe

I need to read and think about what you and Mike have offered before I embarrass myself further.

Funny enough, a friend is bringing his new CJ preamp over tonight. Straight wire with gain - NOT! But I can't wait to hear it. Don't remember which model.
Rich

Should be interesting. Will you let us know how it comes out?
I will keep my back covered.  :)
I probably should not have critiqued another brand pre.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 04:59:09 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 05:00:10 PM »
i Started with an Anthem Pre 1L for my first tube preamplifier which sounded pretty euphonic with NOS Amperex 7308's. it was kind of like a woman who painted herself with makeup to hide flaws in her complection. since then i have progressively gravitated to cleaner ,faster sounding preamplifiers as they are my preference. Steve Sammet's SAS Audio Labs 10A linestage  reminds me of a beautiful woman who does not use or need makeup and her skin is bare because she is a natural beauty. the 11A must really be stunning.thanks....WCW III  :yay2:
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 05:07:22 PM »
i Started with an Anthem Pre 1L for my first tube preamplifier which sounded pretty euphonic with NOS Amperex 7308's. it was kind of like a woman who painted herself with makeup to hide flaws in her complection. since then i have progressively gravitated to cleaner ,faster sounding preamplifiers as they are my preference. Steve Sammet's SAS Audio Labs 10A linestage  reminds me of a beautiful woman who does not use or need makeup and her skin is bare because she is a natural beauty. the 11A must really be stunning.thanks....WCW III  :yay2:

Thanks Bunky. I probably overstepped my bounds and will probably pay for it. Please accept my apologies.

SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 05:22:29 PM »

Thanks Bunky. I probably overstepped my bounds and will probably pay for it. Please accept my apologies.

Steve,there is no need to apologise. Audionervosa has only two rules #1 No religious posts #2 No Politics. you seem highly Qualified to give your opinions on any topic concerning Audio and most people here welcome your input.  various brands of gear have been openly criticized here several times and we can just agree to disagree and move on to the next topic.no biggie  8) WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

miklorsmith

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 07:46:51 AM »
Are you saying live sounding music is not organic, or good?

No, I'm not saying that.  What I'm saying is that either so-called neutral systems do not recover the rich, organic flow of music, or that this character does not survive digitization and has to be infused at the playback side.  Vinyl is another matter for another discussion.

I don't understand how one could say that reality and experience counts when one cannot prove, or knows, what a single or combination of accurate components sounds like. By the way, I have done it, so it isn't theory.

What is an accurate component?  What are the dimensions of accuracy?  I aim for what sounds to me like accurate portrayal of instruments.  This requires a balancing of component voices.  For instance, If I were running a 2A3 or 300B amp, I would likely want a clean, clear preamp.  If I had a Krell amp, I would almost certainly be looking for a pre with PFAT tone. 

I'm sure Krell says their stuff is accurate, as do many of the SS guys.  All Krell will drive me from the room.  To me, terms like accurate and neutral do not describe what their proponents are intending.

"The Zu Definition Pros are not warm speakers, but they're far from sterile.  They relay what comes in quite faithfully."

But how do you know? I am not trying to pick on them, or you. But how do you know how the speaker actually sounds?

This is a Great question.  The Reality of my Experience with my speakers informs me.  I've had several different preamplifiers, many amps, numerous digital devices, and lots of cables through these speakers.  One of the preamps was a TacT unit and I became intimately familiar with in-room frequency response.  Triangulating between all the data points with lots of gear has given me fair confidence that I know how these speakers sound "in isolation", even though this concept is impossible.  I'm an enigma within in a quandary wrapped in a paradox blanket.

"Flipping the question around, if "no sound" is the goal, why use tubes or any active circuitry?  Rich is right, gain certainly isn't an issue in most systems.  I'd go with a TVC or even resistive passive with hi-gain sources and be done for cheap."

I don't understand your question? You mean listen live?

Done on the cheap. But does it sound optimal?? I guess each has to reach his own goals of satisfaction.

My question was merely, if one wants a preamp with NO signature, a TVC is a cheaper way to achieve that goal than a fully active unit.

It's great to have you involved in this discussion, Steve.  You bring a perspective that I don't think any of the rest of us here have.  You bring your views of what makes a great piece into your work and I have no doubt the 11A is outstanding.  I hope to hear some one day.  It would be instructional to do a side-by-side with my Lamm . . . Hey, mca, what are you using for a pre right now.   :rofl:

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2007, 12:44:13 PM »
Hi Mike,

"No, I'm not saying that.  What I'm saying is that either so-called neutral systems do not recover the rich, organic flow of music, or that this character does not survive digitization and has to be infused at the playback side.  Vinyl is another matter for another discussion."

I think you would be better served if you had a reference point, a foundation. The preamp is the only component that can be tested vs a wire. If I used one method of testing, I certainly could not make a substantial case for myself. But in fact I have three methods, so I can check for any discrepancies. So far none, so I think I have a strong case.
You could have a poor component, or several, compromising components the sound of the CD.

I am able to convey, from a CD, a near perfect (I hate to say perfect) replica of the Peoria symphony orchestra when they performed the Overture to Russlan and Ludmilla by Glinka a couple of months back. Pretty cool to compare a live event to a recording. No problem with a lack of organic flow from my system.

"What is an accurate component?  What are the dimensions of accuracy? I aim for what sounds to me like accurate portrayal of instruments.  This requires a balancing of component voices.  For instance, If I were running a 2A3 or 300B amp, I would likely want a clean, clear preamp.  If I had a Krell amp, I would almost certainly be looking for a pre with PFAT tone."

But is the "accurate portrayal of instrumet" optimal across the entire audio spectrum? Sounds like we have the same goals, wanting realism. But one needs a foundation to work from.
The only problem with haphazardly chosing components is that one sees hundreds of components for sale on audiogon, so alot of dissatified customers using that technique.

"I'm sure Krell says their stuff is accurate, as do many of the SS guys.  All Krell will drive me from the room.  To me, terms like accurate and neutral do not describe what their proponents are intending."

It is difficult with amps, speakers and sources. Those are variables. But the discussion had to do with preamps, and with an accurate preamp a person is one step closer to realism with one less component to worry about. At least one has some sort of a foundation to work from. I found, from experience (47-48 years), that using a sterile preamp with a full sounding amp, or visa versa, always causes problems somewhere in the sound. The less compensation needed, the better the synergy.

>But how do you know? I am not trying to pick on them, or you. But how do you know how the speaker actually sounds?

"This is a Great question.  The Reality of my Experience with my speakers informs me.  I've had several different preamplifiers, many amps, numerous digital devices, and lots of cables through these speakers.  One of the preamps was a TacT unit and I became intimately familiar with in-room frequency response.  Triangulating between all the data points with lots of gear has given me fair confidence that I know how these speakers sound "in isolation", even though this concept is impossible.  I'm an enigma within in a quandary wrapped in a paradox blanket."

I have 48 years experience and knowledge as well. But my foundation of a truly neutral preamplifier helps immensely. It is all a guessing game without some sort of foundation to work from. Something always seems to suffer.

>I don't understand your question? You mean listen live?

>Done on the cheap. But does it sound optimal?? I guess each has to reach his own goals of satisfaction.

"My question was merely, if one wants a preamp with NO signature, a TVC is a cheaper way to achieve that goal than a fully active unit."

Are you sure?

1) One has hysterisis loses in the core which cannot be changed unless different cores are utilized.
2) One also has to deal with non linearities at small signal levels, unless possibly some special circuit is devised.
3) TVCs have self resonant issues, both parallel and even series; from internal and from outside sources (ICs, input cap of device). The result is ringing, or slope deformed. One has to optimally damp those rings at each tap setting on the transformer.

TVCs are not perfect devices by any means.

Then there is the concern of how good is the active "preamp" stage that has been placed in the amplifier? What good is using a good volume control if the active stage is inferior?

"It's great to have you involved in this discussion, Steve.  You bring a perspective that I don't think any of the rest of us here have.  You bring your views of what makes a great piece into your work and I have no doubt the 11A is outstanding.  I hope to hear some one day.  It would be instructional to do a side-by-side with my Lamm . . . Hey, mca, what are you using for a pre right now.   :rofl:

Jon L compared the entire 10A to his Bent, and Martin compared the 11A to the Sonic Euphoria. I think both favorably. A whole preamp vs a volume control, which excluded the next gainstage. Check the following gainstage and the results wouldl favor the active preamp.

When I discussed this yesterday, I had completely forgotten that you had just become a reviewer. I certainly did not mean to try to tear you down Mike, and I hope you do not take it that way. I do hope this discussion will help broaden your horizons further than it already is. All my best Mike.

ps. I also found the 10A to be a little more neutral, organic than the Moddie.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:41:43 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

miklorsmith

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2007, 02:17:43 PM »
Hey, no worries!  I can argue stuff impersonally all day.

I've tested my system with a wire, as you say.  No likey.  Different folks have different visions of truth in sound.

Matching gears is always haphazard, no matter how great they all look on paper.  It sounds like you design your systems around your preamps.  That's cool.  I design mine around my speakers.

On TVCs, Srajan commented in either his Music First or Bent review (maybe both) that he couldn't hear any difference with the unit in or out of the system.  Then, he wound up with a high-gain tone monster of a tubed preamp as his reference and commented that invisibility is not his ultimate choice for a preamp.

I have arrived at the same conclusion on my own road.

Again, I'm sure yours is an excellent unit.  I have not read negative ink spilled anywhere about you or any of your products.  Hopefully I will have a chance to hear one some day.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 03:00:55 PM by miklorsmith »

WEEZ

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2007, 02:46:09 PM »
I've made my thoughts regarding pre-amps pretty well known on this forum (and others) and while I've never had the honor to hear an SAS pre-amp...I agree with Steve's comments regarding pre-amps in general..(notwithstanding his shill for the 11a :duh:)

Remember folks, a good pre-amp will provide a high impedence interface for your source(s); source selection; volume/balance control; and most importantly..voltage gain and current drive for your amplifier.

Aside from "neutrality".. :roll:..to me, the issue of 'gain' is the reason that many have tried to abandon a pre-amp in their system. ( many times with regret...).

The SAS pre-amps are what I would call high gain. (23db according to the website). For many...this is way too much. But if I understand correctly...SAS power amps are 'low gain'.....12db. So used together the total gain is just about right for most systems/rooms. (32-35 is usually about right).

Steve, you and I have had this discussion over at AC. The problem today is, IMHO, that the market is flooded with high gain sources and high gain amplifiers. So with a pre-amp in the system...the volume control(s) are barely cracked open before it gets way too damn loud...hence the trend toward eliminating the pre-amp...sometimes with dismay in the sonics department...leading to frustration.

When will there be some sort of standardization, I wonder.

WEEZ

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2007, 03:14:30 PM »
"I've made my thoughts regarding pre-amps pretty well known on this forum (and others) and while I've never had the honor to hear an SAS pre-amp...I agree with Steve's comments regarding pre-amps in general..(notwithstanding his shill for the 11a :duh:)

I know. I saw bpape's post, so I took license.

"Aside from "neutrality".. :roll:..to me, the issue of 'gain' is the reason that many have tried to abandon a pre-amp in their system. ( many times with regret...)."

You are right Weez. So many adding gainstages to their components, but the extra stage only deteriorates the sound? 

"Steve, you and I have had this discussion over at AC. The problem today is, IMHO, that the market is flooded with high gain sources and high gain amplifiers. So with a pre-amp in the system...the volume control(s) are barely cracked open before it gets way too damn loud...hence the trend toward eliminating the pre-amp...sometimes with dismay in the sonics department...leading to frustration.

Yes, I know Weez. It is like the manufacturers are all thinking the same thing.

"When will there be some sort of standardization, I wonder."

I don't know Weez. It seems everyone is adding stages of gain to knock out the preamps, and able to charge more. How good those added gainstages really are is very questionable imo. It takes alot to make a super stage of gain (check out the physical size of other great preamps) and then inspect the physical size of integrated amps, dacs, etc. There simply isn't enough room to really do an extra gainstage justice. Compromise, compromise seems to be the name of the game these days.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:46:04 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2007, 04:01:26 PM »
"As far as "Matching gears is always haphazard, no matter how great they all look on paper."

Respectfully I have to disagree. With three different ways of testing and no discrepancies, I don't think you have any case.

True with SS, the input capacitance varies all over the place and so can the input Z. There could be a possibility as the input capacitances are different. But we are not talking SS only.

Tube amps have very little input capacitance (a few pf) and the resistance is constant and high. Unless the tube is gassy, there is no issue.

As far as using a monster preamp and invisible being bad, if we are seeking the same goal, which we already agreed we are, then the tonally colored preamp is compensating for an abnormality somewhere else in the system. No way is the compensation going to be perfect, so there are going to be other problems with the system.

I mean what are the odds that a colored sounding  preamp is going to perfectly compensate for the weaknesses in the rest of the system?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:47:51 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2007, 07:26:06 PM »
Wow, this has been wonderful just catching up from where I left off. Great discussion.

I am in the "lower distortion is better" camp. I strive for that and whenever I replace a component that has audible distortion with another that is lower I can listen into the music more deeply and it is overall more rewarding to me. It is true for any part of the system. The trick is that there are many products which go for the zing of pleasant distortion instead of the low distortion approach which as Steve suggests requires exact science and execution to reach precision, rather than tasty sauce poured over toast to make a winning recipe. Example, a speaker wire I recently tried has a nice fat resonant round sound which makes you want to dance around to everything, even Bach organ dirge. It is very "musical" and of course in the right system, that speaker wire is gonna make the listener very happy. It has full extension and sounds powerful and very high quality. But another speaker wire I also listened to this week takes a different approach, reducing distortion, stripping out all that resonance and "make up" as Bunky might call it :) and delivering the signal to speakers as true as possible. At first this does not sound as good when the brain is used to the flavorful sauce. It initially sounds dull in comparison. But once you settle in and start listening, you find that you mind can sink much deeper into the music than the more "musical" sounding wire would allow, and you can choose what you want to focus in on without the zing dragging you over the the spotlighted area. Details are gently just sitting there for you to notice or not, but they are precise and natural. If you want to listen to echo bouncing off the back wall for a whole movement, it is easy and crystal clear. To me the thrill of listening to low distortion system far outweighs any kind of euphonic spin. (No it is not the anticables.  :rofl:  )  Maybe such cables and preamps are intended for and/or voiced using components that are not as low distortion, transparent as could be and thus are made to compensate by adding zing and when the zing is the wrong match for a different amp or a low distortion system the zing is always in the way.

My point is that I can see the logic of the preamp imitating the straight wire. But my question remains If I already have enough gain, and the preamp sounds like a straight wire plus more gain, why am I not just buying tennis lessons instead? I still don't understand technically, electronically "what is a preamp" doing to the signal if "nothing" is the ultimate goal. As WEEZ suggests and I think Steve agreed, if the pre is providing current into a big load where the source is incapable of doing that, then I understand. But when the source has plenty of current (2ma?) and speed to drive the preamp at 50kohm input, then it should be more than happy into half megohm input tube. How does a discreet preamp handle this any better?

I agree with Steve's assessment of TVC in general, but again it is a good example of how resonance can make the system sound more dancy while masking details and inevitably the potential for greater listening enjoyment. But they do have the benefit of being truly passive, needing no power supply other than the signal, and do increase current drive with increased attenutation. If current drive of an active preamp were its major benefit, then TVC would beat any active preamp which had resolution lower than the hysteresis and resistance of the TVC. This has proven to be the case since there are many mediocre preamps out there in the $1000-2000 range and the TVC craze is well underway, starting at $320 plus plane fare from Malaysia. They are cheap and low tech, so fit the budget audiophile's requirements to a tee. Sonic Euphoria autoformer attenuator was reviewed by "Bound for Sound" to sound marginally better than Steve's 10A. There is certainly merit in that approach when only attenuation is desired. Autoformer might be better than transformer types for attenuator duty based on the limited reading I have been able to find on the matter. Less influence of the core hysteresis? I dunno.

Sorry for the length.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2007, 07:44:59 PM »
I'm back!  :roll:

My friend Henry came over with his CJ PV-15 preamp. We had a fun time listening. It is a great sounding preamp when cold. Once it warmed up, one of the Mullard 6C4s started spitting and made it unlistenable. This is a genuine 1970's NOS Mullard tube made in Britain, sounding like a dynamic mic out on a windy day. My friend has about 50 hours on it and was very dissapointed that a brand new, dealer bought, high end component would give him grief so soon. He is a ML man from way back recently converted to tubes and loving/hating it. We swapped the two tubes and the sound moved with it, so easy fix. He will ask CJ to mail new tubes.

Before the tube went psycho, we listened for about 15 minutes. It plays very deep and very high. Freq range is very extended. As with all visiting preamps in my system, there was a presence in it that was different from the straight wire sound I am used to. It makes me insane wndering what they are doing and why, but I am dropping that one for now. The CJ was very pleasant to listen. It was indeed a shiny, slightly coppery mirror on the music, but not so far from natural that you would notice. It did not seem to be an entirely EQ based deviation from wire, but probably harmonic distortion manipulations designed to "enhance your pleasure." Not enough time to try out my various musical tests to listen for certain aspects of performance, but some challenging stuff was handled with ease. Seemed like 5k and 50Hz were slightly bumped with very low Q humps.
Rich

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2007, 05:10:52 AM »
"Wow, this has been wonderful just catching up from where I left off. Great discussion."

Yes, it certainly has been interesting. It just surprised me when I stated that testing and finding the Moddie sterile would raise such a stir. I also forgot, I can guarantee Mike performed the wire test differently than I did. It is tedious, plus I have 2 backups methods to check for any discrepencies or errors.

"But once you settle in and start listening, you find that you mind can sink much deeper into the music than the more "musical" sounding wire would allow, and you can choose what you want to focus in on without the zing dragging you over the the spotlighted area. Details are gently just sitting there for you to notice or not, but they are precise and natural. If you want to listen to echo bouncing off the back wall for a whole movement, it is easy and crystal clear. To me the thrill of listening to low distortion system far outweighs any kind of euphonic spin."

I agree Rich. It is amazing to hear true inner detail, rather than artificially flavored sound. I think one problem is that one equates accurate/neutral/wire to sterile when it just sounds like the instrument, natural like you stated. If one finds a live instrument in a orchestra to sound sterile, I think the consumer needs to know that up front. I am not against euphonic as the consumer likes what he/she like. I personally like natural though.

Hearing the echoes off the walls in the recording studio, as you mention, I find that quite gratifying. It helps me in the realism aspect. Normally, from my experience, it seems one has to settle for either sterile and hear inner detail, or natural/organic and miss the details. Not always the case, but often. I want detail and natural/organic.

"Maybe such cables and preamps are intended for and/or voiced using components that are not as low distortion, transparent as could be and thus are made to compensate by adding zing and when the zing is the wrong match for a different amp or a low distortion system the zing is always in the way."

I agree. 

"But my question remains If I already have enough gain, and the preamp sounds like a straight wire plus more gain, why am I not just buying tennis lessons instead?"

That is a problem Rich. I think the other components in the system need to rid of their inferior sounding gainstages, CD players, integrated amps included; so a superior gainstage can be installed, thus improving the naturalness.

I think one of the problems is that there are so many inferior preamps on the market that adding a gainstage to a dac, or integrated amp, sounds no worse. Budget and a mass market also does not help as it is less expensive in the short run to eliminate and external preamp. But there just isn't enough space in a dac or integrated amp to design a superior preamp gainstage. In the long run, Audiogon is alive and well.

"I still don't understand technically, electronically "what is a preamp" doing to the signal if "nothing" is the ultimate goal."

It simply allows switching sources and controlling voltage gain. Actually the preamp is in the signal path in all systems Rich. It is just a matter of where, physically, it is located and if that physical location allows for maximizing the quality of the gainstage. One could consider the op amps in cd players a preamp stage. Certainly, the first stage in an integrated amp is a preamp stage since it immediately follows the volume control, just like a real external preamp.

Recently, I see terminology has been changing. One advertisement actually stated their amplifier had a passive preamp built in. What happened to the active preamp gainstage?
Actually it is still there, they just changed the name to amp stage. But the impression I got, and probably others, was that the company somehow eliminated a gainstage from the system. 

"As WEEZ suggests and I think Steve agreed, if the pre is providing current into a big load where the source is incapable of doing that, then I understand. But when the source has plenty of current (2ma?) and speed to drive the preamp at 50kohm input, then it should be more than happy into half megohm input tube. How does a discreet preamp handle this any better?"

The preamps are "coloring" the sound to compensate for an inferior source, say a cd player. Whether op amps (which leave alot to be desired), to inferior parts and design of the player itself, or even tube analog stages installed in the player; there just isn't room to really do the analog stage justice. I wish cd players would rid the analog stage itself so one could direct feed to a high quality external preamp to begin with.

"I agree with Steve's assessment of TVC in general, but again it is a good example of how resonance can make the system sound more dancy while masking details and inevitably the potential for greater listening enjoyment. But they do have the benefit of being truly passive, needing no power supply other than the signal, and do increase current drive with increased attenutation."

I think one has to concentrate on the following gainstage as well Rich. That is the key. When one compares those two stages vs the best external active preamp, one then has an apple to apple comparison. One cannot leave out the gainstage following the tvc and have a fair comparison.

"Sonic Euphoria autoformer attenuator was reviewed by "Bound for Sound" to sound marginally better than Steve's 10A. There is certainly merit in that approach when only attenuation is desired."

I was surprised how good a complete preamp, with active gainstage, sounded compared to just a volume control, the following gainstage (in the amp) left out. Martin mentioned it was  apples to oranges comparison.

"Sorry for the length."

No problem with the length. Good discussion.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 06:09:10 AM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2007, 07:25:34 AM »
If I can add my 2 cents....

To me, the replication of a straight wire  is a nice philosophy, but in reality, it is rarely what is actually desirable. WAAAAY less than even a few % of the hardcore audiopohiles have associated components that when used together are even close to neutral..

Next, a true straight wire will not be sterile - it will be neutral.

Lastly, the idea that one can put together a system of all neutral components and that should be the ideal is just not realistic - sorry.  First there are budgetary issues - 'nuff said.  Then there is the rest of reality.  Most people have rooms that will better support one sort of speaker or another.  Placement is compromised and almost always will be.  So, now we have a suboptimal pair of speakers set up suboptimally in a suboptimal room.

Now, maybe in hopes of getting something that works better in that room, we've selected something that places special requirements on the amplifier (the interfaces and interactions between an amp and different speakers is an entire 'nother subject).  Let's say that in order to get the best imaging, we've compromised optimal room coupling - or we have one that is a very reactive load - or dips down to 2+ohms in places.  So, now we select an amp that will really grab hold of the bottom end, is stable down to those loads, and has that nice 'solid bottom end' (another eupony for sure - but again, realistic).

So now, we have a less than 'wire with gain' amp, driving speakers that aren't set up perfectly for everything (impossible), in a room that isn't built for audio, and....  well, you get the point.

Now, after all that, why is the preamp so special that it shouldn't be used to 'tune' the overall system performance?  Is it the 'royalty' of the system that deserves special treatment?  I think not.
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley