Author Topic: Toe In - Crossing In Front of the Listening Position  (Read 33172 times)

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Toe In - Crossing In Front of the Listening Position
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 03:02:29 PM »
Madness is "putting your head in a vice" and calling it an enjoyable past time.   :roll:

Offline miniminim

• Seeking Help
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 03:10:15 PM »
They say obsession is characterized by the re-doubling of effort after the initial goal is forgotten.
If that goal was the enjoyment of good music, then much is madness in the audiophile world.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 03:16:35 PM »
They say obsession is characterized by the re-doubling of effort after the initial goal is forgotten.
If that goal was the enjoyment of good music, then much is madness in the audiophile world.

Absofuckinglutely  :clap:

My fantasy is a motorized dolly under each speaker, connected to PC, running software that sends test signal to stereo, receives acoustic response by microphone, sends instructions for the dolly to move, repeat ad infinitum or until the bell rings, "ding ding ding - your speakers are placed, thank you." It gradually hones in to perfect location and toe for any speaker in any room. Purists might wonder, "what fun is that?" but I think it would be fun as hell to watch that thing struggle while I snicker and sip my beverage. As long as it really works.

Meantime, still happy with Carl's setup of my speaks. Toe: Inside edges pointed right at me. Ears and tweets in an equal triangle. I did move the seat in about a foot closer tho'

Offline miniminim

• Seeking Help
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 03:55:05 PM »
My fantasy is the same, but with microphones instead of speakers.

My solution is to manually place microphones, but with a long headphone extension, a pair of -30dB shooter's earmuffs and a pair of Etymotic Research ER4S earphones. Gives about 55dB+ ambient attenuation.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:57:17 PM by miniminim »

Bigfish8

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 04:03:48 PM »
My fantasy is a motorized dolly under each speaker, connected to PC, running software that sends test signal to stereo, receives acoustic response by microphone, sends instructions for the dolly to move, repeat ad infinitum or until the bell rings, "ding ding ding - your speakers are placed, thank you." It gradually hones in to perfect location and toe for any speaker in any room. Purists might wonder, "what fun is that?" but I think it would be fun as hell to watch that thing struggle while I snicker and sip my beverage. As long as it really works.

Rich:

With the monsters you have to move I could only imagine how a motorized, robot dolly would make you a very happy audiophile! :rofl:  Hell, I can only imagine what a major undertaking it is just to move those babies a fraction of an inch! 

Ken

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 06:25:43 PM »
It's great to hear you're happy with that positioning, Rich.  Getting a little closer to them probably helps reduce the room reflection/illusion reducing effect.  We could set it up more nearfield.. the speakers will need to come in more.  Or you could just finish those panels. :)  Then you'll get to hear your system for the first time.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 07:48:53 PM »
Moving the seat in a little closer helped a lot with the bass response, and fortunately imaging wasn't hurt. I'm finally making progress on the treatments again after a long hiatus on audio projects, and I'm really looking forward to hearing it finished!

Ken, it's not too bad to move them on a slippery carpet with furniture sliders. But after Master Set procedure I was sore the next day.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 08:44:49 PM »
Rich, you're a sick man. But I understand.
As a fellow "sicko", and DIY kinda guy, I've thought about using R/C (radio control) technology to position speakers remotely via servoes from the seated position. They'd be placed on a lazy Susan type "table" and controlled from the transmitter in my hands.

That's a Helluva lot of time and effort spent NOT listening to music.....all in the name of improving what the music sounds like when I do (finally) have a chance to listen to it.  :duh
Dammit man.

Bob

Offline richidoo

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 05:56:27 AM »
Cool idea.  But you know eventually RC speaker races would break out in your theater.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 06:10:08 AM »
HA HA  :rofl:
Yea, that's true. But that's why I have to show some restraint and only allow them to swivel, and maybe tilt a few degrees.

Bob

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 11:09:23 AM »
Your not listening boys. That Sheffield Disc is the ticket for the final tuning.  The simplicity of of hearing the sound all around you is the key. Works everytime .
Rich I'll burn you a copy to spread around. I believe I still have your address. Proof is in the pudding.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »
Rollo said...  Don't worry, we're listening... ;)

But the magic disk doesn't move the heavy beasts for ya, it just rubs it in how wrong they are! haha   
Will your Sheffield phase trick work in a non-symmetric room shape? I have no right wall.  :(

Is this the disk you mean Charles?
http://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-Coustic-Set-Up-Test-Disc/dp/B00000J7TU/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_4
or one of these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700CDSET/Autosound-2000-CD-Set.html?search=test+CD&ssi=0

A little off topic, but another magic test disk... Henry (bmr3hc) was telling me about his new Ayre break in disk a couple days ago with glowing testimony.
http://www.ayre.com/accessories.cfm?accessID=1

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2009, 06:28:01 AM »
Rollo said...  Don't worry, we're listening... ;)

But the magic disk doesn't move the heavy beasts for ya, it just rubs it in how wrong they are! haha   
Will your Sheffield phase trick work in a non-symmetric room shape? I have no right wall.  :(

Is this the disk you mean Charles?
http://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-Coustic-Set-Up-Test-Disc/dp/B00000J7TU/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_4
or one of these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700CDSET/Autosound-2000-CD-Set.html?search=test+CD&ssi=0

A little off topic, but another magic test disk... Henry (bmr3hc) was telling me about his new Ayre break in disk a couple days ago with glowing testimony.
http://www.ayre.com/accessories.cfm?accessID=1

Yes Rich works in any room. When you achieve getting the sound to be equally all around the room compared to the mono signal its quite easy. You then adjust the speaker on the side the signal is favoring. Adjust toe in and move speaker incrementally sideways ,back and forth until you hear it all around the room.
  Truly a no brainer and easy to do with the wife or a buddy. That disc cover does not look familiar, maybe a reissue not sure.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 07:05:57 AM »
Cool    8)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 09:38:32 AM »
Is it really important which out of phase pink noise generator you use to implement that placement method?  I mean, any noise you can generate can be made out of phase at the speakers.
I really enjoy listening to music.