Author Topic: Anybody know anything about this product?  (Read 4399 times)

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Anybody know anything about this product?
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:50:34 AM »
Vendor quote:

"Get Your System on Solid Ground with the Audio Prism Ground Control!  AudioPrism’s new Ground Control is going to be one of the most talked about audiophile accessories of the year. Like their revolutionary QuietLine AC Filter and the beloved and world famous CD Stoplight, AudioPrism's Ground Control will have you shaking your head in disbelief at the improvement!

How it Works: The Audio Prism Ground Control provides a self-contained local ground storage mechanism for all of the electrostatic moments that occur in music being reproduced via a given circuit or component.  Yeah, we didn't understand it either.  In plain terms, the Ground Control creates a star-ground reference plane which stabilizes the electrical fields wherever it's placed, giving the connected component a greater grounding than the negative post of the loudspeaker, allowing the music to come together with astonishing time and phase accuracy.

The improvement is immediate; you’ll hear more air around instruments and voices. You’ll experience the natural decays of live music as your system finally starts to deliver levels of reproduction about which you always dreamed."

Link:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/86638

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
Re: Anybody know anything about this product?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:43:49 AM »
Interesting to say the least. Music Direct has a money back guarantee. Now that's even more interesting. I would like to try these but not real sure of any long term effect. Would love to hear from someone who has tried these. I am always skeptical of these kinds of tweaks, but after trying the Ayre Enhancement Disc, that one made a believer out of me.

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:47:16 AM »
Acoustic Revive makes RGC24 something similiar. I have heard VG reports on the AR model but nothing yet on this one.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:28:55 AM »
The write up seemed to make sense in that a single point ground reference is always a good thing in a multi-component system, but the train kind of came off the tracks when I looked at the picture in the link and saw that this device is only connected at one end to the component and just looks like it is hanging in free space at the other end. From an engineering point of view I'm not sure how something can "creates a star-ground reference plane" when it is in no way connected to ground. Perhaps this is just the technically illiterate babble of some marketing writer, but it just doesn't seem to match up with what I see in the picture.

That said, from an audiophile point of view I realize that just because something cannot be explain well in an advertising piece does not mean that it wound make a sonic improvement. (Take this from someone who has heard first hand the effects of magic fish tank gravel and glowing rocks  aa ) There have been many times that we have put something into our systems that by all logical thinking should have no effect at all and ended up saying  :wtf: when we listened to it. I have become a firm believer in "just because we can't explain it in layman's term, doesn't mean that it doesn't work." Of course there are also plenty of things that one would have thought should help a lot that didn't do squat. The key here is to experiment (especially when you can get a money-back guarantee  :) ) and network with other people who do. Unfortunately, my toy budget is way past shot for the next few months, so for now I will have to stay in the second category.  :(

But Audio Prism has made some significant products in the past and is not known as a snake oil company so I would be very interested to hear back from anyone who decides to give these things a whirl.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 03:21:31 AM »
There isn't much to be found on this device, even Audio Prism only has a one page background write up on it.  I'm an old school audio fart when it comes to accessories. 

Bud Purvine, who owns O-Netics (high end audio transformers) and has modded my Fostex F200A drivers with the EnABL method he helped to pioneer in the 70's, mentioned that he might be sending along a pair for me to trial.  He said, "They should provide a noticeable amount of information retention, over and above what the EnABL'd drivers would ordinarily display. Just hook them up and listen, after you get used to the treated 200 A's. Give them about 3 hours to charge. To see what you really think, take them back off and play music for a couple of minutes, to discharge the system and then re connect them."

I don't begin to understand either how a loose wire can create grounding.  Don't know with my setup (speaker cables running directly from the monoblocks to the drivers) and the spring loaded posts on the drivers if I can even make a decent connection with them, but if he sends them I'll try to give it a shot.  My chip based monoblocks probably aren't good candidates for this either as the signal path of chip amps are so short (some as low as 9 mm).