Author Topic: Class A/AB?  (Read 12148 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Class A/AB?
« on: November 02, 2007, 02:49:44 PM »
What does "ultra high bias class A/AB mean?"

Parasound JC1 amps say they run at switchable 10W/25W class A before morphing magically to 400@8ohms class AB above that. What is going on with the signal and the output devices that makes them A or AB? I assume the changeover to class AB is inaudible? (except for the deafening roar of music...)
Thanks a lot!
Rich

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Re: Class A/AB?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 07:25:15 AM »
What does "ultra high bias class A/AB mean?"

Parasound JC1 amps say they run at switchable 10W/25W class A before morphing magically to 400@8ohms class AB above that. What is going on with the signal and the output devices that makes them A or AB? I assume the changeover to class AB is inaudible? (except for the deafening roar of music...)
Thanks a lot!
Rich

Hi Rich,

In essence, in simplified terms, it means the output devices, transistor/tube, bias is set on each output transistor/tube so that each output transistor/tube fully conducts the entire signal until 10/25 watts output is reached. In class A below 10/25 watts output, as one device reduces plate current, the other device is increasing plate current. However, none of the devices ever fully completely turn off during the negative portion of the musical cycle.

As the output power is rises above 10/25 watts respectively, each output transistor/tube begin to shuts off over more and more of the negative portion of the musical signal. As one device turns off, the other output device (push pull application) increasingly turns on. This is a very simplified explanation. The above links provide more in depth info for those who wish to explore further.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 07:27:46 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 09:55:07 AM »
Beautiful. Thanks guys!! Looking forward to getting a grip on this.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 11:29:46 AM »
Good luck and just received the CD a few minutes ago. Thanks for your time and efforts with the details and CD.
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers